Author Topic: PBP - FREE FEED!!!  (Read 3230 times)

PBP - FREE FEED!!!
« on: 29 July, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »
It's a little known fact, that after the last few riders of PBP have finished, there is about an hour or so of handing out prizes, mostly to those that run PBP.
But after that, there is a buffet which is rather good and best of all, free! Last time, I think I remember beer and wine knocking around, plus Cola and lots of orange juice, some of which mysteriously ended up in my panniers.

I look forwards to my post PBP nosh up with my fellow skinflints. :thumbsup:

PS, it's worth bringing a bag for leftovers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: PBP - FREE FEED!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2011, 05:35:53 pm »
Fantastic!  Is it too late to sign up for PBP?   ;D

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2011, 05:45:37 pm »
I'll be long gone by 'free food' time... if all goes to plan anyway.

I'm not going to be hanging around for any length of time once I roll across the finish line... long enough to pack the tent, maybe have a beer and a slice of pizza (or somesuch) and away.

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2011, 06:06:07 pm »
Fantastic!  Is it too late to sign up for PBP?   ;D

I'm sure that nobody would notice if you just turned up, having not even ridden PBP. ;)

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2011, 11:58:26 am »
Now theres an incentive to finish in time
O'LEL what have I done!

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:21:23 am »
Superb.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

AndyH

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
I look forwards to my post PBP nosh up with my fellow skinflints. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Will there be anything left if you are going ?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:31:03 pm »
It's a little known fact, that after the last few riders of PBP have finished, there is about an hour or so of handing out prizes, mostly to those that run PBP.

I only knew about this in '07 because of TG.  If I didn't say so then - thanks for the tip.

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2011, 02:58:14 pm »
Was it any good? From what I saw it was only enough for about 5 hungry randonneurs.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »
It was superb!  Piles of wonderful food.  In particular gorgeous pate (which I don't normally eat) and slices of roast beef, washed down with plenty of red wine.   It was worth listening to an hour or so of speeches in French to partake.   

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
Was it only an hour? Felt like at least a day.

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »
I must have eaten at least a kilo of that chicken. Mmmmm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
Was it any good? From what I saw it was only enough for about 5 hungry randonneurs.

There was plenty! Not as much as previous years though. No beer or coffee and not so much selection.
After a giant slab of Camembert, a platefull of chicken and beef, several pieces of desert and about half a bottle of red wine, I was happily fed. It's a shame my appetite wasn't up to much... :(
It was jolly good though. :D

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2011, 06:45:28 pm »
You sure that the roast beef was actually *beef* not of an equine nature?

Frere

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2011, 10:43:25 pm »
I do believe I was present back in 2003 when Teethgrinder discovered the joys of this free food along with that strange man with the onions and moustache (though he didn't have either the onions or the moustache back then), the man who rode between the two of them to Brest and back that year, Dr. Box, Mrs. Box and others.

I believe the sequence of events went something like...

- All finish PBP and have a jolly good time watching other finishers and hang around outside the sports hall.

- Wait for the young naive one to fall asleep on the grass.

- Sneak away for aforementioned meal without informing the young naive one.

- Young 'un wakes up and wonders where everyone has gone, only to find out that they have been gorging themselves on the free feast.

Thanks a lot. 8 years on, and this treachery is neither forgiven nor forgotten  ;)