Author Topic: PBP - Audax England photo/mass departure  (Read 5804 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
PBP - Audax England photo/mass departure
« on: 10 August, 2011, 01:33:48 am »
I've mooted here already the idea of getting as many Audax England jerseys together at or before the start for a photo.  In discussion with other riders, there also seems to be some interest in trying to get a decent bunch to start together as well (accepting that after the first few kilometres everyone will settle into their own pace and the group will not stay together).

So - one idea is to meet for the meal beforehand (but I know not everyone is joining that).  Another is to aim for a start time other than 6pm (thereby avoiding standing in an epic queue) and meeting up at the entrance to the arena.

My preference,FWIW is to try and get away by about 8pm rather than start at the back because I know that's where I'll be spending the next 90 hours, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Either respond here or by PM.

R
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: PBP - Audax England photo/mass departure
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:56:14 am »
I'll bring my Audax England jersey along to the Sunday meal, though I might have to do a quick change into a Willesden jersey at some point! I'm a 9pm starter so I'll be starting at the back and working my way down the field.

AndyH

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2011, 08:28:42 am »
Some of us will be off at 4pm. Before or after the meal sounds like a good time.

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2011, 10:30:11 am »
I will try to be part of this but at the moment I am down for an 1800 start.
If I have understood the other threads correctly there is no problem delaying this and starting later but i am still undecided.
My wife is not planning to wait around to see me leave so I am staring to wonder if i should have booked the meal, are there alternatives in easy reach?

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
I'm down for a 6pm start but I'll be wearing my Audax England top all afternoon and for the start so I'm deffo interested in a group photo around meal time.  Chillmoister and Keeks should be with me as well.

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »
I'm starting at, er... I think... 5.30pm with the "special" bikes. I think an earlier meet up for a photo would be a good idea not least because it'll give people something to do on Sunday. Sunday drags on and on and there's no organised prolog ride anymore.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:34:48 pm »
I'll bring mine along for the start - I'm doing the 6pm jobbie so tell me where to be before then and I'm all yours.

I'll have my twitter feed @liamfitz on as well

Perhaps we should adopt the new national dress of hoodies and Blackberry's?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »
6.00 pm start guys - doesnt mean you start at 6.00pm - you join xxxx other riders herded into starting groups and then start at 30 (?) minute intervals in groups of 500 ish. So get to the stadium at 4.00 pm and you might be in the first group - so away at 6.00pm -  but at ( i guess ) 4.30 you might be in the 3rd group so starting at 7.30 .

I very much like Redlights idea of turning up later - say after 6.00 - , maybe 6.30 - and finding that you are in the 8.00 start - far less standing around in a packed group of 500 with bikes -  and getting completely arsed with your neighbours who are all pushing to the front - not seeming to understand that 5 minutes in 90 hours may well not be significant - and if the chips work properly - then it makes F all difference when you cross the mat -

And if it is raining as 2007 - then the 4.30 guys could be standing in rain for 3 hours - where as turn up at 6.30 - and at worst you have 2.00 hours and maybe less of standing around
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:51:38 am »
Some of us will be off at 4pm. Before or after the meal sounds like a good time.

To get everyone involved it clearly has to be before 4pm. It's a shame the meal isn't walking distance from the start (well, not for Look cleat racing types, anyway).

So IMHO the easiest to coordinate would be at the dining barn hall, just before the 80H lot leave. Anyone eating late can pop out for the photo opp.

Redlight should decide, as he is our selfchosen leader in all matters Audax England  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »
How about a flashmob photo call outside the food hall at 4pm and then those who want to try to set off together sort themselves out then? 

(Am trying to avoid being the leader - look what it did for Gary Glitter)

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »
Sounds ok to me Mr Glitter, sir.

« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »
I want to be in your gang

If you tweet when you're ready I'll rock up - I'm @liamfitz

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »
Oi you,
What about team WCC?
Green is better than Red...............

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:53:14 pm »
If enough of us get together shall we go and smash up a Town centre and grab some bike gear? 

"PECKHAM - Twinned with Versaille"

I blame social media.

« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »
I blame anti-social media

Redlight

« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2011, 06:59:33 am »
I haven't managed to work out an exact location for this other than "in front of the dining hall" but if anyone is keen to be in the shot, please PM me a mobile number and I will send a text message on Sunday when I've had a chance to do a recce.

Rob

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2011, 01:17:32 pm »
rob,
Confirming a time would be helfpul! that way most people will find you that make the effort, and you might have a few less texts to send  :thumbsup:

Matt (you can slap me after the photo)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #17 on: 17 August, 2011, 02:17:28 pm »
I think I suggested 4pm somewhere down the thread, on the basis that the majority were in the 6pm to 9pm start group so if they were going for the meal would be doing it around then.

Other option is that we all agree to get to the bridge at brest at aroundthe same time......

« Reply #18 on: 17 August, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »
If you all manage to decide on a place and a time, let me know and I'll try and be there with my camera. I'll be in the Gymnase/area from about 3 to 6 pm. It could make a good shot for Arrivée.

Tim

« Reply #19 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »
If enough of us get together shall we go and smash up a Town centre and grab some bike gear? 

"PECKHAM - Twinned with Versaille"

I blame social media.

In 1961 PBP started in Suresnes, which is twinned with Hackney. I've been, and there's not much to loot. Although it does have the last surviving vineyard of any size in the Paris area. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-winelovers-dream-ndash-in-the-suburbs-of-paris-1853939.html

Redlight

« Reply #20 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:24:33 am »
Audax England jersey photo at 4pm at the entrance to Restaurant Les Quadrants (where the official meal is served).  Hope to see some of you there.

Appreciate it doesn't work for the 80 hour riders but most others didn't want to hang around too long before joining the line

Tried to tweet this to pbpyacf but failed miserably, possibly due to lack of hashtag symbol on my keyboard :-(

« Reply #21 on: 21 August, 2011, 07:31:32 am »
Retweeted with #pbpyacf hashtag.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

« Reply #22 on: 21 August, 2011, 08:47:59 am »
Thank Alex.  SimonP has just given me beginners' lesson in hashtagging so maybe I'll get it right along the route

« Reply #23 on: 22 August, 2011, 08:38:14 pm »
I had the honour of being present at this very prompt photo shoot, and have the evidence on my camera for all to share.  The only slight hiccup is that, until Jo returns home, I have no idea how to do the sharing bit.  If anyone is able to step into the breach, perhaps you could PM me with your email address and I'll send the photo over.

Thanks

Jacqui (aka Mrs Jo)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 22 August, 2011, 10:15:34 pm »
Do you have a flickr or picasa account?
You need to load your picture onto a website (photosharing or your own) and then stick the image location URL between [img] tags in a posting.