Author Topic: PBP - How much food should I carry?  (Read 6441 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
PBP - How much food should I carry?
« on: 17 August, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »
I am just sorting out my stuff for the ride and have packed

4 x malt loafs
4 x energy drinks
4 x energy gels

Is this too much?

Should I just rely on what I can pick up on the way?

I am a little concerned about the long stages and that I might need to eat between controls.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

border-rider

Re: PBP - How much food should I carry?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:22:15 pm »
The gels & drinks won't last 1200 k.   To be honest there's plenty of opportunity to buy stuff, at controls & in towns

I usually start off with a few chewy bars & just replenish as needed.  I'm taking NuuN tablets because I prefer them and they don't take up much space.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:55:22 pm »
I'm stocking up on wine gums, no help for the ride but I do like them  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
In 2007 I was buying overstim powder at controls. This time I'm taking my own powder, 1600g in total or 7000 calories. I will also have a supply of gels. Then I will top up with solid food as required.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »
One BFO batch of home made flapjacks - 32 little pieces, or about 20 hours of energy. Also taking a jar of peanut butter, a tube of veggie pate and a knife. Bakery stops all the way.

Edit - half of this is because I'm being a tight arse and the other half because I'm veggie.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »
absolutely rely on what you can pick up along the way and for me, my recollection of 2007 was that the local shops etc have nicer produce and are cheaper than in the UK

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
I am thinking that I will just use what I carry as top up. I will get extra on the way. Maybe I just need to fill up my pockets for the first 140km?
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
In 2007 I was buying overstim powder at controls. This time I'm taking my own powder, 1600g in total or 7000 calories. I will also have a supply of gels. Then I will top up with solid food as required.

you're going to lug 1.6kg of powder round with you !?!

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »
Gosh you youngsters! Should be a baguette down your shorts and lots of will power or fromage frais.....gels tut tut (they really are foul)  haricots blancs à la sauce tomate 
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
imo, carrying substantial amount of food/gels/powders negates the advantage it would give. you'll need to carry it up every hill - is it worth it? i hope (and anciens say) there will be a lot of food options along the way, so if i stop for some, i'll get some extra to carry and eat while riding. i'll take 20 small flapjacks and few energy gels for emergency use, also a tube of high5 zero tablets. tbh, food management is still a bit of a mistery for me on long rides. i know i can rely on muffins, cake, flapjacks and tea in uk to get me through a day or two of riding. can i expect similar "energy" food in france?

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2011, 10:04:54 pm »
Gosh you youngsters! Should be a baguette down your shorts and lots of will power or fromage frais.....gels tut tut (they really are foul)  haricots blancs à la sauce tomate 

Surely it should be a raw steak in your shorts. Should be nice and tenderised by the time you get to Brest.

Top tip - avoid the T-bone steaks.

DanialW

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
Ah a mange toute '72 sans haricots (note stiff BB and oversized toobs with twisted profile) Those Cooks saddles are a bit problematic.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »
There are usually plenty of small children in the villages en route
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »
You probably should have figured out your eating strategy by now.

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »

you're going to lug 1.6kg of powder round with you !?!

No. There will be 4 visits to drop bags at 300, 525, 675, and 900km. Not quite evenly placed but I will be carrying 50g in bottles mixed at the start and 350g to mix at controls on that stage. Repeat x 4.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:06:49 am »
Small children get stuck in yer teeff

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:10:14 am »
4 x Energy drink mix
12 x cereal bars

I expect to get through the cereal bars in the first night/day then I'll just pick up whatever I can find
If the plan works coming back from Brest I will have plenty of time for cafe stops

Hopefully I won't really need the energy drink mix, except during night #1

« Reply #18 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
I've got a double fist-full of flapjack which is to keep me going until Mortagne (or, if I'm feeling really frisky, the control afterwards).

After that I'm just going to eat when hungry from the baskets of produce offered up by constant streams of worshipping natives... right?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:57:42 am »
Dont take much.  Loads of food available on route.   I will have enough to get me to first feed stop at Mortagne plus 10 gels and 2 tubes of NuuN for top up.  Then stuff myself silly at the controls.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #20 on: 18 August, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »
Not quite evenly placed but I will be carrying 50g in bottles mixed at the start and 350g to mix at controls on that stage. Repeat x 4.

You must be on first name terms with your dentist!

Occupational hazard for long-distance cyclists.  Have seen off 3 dentists and have more canal work than British Waterways  >:(
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21 on: 18 August, 2011, 12:49:06 pm »
Occupational hazard for long-distance cyclists.

Only if you choose to. I'm not planning on using any energy drinks or gels on PBP. Not even a can of coke.

I'm sure I could get round faster with them, but I should still get round in time without them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »
I'm off to Aldi and Lidl this morning to acclimatize myself

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #23 on: 18 August, 2011, 01:14:42 pm »
I'm off to Aldi and Lidl this morning to acclimatize myself

Just sitting around outside them with a ginsters pasty, pint of milk & wearing inappropriate clothes  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »
Also practice walking into the local Greggs and announcing a hearty "Good day" and wait for the lovely "Good day" from the proprietor.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."