Author Topic: Tandem on PBP?  (Read 7145 times)

Tandem on PBP?
« on: 26 May, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »
We are a danish couple who have qualified for PBP on tandem.  We are from the brevets aware aboiut the differences in rhytm between tandems and single bicycles. We are aware about the problems on the hills and how fast we are  downhill. Are there any other things to consider when riding PBP on a tandem - except from staying together?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tandem on PBP?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »
Your 'highs' and 'lows' are unlikely to coincide. It is worthwhile coordinating toilet stops and clothing adjustments.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »
She insist actuallly on that!

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2011, 05:14:40 pm »
You do have a tactical advantage if you ride a 'special'. You start before the big wave of riders so for the first part of the ride you'll certainly evade the bulge and you can pass the controls a lot faster. Count on 2-3 hours advantage due to that.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
staying together
I should think that'd be enough. :demon:
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »
staying together
I should think that'd be enough. :demon:

I remember being at Villaine in 2007 with a rider suffering from Schermer's neck. Nearby there was a tandem partnership in a state of some discord. The injured rider thought we should approach them and offer a bike swap. The stoker would get a quick divorce and the neck sufferer a finish. I was too knackered to do the required matchmaking, but I wonder if it's ever been done?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2011, 10:36:17 pm »
Don't be daft ESL! (the solo rider might have started 3 hours later than the stoker).

(A strong memory of mine is also a tandem team at Villaines - but they were really suffering, with no sign of discord. Quite a touching scene, actually.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:30:36 am »
A strong memory of mine is also a tandem team at Villaines - but they were really suffering, with no sign of discord. Quite a touching scene, actually.

A strong memory of mine is waiting at the train station near the finish and talking to an American woman who got around on a tandem.  She was telling me some incredible story of replacing a bottom bracket (or was it just a pedal) that nearly de-reailed them at the end.  There was lots of 'lost in translation monents' with the moral of the story being that the French are wonderful.

I think that the advantage of a tandem on PBP is that the size of the field will mean that you can get some tandem chain gangs happening.  There are enough other couples who are all doing the same speed that you will experience peleton riding.  Something that rarely happens when you are the odd one out in a normal randonee.

I am sure that TG will relate his experiences of multi-cycling on PBP soon.  (triplet good, tandem bad). I guess it all depends.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:17:13 am »
A strong memory of mine is waiting at the train station near the finish and talking to an American woman who got around on a tandem.  She was telling me some incredible story of replacing a bottom bracket (or was it just a pedal) that nearly de-reailed them at the end.  There was lots of 'lost in translation monents' with the moral of the story being that the French are wonderful.

Just about my last lucid memory of 2007 was going to borrow a track pump from the spannermen at Mortagne and encountering an American couple who had had a crank fall off their tandem during the previous stage.  They were trying the trick involving the use of aluminium foil as a shim to make it stay on for the rest of the ride.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:58:02 pm »
Don't be daft ESL! (the solo rider might have started 3 hours later than the stoker).

(A strong memory of mine is also a tandem team at Villaines - but they were really suffering, with no sign of discord. Quite a touching scene, actually.)

Stoker and Captain have a card each, I wonder if there is any compulsion to finish together? You don't have to qualify together.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »
Have reliable equipment.  Two AUK tandems failed to finish PBP03 because of faulty rear hubs.  A third AUK tandem with the same type of hubs carried spare components round the route after their rear hub failed while qualifying.  Anecdotally, tandems seem to have a higher rate of mechanical failure than single bikes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2011, 03:25:37 pm »
Stoker and Captain have a card each, I wonder if there is any compulsion to finish together? You don't have to qualify together.

Yes, as far as _I_ know, you could ride/finish in any permutation of solos/tandems/triplets. (although the diffferent start times MIGHT be an issue.)

It was a marvellous idea - pat yourself on the back! But I see a can of worms here:

I wonder how a penalty like no-HiViz is applied to tandem riders? If your pilot got a penalty for going off-route, could you switch to solo to avoid the rap?

Could I borrow a recumbent for a day just to get the earlier start time?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2011, 03:40:28 pm »

Doesn't quite answer the question, but when Pam P packed in 1995 at Carhaix, Dave P set off solo on their tandem for the return trip to Brest, and when he got back to Carhaix Pam had arranged for him to borrow Roger Philo's bike. (Roger had conveniently packed at Carhaix).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #13 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:10:12 am »
Have reliable equipment.  Two AUK tandems failed to finish PBP03 because of faulty rear hubs.  A third AUK tandem with the same type of hubs carried spare components round the route after their rear hub failed while qualifying.  Anecdotally, tandems seem to have a higher rate of mechanical failure than single bikes.

