Author Topic: Sunday morning hills - July 6th  (Read 23881 times)

Re: Sunday morning hills - July 6th
« Reply #75 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:45:55 pm »
Can I press you for a definition of deluge?  :P

No. not really - check out the metcheck  draw your own conculsions from there .....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:57:58 pm »
I'd better be at the back if you want dry weather.

Après moi, le deluge...

I'll get my Goretex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #77 on: 05 July, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »
I've put it into GPS as well but I seem to remember that it wasn't 100%. I'd appreciate a hard copy, if I can't find a scanned version.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #78 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:50:04 am »
Well, I'm up and talking to myself. Had breakfast, taken tablets, drinking tea, pumped tyres, didn't lubricate chain 'cos it looked OK, have waterproof & extra layer in case of snow, found railcard. And I still don't need to go out for at least half an hour.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #79 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:22:46 am »

Luddites will be provided with hard-to-read-at-the-best-of-times-never-mind-during-a-hilly-50 OS maps.

Which doubtless I'll lose like last time somewhere around the half way point  >:(.  Will be fewer riders this time to do my Zen navigation  :D

« Reply #80 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:16:42 am »
Not looking too bad out there - fingers crossed.  :)

Well, I'm up and talking to myself. Had breakfast, taken tablets, drinking tea, pumped tyres, didn't lubricate chain 'cos it looked OK, have waterproof & extra layer in case of snow, found railcard. And I still don't need to go out for at least half an hour.

Dedication beyond the call of duty, Wow! See you in a bit.

annie

« Reply #81 on: 06 July, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »
Dave, sorry to hear about your visitation >:(  Wow did phone to see if I had your number but sadly not, hope you managed to return to the start.

Tis mightily windy here and myself Nutkin and Andrij are about to head out on the bikes, again.

« Reply #82 on: 06 July, 2008, 12:59:33 pm »
Update from the route!! I'm sheltering in a phone box in Ewhurst from the cold and rain while wow fixes our third faerie visitation of the route. Other soggy riders are standing in the bus shelter... I did invite them to join me, but...!

« Reply #83 on: 06 July, 2008, 01:01:38 pm »
And we have found dave! He did the ride in the opposite direction having gone back for decent inner tubes.

Wow is now present and pumped up, so I guess I have to leave the warmth of my phone box. :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #84 on: 06 July, 2008, 04:57:22 pm »
Update from the route!! I'm sheltering in a phone box in Ewhurst from the cold and rain while wow fixes our third faerie visitation of the route. Other soggy riders are standing in the bus shelter... I did invite them to join me, but...!

What she failed to mention is that she'd steamed up said phonebox and we weren't sure whether she was posting or putting up cards :demon:

Despite the weather a superb day out and great to put faces to names pseudonyms!

P.S. The first of 'Team Road was home and dry :D by 1630 - how long did team wimp train take?

« Reply #85 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:31:08 pm »
I dare say I am the first of the train folk to make it back - and it started to rain again when we arrived at Victoria, just in time for the spin home  ::-)

Yes, Dave's puncture was made more complicated than necessary as the phone I have all my contacts in failed completely, while the other phone had barely any battery life left - and Dave's phone went straight to answerphone when called.

Great stuff by Dave, who went back to Dorking, got the bike sorted out, and then decided the best thing would be to ride the route in reverse in order to meet up with us, which he did! Mind you if he had known that both Wowbagger and myself would also fall victim to the p* fairy, he could have caught us up.

All the maps proved unnecessary, thankfully, and GPS was the order of the day.

Some excellent climbs: Adamski gets the polka dot jersey despite riding what seemed to be all the way on a 52T front chain ring. No-one walked any of the climbs and we all went round, as predicted, more or less together except for Dave's solo break.  :P

Another really good day's yACF-originated cycling for me  :), I really needed it.

Thanks to Wowbagger, Peliroja, Jurek, Adamski, PaulF and Dave for making it a great ride in rather trying conditions. I hope we do this again soon.

Thanks are also due to whoever devised the route and made it available via the Cheam and Morden site and Bikely: 50 km through the most gorgeous countryside. Couldn't be better.

« Reply #86 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:59:09 pm »
My steamed-up phone box was excellent, I will have you know! Although from the BT notice inside it looks like it won't be there for much longer, due to 'insufficient use'.  :( Perhaps the persons of the night have not spotted the opportunities it poses for those inhabiting the environs of PBitch Hill...  :o

Thank you, Sgt Pluck, and everyone else, for an excellent ride.  :thumbsup: Despite my nagging sore throat, I managed to ride up all the hills without too much trouble, plus ride back - thanks Paul and Adam for the route and thanks Mother Nature for the tailwind!

I made it through the door at 16:50 exactly, having had a yummy vegetable pasty and cup of tea at the top of le Col de Box.  :D I've just got out of the bath, have a pot of ice cream next to me, and plan to devour that before tackling the large ant hill I've just spotted in the corner of our bathroom, which is currently a building site.  :-X :-X :-X I wondered where the little blighters were coming from.  >:(

Oh, and I should remind everyone that - despite being quite   s  l  o  w   up the hills - I did in fact climb the hill out of Dorking twice, having gone back to look for Our DaveO:-)

;)

« Reply #87 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:07:12 pm »
So you did!

