Author Topic: Informative pdf re PBP  (Read 2760 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Informative pdf re PBP
« on: 12 August, 2011, 12:04:49 am »
Some interesting info, some of which  was new to me, in this American pdf slide presentation for this years PBP

http://www.azbrevet.com/assets/downloads/PBP%202011%20Preparation%20Presentation.pdf
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Re: Informative pdf re PBP
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:09:01 am »
He seems to think you can park bikes on the artificial grass football pitch and that helmets are mandatory.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:42:59 am »
Not bad, I liked it. Also, the author seems to be convinced that there are lots of bag drops. Maybe for RUSA riders it is de rigeur to use  Des Peres Travel service?
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
On the one hand it says you can't get food except at controls, then shortly after says that there are lots of places to do so.

I'm hoping for the latter, since I mainly want to eat away from the controls, if possible.

With bag drops and vehicle support and all that, it does seem to be quite complicated for people.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2011, 10:17:15 am »
It is quite a good article in a general sort of way.  The advice on food and what is available on the route seems confused.

Some of the advice seems redundant, if you've done a UK SR series then you know what clothes to take with you

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »
The intended audience may have done an SR in Alaska or Arizona, and have no idea what clothing to take   :)

Maybe it was meaning to say you can only get free food at the controls?

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
There is no free food at the controls. The only thing in that respect I can remember from 2007 is the free drink at Brest.

Sometimes the food and drink people on the side of the road offer is free, but you'd better check first and in some places consider a donation.

The american view: They consider the PBP a very nice route with something new and interesting to see at every corner and think that the roads are of outstanding quality.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
The intended audience may have done an SR in Alaska or Arizona, and have no idea what clothing to take   :)

Maybe it was meaning to say you can only get free food at the controls?

I'm sure you know this but it's cheap, basic food at controls.  Many small villages have the Tabac / Cafe / Bar open at stupid o'clock and during normal hours the route passes many shops in towns.  Random strangers in Bretagne open their homes/barns and give you coffee.  Kids have water / refreshment stops at the roadside.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »
Yes I was confused for myself a minute and getting mixed up about the other (non-official) food stations vs. official controls vs. availability of 24 hour shops. Ignore me.

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:49:26 pm »
Gotta love the truth of the observation...

Rule # 3  -employees working at a large store are not there to serve you, but
generally to have a job and stay busy •

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
On the one hand it says you can't get food except at controls, then shortly after says that there are lots of places to do so.

I'm hoping for the latter, since I mainly want to eat away from the controls, if possible.

With bag drops and vehicle support and all that, it does seem to be quite complicated for people.

The food at the controls was OK last time and you have to stop there anyway. If there's no real queue at the control then I'll be eating there. Last time I think it was only Fougere on the way out that had a mega food queue so we skipped it. Then didn't find a cafe. And ended up eating in a bakery where the women behind the counter let us stand inside while the rain lashed down outside. ::-)
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances