Author Topic: PBP publicity in local newspapers  (Read 7666 times)

DanialW

PBP publicity in local newspapers
« on: 04 February, 2011, 09:54:51 am »
Hi everyone

At the AUK AGM, one of our founding fathers made the very good point that AUK should feature a lot more in local newspapers. I agree entirely. My local papers feature plucky cyclists on long rides every week, so I see no reason why we shouldn't grab a piece of the action.

I need your help though. Are you planning on riding PBP? Would you mind featuring in you local newspaper?

If so, can you send me the following?

Your full name and age.
Address, telephone number and email address.
A couple of sentences about your riding background, and what motivates you to ride PBP.

No rush on this - I'll probably get busy with this in the summer. No harm in building up a list now though, and the more the merrier.

If possible, email all this to audaxatdanialwebbdotcom.

Cheers!

Danial

DanialW

Re: PBP publicity in local newspapers
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »
Anyone? Surely some of you are feeling a bit more up for this now you've qualified?

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2011, 06:48:15 pm »
The local newspaper overhere usually covers PBP a bit. Last time they sent a reporter & a photographer over to France. They did a magnificent piece, 2 pages central spread in the sports part of the saturday paper plus a teaser on friday.

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »
Cor!

My local papers are littered with articles about cyclists being bold. The publicity is there for the taking, if we want it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
My local papers are littered with articles about cyclists being bold. The publicity is there for the taking, if we want it.

Mine are too.

Some of them even did more than 35 miles  :o :o :o

Almost all the stories are about sponsorship.
It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »
My local rag this week has a big piece about someone doing a gruelling 1,000 mile ride over 10 days with a full support crew in tow....  I guess all things are relative.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

DanialW

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »
Why not show them how it's really done, Redlight? Are you riding PBP?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »
My local rag this week has a big piece about someone doing a gruelling 1,000 mile ride over 10 days with a full support crew in tow....  I guess all things are relative.

I did that sort of thing (full support team) in 1980 by cycling 440miles in about 42hrs from Caernarvon to Fort William; but I did take time out (9hrs) to run over Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in my version of the 3peaks.  My local press did a story as did the odd Cycling mag. GBoR eventually published my ride as a Record, which was nice.

I suppose a problem we have is that we under-value what we do (in the eyes of J-Public it might look different), as we take it (our commitment and suffering) for granted.  Also, if we were to go for sponsorshihp for every long (how long is long?) ride we do, our catchment of Sponsors would quickly run dry.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:13:49 pm »
Nice article Danial!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
If you finish in under 40 hours Daniel (see article in the newspaper)  I'll buy you a pint!   

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:25:54 pm »
I won't withdraw my offer, but on re reading the article it quotes Paris - Brest in under 40 hours, "Candidates should read the question" Ooops!

DanialW

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »
I won't withdraw my offer, but on re reading the article it quotes Paris - Brest in under 40 hours, "Candidates should read the question" Ooops!

Yes, this is what happens when you conduct an interview by email!

EDIT - actually, the reporter's got it right. You do have to get to Brest in under 40 hours.

DanialW

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
Plenty of time to get some more articles in, if folk are up for it. Just drop me a line, and I'll arrange it for you.

It's all good publicity for Audax UK.  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »
Indeed!.

Personally I'd make more of the accessibility of the 50km and 100km rides as starters. If I'd read that article as a leisure cyclist my ring would still be clenched!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

DanialW

« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
Indeed!.

Personally I'd make more of the accessibility of the 50km and 100km rides as starters. If I'd read that article as a leisure cyclist my ring would still be clenched!!!

Don't worry, there are plans for articles about shorter rides. This is just one mini-campaign among several. Doomed to be very mini too, unless I get some more willing riders.

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »
Danial,

I'd be up for something like this if you like. I remember promising you a ride report a few months ago that never materialised...

I'm not sure where you'd take it though, as the Edinburgh Evening News often makes Clarkson seem mamil-like!

DanialW

« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »
Danial,

I'd be up for something like this if you like. I remember promising you a ride report a few months ago that never materialised...

I'm not sure where you'd take it though, as the Edinburgh Evening News often makes Clarkson seem mamil-like!

Cheers mister!

Never underestimate the capacity of local newspapers for stories about cyclists riding long distances. My local papers feature at least one cyclist a week.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »
Why not show them how it's really done, Redlight? Are you riding PBP?

I will!  I am actually planning to use PBP to raise some money for a charity being set up in memory of a friend's son, who died at 13 months of something that could have been diagnosed had the local hospital had better equipment, so I'm just waiting for all their paperwork to be in place and a web site set up for people to donate. THEN I'll be on to the local rag!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

DanialW

« Reply #19 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:29:08 am »
I will!  I am actually planning to use PBP to raise some money for a charity being set up in memory of a friend's son, who died at 13 months of something that could have been diagnosed had the local hospital had better equipment, so I'm just waiting for all their paperwork to be in place and a web site set up for people to donate. THEN I'll be on to the local rag!

Happy to help. I've got the spiel down pat now. PM me if you like.

DanialW

« Reply #20 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:31:52 am »
OK, so far I've got journos on the case in Norwich, Wimbledon, Basingstoke and Edinburgh. Tod news has splashed me all over the back of their latest edition.

I'd really like to do some more of these. It's good, free publicity for what we do, and the opportunities are there for the taking.

If you're riding PBP, and can spare 10 minutes, drop me a line and I'll do the legwork for you.  :thumbsup:

Tinez

• a Surly man
« Reply #21 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:38:02 am »
I might also be able to chip in and I'm based in Edinburgh too.

DanialW

« Reply #22 on: 12 July, 2011, 10:34:39 am »
I might also be able to chip in and I'm based in Edinburgh too.

Edinburgh is the one place I'm good for willing volunteers, alas.

I've got articles published or in the pipeline for riders in Edinburgh (2), York, Ripon, Todmorden, Norwich, Basingstoke, Redbridge and Wimbledon. So, if you live in another area to this, and don't mind seeing your photo in the local rag, drop me a line. The papers seem really keen on this story, so it's a good opportunity for us to get Audax UK some free publicity.

DanialW

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:33:47 am »
Sloppy journalism, but a nice, positive report. The print version has a good photo of Rod.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/football/9138083.Quintrell_set_for_epic_Fre/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #24 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:41:46 am »
Sloppy journalism, but a nice, positive report. The print version has a good photo of Rod.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/football/9138083.Quintrell_set_for_epic_Fre/
5000 miles?!  Wow, that's some ride he's doing.  Has spacetime been warped between Paris and Brest since I last checked?