I'm buzzing after that  :), thoroughly good fun.

I was surprised that Box Hill was not all that steep; I'd always had the impression it was a tough climb.

« Reply #88 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:11:20 pm »
It is tough when you have clubs racing up it.  I think it only has that reputation as it has a hairpin! Oh no! It has a hairpin! It must be vicious!

::-)

I'm glad I rode back now. It was nice and sunny and I started to dry out nicely. I do have a rotten sore throat, though.  :(

« Reply #89 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »
I'm home as of about 17:50.
Thanks to all for your esteemed company.
Special mention to Sgt Pluck for the idea and the blatant route plunder   :P homage to the Cheam and Morden Ride.
At times, due to the rain,  I couldn't see, steer or stop - but other than that it was a fantastic ride - I can only imagine that in sunshine it would be even more outstanding as the surroundings are beautiful.

Definitely a ride to be repeated.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #90 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:38:26 pm »

Definitely a ride to be repeated.
I'm planning to do a Surrey Hills ride in early September (promised to take NSTN Laura to a few hills to show her just how slow you can go up them)  Would like to do it sooner but no weekends jointly free before then and my Irish end to end.  My route is different to the C+M one although it includes most of the climbs.  White Down is the hardest, I think.
You are welcome if you can stand the pace. 
     Jane

« Reply #91 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
Thank you.
There were a few occasions today when the group had to wait for me.
And it wasn't always following an ascent . . . . . . ;)

Edit - at one point, on White Down I was heard to uttter a panted "I'm stopping!", followed almost immediately by "Or am I?"  :D

Dave

« Reply #92 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:37:41 pm »
Well. That was eventful.

The rain started, like clockwork, just as we got on the bikes at Rykas and ended, somehow predicatably, just as we sat down for some post-ride carbo-loading at Rykas. I'm glad that Team Bike managed to get home without a further soaking.

Mistake 1: "No, no, you go on ahead, I'll be fine - catch you up in a bit."
Mistake 2: "Hmm. Just stick a smidge more air in I thiBANG". Arse.

Leave voicemail for Pluck then slow walk back to Dorking (thankfully not far), where, I remember that I'm only a few hundred metres from the LBS who sold me my MTB. 15 minutes later I'm back on the road :thumbsup:

So. There's no way I'm going to catch them now. But! Woohoo! I've got a track for the whole route on the, behaving itself for once, GPS - I'll ride round the other way and meet them on their way back :D

I knew I'd end up meeting them either at the bottom of a hill I'd have to climb back up or outside a pub. Instead, astonishingly, I met them outside a pub at the bottom of a hill I had to climb back up.

Anyway. I'd like to thank Head for the Hills LBS, caffeinated Torq gels (man alive, those things are good), Pluck for coming up with such an innovative, never-been-done-before route ;), Paul, Adam, Jurek, Wow and Peli (I'm touched that you rode back to find me, you didn't have to - I owe you one.) for the company. And the fantastically good looking young woman I was fortunate enough to ride behind up one of the hills on my way back to the yACF crew. How good looking? I didn't even notice what bike she was riding - thatgood looking.

As a very recent joiner of (y)ACF and yACF rides, but long-term grumpy antisocial git, it's amazed me how tolerant, welcoming and downright friendly you all are.

'Team Car' got back at 6, mainly due to the appalling weather on the M25. Bike has now been hosed off in the bath and I'm about to follow.

Definitely a ride to be repeated. But in the dry next time, please?

« Reply #93 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
Mistake 2: "Hmm. Just stick a smidge more air in I thiBANG". Arse.

;D ;D ;D

Pluck for coming up with such an innovative, never-been-done-before route ;)

Think of it as a classic.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:07:52 pm »
Well, that was a day and no mistake!

The first people I encountered whilst cycling down what I thought would be a deserted Southend High Street was a young man in conversation with some tough looking individuals in fluorescent jackets, who were in evidence at 1 a.m. Saturday when I went to meet my daughter from whichever gin palace she frequents when not in Cambridge. Whatever the status of these characters, the young man was very soon in a fisticuffs situation and it was not long before he was prone. More fluorescent-jacketed toughies came rumbling up the high street, pistons pumping, bells ringing and whistles blowing, reminding me of nothing more than the American detective "Cannon", who, although 23 stone and 45 years of age, in every programme would set off in hot pursuit of a lithe young ne'er-do-well who had at least a 100 yard start and he would catch him every time!

The morning bore more evidence of the night before when I reached the station platform. There was a young lady with a long black dress and long black rivulets of mascara down each cheek (well, two of them anyway) busily texting, when suddenly, about two minutes before the trains was due, she exploded "Ow fack i', I'm goin' ter fackin' wowk 'owme!" and off she set. 'enry 'iggins heat yer 'eart aht!

