Author Topic: What is a Sportive - A Debate  (Read 4877 times)

Rapples

What is a Sportive - A Debate
« on: 11 March, 2011, 08:48:56 am »
What defines a Sportive?

I ask because our club are organising a ride to celebrate 80 years this summer.  The idea is an 80k ride with a 40k option, fairly low key and local.

The motive is to attract new members who probably haven't belonged to a cycling club before, including families.

The term Sportive is I think more widely understood amongst the non-cycling fraternity, and is an obvious choice of terminology to use for what is a longish bike ride.

In the olden days we'd have called it a Reliability Ride, so what makes it a Sportive?

Alouicious

Re: What is a Sportive - A Debate
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
My perception of a 'Sportive' is that it involves some sort of competition. Usually on cyclosportives, the competition is against the clock.

Bike rides to attract new members to clubs, including families, have in my memory been short affairs where parents and children are not expected to ride any more than ten miles. To somewhere where the children can pester their parents for a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps.

40km ( 25 miles ) in my estimation won't attract families. Remember these 16" wheel bikes only top out at 10 - 12 mph on a flat stretch. This means the kids are gonna be in for 2 1/2 hours at least in the saddle. To a kid, that's a whole afternoon at school, and you know how long that seemed.

I have seen these kind of 10 mile 'introductory' rides advertised as 'Family fun rides' rather than something that implies an element of 'racing'.

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
Don't underestimate the kids !
It's some of the parents who will struggle with 40 km  !!

If the kids are old enough to be cycling on the road independently (but with parents), chances are they will not be on 16" wheels.

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:42:52 am »
I take on board what you've said, but we are I suppose aiming at riders who are already out there but not in a club.

By families I was thinking more of teenagers etc.

If they can't manage 40k at a reasonable pace they are not going to enjoy being in a club.  On the other hand it may inspire them to more if they enjoy it and feel a sense of achievement.

I'm also thinking of linking two loops of 40k together from the start point, that way people can choose to stop or go the longer distance.

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:49:01 am »
An electronic timing system.
A supply of free energy gels / bars
A goody bag at the end
A photography company
A fully signposted route
Feedstations
Massages available at the end
A bike cleaning station at the end
Up to 1000 riders

Generally a slick commercial enterprise, costs £15 upwards to enter, and the sponsors demonstrate ways to lighten your wallet further. I'm not knocking them here BTW, this is my experience. They seem to appeal to a lot of people.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:55:10 am »
A common approach is to pitch the different rides differently e.g.
Come along and choose the ride for you, they're all on nice roads and we're sure you'll have fun!
10 mile fun ride
25 mile challenge
60 mile Sportive

Or something!

I take on board what you've said, but we are I suppose aiming at riders who are already out there but not in a club.

By families I was thinking more of teenagers etc.

If they can't manage 40k at a reasonable pace they are not going to enjoy being in a club. 
That's a bit sweeping - a club can put on a ride of 40k at a gentle pace, as well as the (stereotype of) 70miles at 18-20mph. Or anything in between.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:58:29 am »
The motive is to attract new members who probably haven't belonged to a cycling club before, including families.

I'd suggest taking away any mention or thought of timing, or deadlines for the novices. You'd also need shepherds to go with them, helping with route-finding, advising on riding, encouraging them and generally being welcome hosts. The last thing you want is for you to say "Not one of them said they enjoyed it." at the end.
It is simpler than it looks.

Alouicious

« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:11:44 am »

I'd suggest taking away any mention or thought of timing, or deadlines for the novices. You'd also need shepherds to go with them, helping with route-finding, advising on riding, encouraging them and generally being welcome hosts. The last thing you want is for you to say "Not one of them said they enjoyed it." at the end.

Point taken.

When one organises a 'leisure ride' for all comers of all ages, make it as easy as possible.

When one organises an Audax or sportive for a group of adults who 'blag' you they are He-men, take them straight into the deep end  ;D

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:28:21 am »
A sportive is a pretend race.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:29:10 am »
A local charity organises the following each year which is very well attended:

i) 50km ride, with a competitive element
ii) 25km ride, aimed more at older children etc (I took my 9 year old on this one)
iii) "Ride around the rugby pitch as much as you like" aimed at the younger kids

i.e. it was aimed overall at the whole family, a bit of everything for everyone.

It was only a few quid to enter, if I recall.

I think several hundred people showed up.