Author Topic: PBP campsite ?????  (Read 12278 times)

PBP campsite ?????
« on: 18 April, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone found a campsite near the start ...I,ve found one 10 km from start but would like to be closer.

There was talk about temporary campsite near the start so I don't want to book a site if it might materilize.

Any suggestions/idea's/ words of wisdom  ???

dave

( short, fat ,baldie bloke usually bringing up the rear )
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: PBP campsite ?????
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone found a campsite near the start ...I,ve found one 10 km from start but would like to be closer.

Why?  Would you have trouble riding 10km?  ;D  ::-)

red marley

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2011, 03:41:20 pm »
2007 was my first PBP and before the event I was worried that I'd be too far out from the start. My nervous reasoning went "PBP is twice as long as anything I've ever ridden before; I just might find I physically can't cycle that far; so every extra km riding to or from the start is going to make me even more likely to fail".

The reality was very different. With an evening start, a leisurely 10km ride to the start along with hundreds of others is great for building up the excitement. An in the scheme of things makes absolutely no difference to energy levels. If anything it would be helpful just as a final check that bike and legs are in full working order. An the 10km back after the event, after a celebratory drink at the end is a great opportunity to congratulate yourself for making it round.

So a campsite 10km form the start sounds perfect to me (apologies if you are an old hand at this and know it already).

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
can  manage 10 k its 1220 k i'm worried about  :facepalm: :thumbsup:
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:05:12 am »
Hi
Can I ask which campsite it is - do you have a URL?
More generally about the use of campsites, I've been intending to camp if possible, but have been fretting about security.
What are the chances of my tent, thermarest mat, sleeping bag, nice new panniers, stove etc all still being where I left them when I return after doing PBP?  (I will be cycling to Paris so won't have a car to lock stuff in).
Thanks
Steve

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »
I would like to camp so if anyone can recommend a site I would be most grateful.

O'LEL what have I done!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2011, 01:32:07 pm »
Google Maps is quite close but fairly small and already booked up, according to Huttopia Versailles (Versailles, France) - Campground Reviews - TripAdvisor
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »
The whole question of leaving stuff during the ride is quite vexing. I'll have just a few random things but important ones (bike & wheel bag, proper tools for reassembly, travelling clothes) that are not practical to ride with.

So far, I'm gritting my teeth and following the advice to not think about accommodation because it's too soon (and/or everything's booked out already), but it's tricky. I've got my ticket to arrive in Paris now late Friday morning...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:25:52 pm »
Ah excellent - thanks for pointing that out!

I wonder whether to bring a tent now after all...  the atmosphere will probably be pretty sweet (and I have a pair of earplugs)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:10:05 am »
Excellent news. That's me sorted. And it looks as if it's 'tents only' - no campervans.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »
Awesome. That's the last little bit of the jigsaw to fall into place! Well, there's a 600 to do but othetwise.....
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »
I certainly gives some options for people.

The hotel I'd booked for the night before won't allow me to leave a small backpack with them during PBP, so I'm needing some 'left luggage' options. I'll see what google has to tell me about local railway stations...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
I certainly gives some options for people.

The hotel I'd booked for the night before won't allow me to leave a small backpack with them during PBP, so I'm needing some 'left luggage' options. I'll see what google has to tell me about local railway stations...
Yes, I was thinking about that approach. OR share a better hotel at the finish, where they WILL take left luggage!

[I haven't forgotten the kind offer from a particular YACFer to store my stuff in their vehicle :) ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
How about taking a small tent just for leaving gear in , even if you are hoteling?
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #15 on: 04 May, 2011, 10:26:49 pm »
I'm told that the campsite will have basic facilities and a capacity of 200 spaces. I was wondering if the the facilities from the Semaine Federale might be utilised, apparently not.

« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:22:00 am »
Hi,

Had looked at the Huttopia site in versialles but found that they want 300 euro

for 8 nights............didn't want to erect tent after finish!!!!!

Given up on camping and booked into cheap hotel........78 euro for 2 nights at start and same at finish.

this room allows 3 adults to share.

hotel roughly 7 miles from start

ETAP HOTEL Velizy       Hotel Reservation : Book hotels online with Accorhotels.com
cheers

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #17 on: 06 May, 2011, 01:18:31 am »
so I'm needing some 'left luggage' options. I'll see what google has to tell me about local railway stations...

I may be wrong but I think that France is still in "vigipirate rouge" and if I remember well that implies that you can't use the left luggage lockers in the stations.
Chief cat entertainer.

Andrew

« Reply #18 on: 06 May, 2011, 07:15:39 am »
so I'm needing some 'left luggage' options. I'll see what google has to tell me about local railway stations...

I may be wrong but I think that France is still in "vigipirate rouge" and if I remember well that implies that you can't use the left luggage lockers in the stations.

Cheers for that. My searches so far suggest this may well be the case, e.g. time limits on left luggage etc. I know there may well be others in a similar situation to my own so, if I find anything, I'm post it.

« Reply #19 on: 06 May, 2011, 08:06:31 am »
When I was at the Bercy Etap Hotel in January, they had left luggage lockers there. It might be worth checking those in St Quentin.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:46:50 am »
I guess blowing up a station would be quite nasty, but noone cares if an Etap goes up in flames.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 06 May, 2011, 06:26:37 pm »
Any one seen Spiral BBC4? I'm hoping the trappes etap isn't any way similar. 

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:16:48 pm »
It appears the St Quentin en Yvelines site is tents only. Other sites in the area seem to want a small fortune for camping.
I would like to take my campervan, not too fussed about being 10-20km from start, anybody got any ideas of a suitable site which won't break the bank?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #23 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:33:39 pm »
The campsite referenced during PBP registration is full. Pointers regarding alternate campsites welcome...

« Reply #24 on: 14 June, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »
The campsite referenced during PBP registration is full. Pointers regarding alternate campsites welcome...

I'll be taking a cheapo 2 man tent and leaving it at StQeY from Saturday afternoon until Thursday evening. I may use it for dozing in on Sunday morning/afternoon but I have F1 hotel rooms booked Saturday night and Thursday night.

Worst case I'll leave the tent with you for the Friday night and you can bring it back.

It'll be a cheap £15 Argos tent but should be fine. It claims to be waterproof. 2.1kg and size looks ok to strap to a bike if necessary (it'll be going in my luggage).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."