There had been some evidence of showers on the way to Fenchurch Street, but when I cycled across London the weather was OK. For the first time in my life I found Southwark Bridge, which was not as deserted as I was expecting, and was also not so convenient for the Thames Path and Upper Ground, but soon I was in Waterloo Station and wrestling with the ticket machine. It won, and armed with the single I had inadvertently purchased, I then had to queue for about 20 minutes in order to pay the extra 10p necessary in order to convert it into a return.

I arrived in Dorking before the others, who were on a train from Victoria and had been delayed, and then a text message form Sergeant Pluck showed that they had outwitted me and had got off the train at Box Hill & Westhumble, so in a short while I was there to witness the last knockings of their breakfast, which didn't matter because I had had coffee & flapjack while waiting in Dorking.

Soon we were away and the hills were just as vicious as I had remembered them. The difference was the weather: in February it was calm, sunny and as nice a day as one could wish for but today there was a different demon in charge. Before we reached Ranmore Common for the first time, the heavens opened, the waterproofs were on and they stayed on for the entire ride. Dave had a visitation, was insistent that he would catch us up and, as others have reported, communications breakdowns meant that we hung around for a fair while, in the style of the Blue Moon ride, while Sgt. Pluck's mobile phoned was not inconsiderably banjaxed.

The next visitation was to Sgt. Pluck himself, a result of riding the rocky roadsteads of several parishes, and off we went again. Then it was my turn, and the air seemed to be escaping from several places at once. I found a piece of flint and changed the tube, and once again we resumed, the rain as relentless as ever.

When we reached the A25 for the last time, White Down lay ahead, and this was new ground for me. On my previous attempt at this ride, I was cursed with a disintegrating rear wheel and took the A road to Dorking. This time, there was no excuse and the toughest climb of the ride lay ahead, the hills trying to lose themselves in a sky so leaden that it was a wonder it could stay aloft. In fact it couldn't, and a great precipitation engulfed us.

That is a serious climb. Landranger maps give it two separate chevrons, which indicate a prolonged hill steeper than 1 in 7. The road sign states "18%" which is scarcely less steep than 1 in 5. It goes on and on, and frankly makes Ditchling Beacon look benign. To make matters worse from my point of view, I had a "double" at the front, ergo no granny ring.

There was no point in honking. I had done so on a few occasions earlier, somewhere near Friday Street, and at one point my rear wheel started to spin, so I sat down again. I did actually have to walk about the last 10 yards or so of that particular hill as I simply lost my balance and could not start again. However, this White Down git had to be put in its place and I have to say that by the time I reached the summit I had broken into a fair old sweat which was maturing nicely inside a Gore-tex and two other layers. I was also puffing away like Thomas the Tank Engine and bike and jacket were almost the same colour.

That, to be fair, was the end of the ride's challenges, and we only had Box Hill to do. That is long, but nowhere is it steep, and we just simply twiddled away until we got to the top. I took a few photographs and then the Fellowship of Dorking was divided as some hardy souls decided to ride back to London whilst others of us consumed greasy calories at the Rykas Café before finding our respective trains.

I became very aware of a certain atmosphere about my person as we pulled out of Fenchurch Street: very sweaty lycra which had been confined within a waterproof all day and was now beginning to dry reminded me of raw steak. I wondered how the dog would react when I arrived home and he was indeed very interested in the smell. However, Wife & Daughter both had very different opinions on the attractiveness or otherwise of the aura that followed me into the house and I was despatched to the shower before I could even utter the words London Pride.

It was an excellent day's riding, and thanks to Sgt. Pluck for having the idea of riding it again, the excellent company of the other riders, and of course to Simon L3 and the Cheam and Morden, who hold the copyright.

« Reply #95 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:32:03 pm »
Good RR, Wowbagger.

What moving time did you all get on your various devices? My instruments would have me believe that we only rolled on our steeds for not much more than 3 hours.

« Reply #96 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:42:45 pm »
Word.
Wow. :thumbsup:
I'm showing 4hrs and 49 minutes, but that'll include the 17.4  :o (According to the AA - I too am surprised by that) miles round trip, between mine and Peli's (Victoria) railway station.

« Reply #97 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:46:49 pm »
Well I guess that sort of adds up - I get a riding time of 3:33 including my very short rides to and from Victoria.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #98 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:51:27 pm »
My total riding time was 5h 0m 20s for a recorded 46.2 miles. At least 10 of those  were from  travelling between home / stations / more stations but there was about a mile after I fixed my p*nct*re when my computer stopped recording. Moving speed 9.2 mph.

The GPS recorded 40.2 miles in 4h 5m, 9.8 mph. I didn't bother to put it back on the bike after we left Rykas for the last time, so that would excluded my last 7 miles or so. Total ascent 2124 ft (seems a bit low to me), max elevation 784 ft.

I'm dead chuffed to be averaging almost 10 mph over that sort of terrain.

« Reply #99 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
M

I'm dead chuffed to be averaging almost 10 mph over that sort of terrain.

As indeed, you should be.
'Hope the non-spd ankle improves soon.