Lot of stresses in such a long bike!
Chief cat entertainer.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »
All of the faults mentioned here relate to Hugi Tandem hubs made by DT swiss.

Tandems are fine if they are well maintained and it is easy enough to carry a few spares for vulnerable parts.

PBP on tandem is great fun - just look after each other & make sure the pilot can keep his eyes open - if not it's time for a sleep.

I hope to be there on my tandem this time complete with stabilisers on the 84 hour start as I need my beauty sleep.

Look after each other & above all just enjoy it!!!

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2011, 05:09:16 pm »
WE have just bought a new Comotion Speedster for the PBP and ordinary brevets.  It has the DT Hügi hub and we have got a spare thing to the hub. Is the hub a bad choice for randonneuring?

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:35:48 am »
The hub is fine and is very well designed.
Since mine failed on the PBP it has been serviced, the star ratchets replaced and has been used with no problems on the LEL and other long rides.
It was exceptionally hot in 2003 which could have contributed to the failure caused when the ratchets don't slide together properly.

If you have the spares you wil be fine
Just make sure the legs are up to it.....................

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:34:09 pm »
I have  done 2x PBP's  on tandems  and am planning  my  third tandem PBP  this  year, its  a  good  tandem ride, nice  and  rolling. We  ride the  first 150 Km in 03  as  a  six up, at  40+KPH but  we  were behind  the  Italian tandem - they  would  not  hold  any  sort  of steady  pace line (italian driving) so  we ended  up doing two turns  on the front. Expect to gain  a  shoal of wheel suckers behind  you if  you  have  any  kind  of speed - we  got  a  whole  gang of  french and  italians  out  to Brest  in '03, then joined up with  an American group on the  way  back who did  some  turns  on the front. Steve  still keeps  in touch with one  of  them.

In 07  on the  way  back people  were so tired  that the could  not  take  a  tow even when offered, we  rode  back with Stue Lee on his  trike - really good  company - sat  behind us  on the  flat  and  alongside  for  a  chat  on the climbs. riding  a  tandem makes  fiends and  often good ones.

And I was the  one carrying the spare clutches in 03  and  07- that  was because  they  failed  for  us  on one  of  our '03 qualifiers, we cable  tied  the  big sprocket to the  spokes and  rode  100 miles  on a  fixed tandem (with gears). They  have now been re-designed  with  deeper sprags  and  nickel plating. Take  any  special  parts  if you  can - the  spare sprags could have  been  fitted  in minutes. I would  recommend  a  spare folding tyre and  brake parts - all the  workshops tend  to  be  lightweight  road bike biased.

If  anyone  want's  some  DT tandem hub spares  PM me  as  the hub flange  tore along  the  perforations last year - after  only  18,000 miles

The  biggest  problem is  the  riders  rear  ends, less  room for in saddle  adjustments lead  to more wear  and  tear. The  rest is  of  course  twice the  fun!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
That's what they always say.

My limited tandem experience and much observation leads me to believe they're twice the aggro.
Could be both, I suppose. 
Certainly on PBP you must have the added problem of synchronising two body clocks.  Even just committing to riding with a buddy (two solos) is making it harder than it needs to be.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
A tandem is similar to a bike - its fine until it breaks down!!!

« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »
I've had a Hügi Hub fail this spring, on a solo bike. I've discussed it with the mechanic at my usual LBS. Problem is when you don't service it often enough the ratchets get clogged with oil, grease and dirt. The harsher the klicking sound, the greater the clogging. So he recommended a regular cleaning and regreasing of the ratchet. After he cleaned & regreased it it worked perfectly. Apparantly you can even disassamble it without tools.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2011, 04:03:04 pm »
We'll be there on our Tandem, having finally sorted out qualification.  :thumbsup:

Question: Is it normal for tandem teams to receive 2 different frame numbers, one per rider application?
Last time I checked our tandem only has one frame.  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »
The number references the rider.  Most tandems have two riders, though I know of a couple of PBP tandems that were sans stoker for a chunk of the ride.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »
Yes, you get one number for each rider.
Just make sure you fix them onto the frame/rack in such a way as to
keep access to bottles etc clear.
Tie the corners down too so that they don't flap & dig in your leg!

See you on the start line for a tear up at 17:30?:

6481 & 6482.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #24 on: 05 July, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »
Cheers. So it's really a bib not frame number then </pedant>

See you on the start line for a tear up at 17:30?:

6481 & 6482.

You're on!

Things are 6479 & 6480   :)