Author Topic: Sabbath September - Which Spec?  (Read 14032 times)

Re: Sabbath September - Which Spec?
« Reply #25 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:06:00 pm »
It doesn't wear out quickly

The chainrings on my Tiagra triple chainset wore out much sooner than I thought represented good value for money. YMMV (literally).

d.

Yep, got over 11000km out of the middle ring, and nearly 19000km out of the big ring. Admittedly, I've got 19000km out of my Mavic A319s, and over 12000km out of my ~300g Marathon Racer on the front (less than 8000km on the back), so maybe I'm just not hard on kit. My LBS says it's because I need to get faster.

« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:31:32 am »
Yup. Do chat to Greg who runs Sabbath.
+1. He's happy to engage directly with customers, & in my experience, very helpful.

Campagnolo (ignore Clarion - I love mine) triple gives you a wider range & lower bottom gear than a compact double, & I'd find it plenty for an audax or day ride bike, but IIRC both SRAM & Shimano give you the option of lower bottom gears. AFAIK the lowest you can get with Campag is 34-29 on a double, & 30-29 on a triple.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:37:42 am »
AFAIK the lowest you can get with Campag is 34-29 on a double, & 30-29 on a triple.

The inner ring of the triple can be changed for a 24 (though 26 is more practical).  That goes for most Shimanos as well as Campag.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »
That's interesting. I presume it'd have to be a non-Campagnolo ring. Do you know off the top of your head what the BCD is?

[Edit]Ah, Byercycles say 74mm on their website. It's 5 bolt. Stronglight, then.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
74 mm, same as most road triples.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »
If changing to a small granny, you might want to also change the middle ring if it's currently 42T or larger.  39T is the smallest that will fit there.  TA middle-specific recommended.  135mm.

(This is for Campag).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #31 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:12:20 pm »
Ta & ta. I'll bear that in mind for the future. I'm thinking of n+1. ;)

Woofage changed the Campag triple crankset on the Roberts I sold him to a Stronglight Impact to get lower gears. It looks as if he needn't have bothered. Though I suppose it depends on how low he wanted to go, & the jumps between chainrings.

« Reply #32 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:14:17 pm »
MWAHAHAHAHAHA! :smug:

Finally placed the order. ;D

Gonna have to wait. :-[

With CycleSwag.

« Reply #33 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »
Don't leave us hanging.

What's the spec ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #34 on: 21 June, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »
Rival Spec compact (52 32)
Brushed ti
Laser graphics
hand built open pro wheels and quality spokes (IMO)
miche wheel hubs
selle itaiia xo seat
sks mud guards
gatorskins

And other stuff

I just want to Say a Big Thanks to 'Hatler'. In my 2 years of dithering I don't think I ever came across cycle swag. Big thanks to everyone for your help.

Just buy at Cycle swag. I did try to go the 'build my own' spec

Frame
ultegra wheels
rival chainset

but inexperience with road bikes; time constraints; VFM and a bunch of other factors made the Cycle Swag Very tempting. Fat birds(rival spec guise) came close - but I never contacted them because they didn't have a hand built wheels option.

I now have a few weeks to decide what speedometer and egg beaters to buy. I might try Fatbirds for future purchases their website; customer review; VFM etc seem top notch. Don't ask me what I paid for it. :smug: ;D

From  one Smug Git.

« Reply #35 on: 22 June, 2011, 12:05:10 am »
My guess is you'll be a very happy chappy fairly soon.

Great news.
Rust never sleeps

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #36 on: 22 June, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »
So not another reunion of the original members then?

« Reply #37 on: 22 June, 2011, 03:02:20 pm »
Can't wait to see the pics!

My September has as yet never met another in brushed finish with laser etched graphics :)

« Reply #38 on: 22 June, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »
Mmm is it me or are Cycleswag prices a touch expensive?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: 22 June, 2011, 09:57:10 pm »
I spent a fruitful morning at the Sabbath premises looking at a September. I think I'll be ordering one in the next day out two if I can get a good price from local bike shop.

« Reply #40 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
Dpn't know which your local shop is, but if you're a CTC member have you asked if they give members a discount ?  Spa Cycles in Harrogate do 10% I think.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #41 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:12:37 pm »
I'm in Chester. The list price is £2800 I've haggled down to £2400 but fatbirds are selling a very similar spec for just under £2100 but with cheaper wheels.

I am a CTC member. I'd like to purchase local if possible.

« Reply #42 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »
If you buy the frame from Fatbirds, it's pretty easy to build up the bike of your dreams from the remainder of the budget  :D

« Reply #43 on: 23 June, 2011, 10:46:22 am »
Cycle Swag are Sabbath bikes! There address is identical :)

« Reply #44 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:10:08 pm »
I've just ordered a September as well with brushed finish and laser etched graphics!

« Reply #45 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »
Do you happen to know how much extra it is for the laser etching ?  I bought mine before this was an option.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #46 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »
....... brushed finish and laser etched graphics!

So common.  :P ;)

« Reply #47 on: 23 June, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »
Do you happen to know how much extra it is for the laser etching ?  I bought mine before this was an option.

I think I paid an extra £80 for it. Not sure how much they would charge for having it added on after though! However, it is very very nice. Mine is the one on their home page.  :smug:

« Reply #48 on: 23 June, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »
Why thank you. That is quite steep. Especially as I would have to have my sig line included as well. One for when I win the lottery (which I don't do).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #49 on: 23 June, 2011, 09:52:27 pm »
Lazer etched is free on a new bike - just one of various options.