Author Topic: PBP - Fixed Gearing  (Read 3155 times)

rob

PBP - Fixed Gearing
« on: 05 February, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »
I am attempting my 4th PBP on Fixed.   My first fixed SR was done on 70" last year which suited me for gently rolling rides.   I get the feeling I'll need something a bit lower for days 3-4.   

The bike is set up with 48*18, but there's space on the other side for another sprocket.   I'm toying with putting a 20 on the other side to give me a 63" and then flipping the wheel later in the ride if needed.   

Any thoughts ?

Ta

Rob

border-rider

Re: PBP - Fixed Gearing
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2011, 03:38:36 pm »
I'd stick with what works.

I geared up a tad last time for the dash out of Paris, but ended up turning the wheel back to the usual at the first control and leaving it there.  In 2003 I just rode on my usual gear.  

The terrain is pretty benign but it's not flat, as you know.  On days 3 & 4 having to spin on downhills may hurt more/be more tiring than rolling along in a normal gear.  The descent of the Roc is a good test of how your arse is fairing at that point...

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »
67" was good enough for the Elenith, BCM and LEL, plus my pan flat commute across London so that's what I'll be using for (my debut) PBP.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »
there is an article on sheldon brown's site, and the rider says:

"It really is a good route for a fixed gear. The hills are constant, but none of them are ridiculous. I never needed to even think about getting off and walking on any of them."

she was riding 42x16

http://sheldonbrown.com/pbp-emily-obrien.html

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:44:35 pm »
I rode a 43x17 in 99. The only slightly grunty bit was up through the forest on the final leg (where they stand with bugles or bells to encourage you).

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:05:29 am »
On most Audaxes I ride 48x18. During the last PBP I rode with 48x17 and took an 18t sprocket with me with the intention of changing it for the hillier Brittany end of the ride. In the end I didn't feel the need to change and the gear suited me fine throughout.

I actually found a slightly higher gear helpful on the foresty bit on the final leg as combined with bugle playing supporters and the scent of Paris, stopped me from going into pootle mode.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »
All this talk is making me think maybe.

I ride 48x20 around here as it's a but lumpy but I have an 18t (flip-flop) option. I've not ridden much more than 150km fixed yet so I'd need to give it a go first - change the saddle too - but, yes, no reason why not. 

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »
I rode a 43x17 in 99. The only slightly grunty bit was up through the forest on the final leg (where they stand with bugles or bells to encourage you).

I seemed to be turbcharged going up that, and passed about 300 people :)