Author Topic: PBP - Tweets: can anyone read Japanese?  (Read 2499 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
PBP - Tweets: can anyone read Japanese?
« on: 23 August, 2011, 01:34:40 pm »
I am following #pbp2011 on Twitter. I can sort-of decipher most of the European tweets but does anyone know what the orientals are tweeting?

Re: PBP - Tweets: can anyone read Japanese?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »
Post 'em here or send in a PM & I might be able to persuade Mrs B to translate a few, but she won't be willing to do any large-scale translation.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »
Thanks.

Naoki_trek: ( ̄□ ̄;)!!RT! RT @Ks_Style1: 何気にもうゴールされている方がいるんですね・・・日本人では無いけれど #PBP2011AJ #PBP2011

egathin: ブレスト折り返し地点に近づくツイート多数。もう半分走ったんだね。疲れ、眠気あまり無理しないで!皆さまの御無事を日本からお祈りしております。

At least tweets, by their nature, are short!

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
google translate gives something you can get a sense of from those two, in a consumer electronics manual sort of way. I've no idea if it is correct of course.

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »
Ah the number of big fat wives that have been presented to French waiters over the years sigh......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »
Here is a translation from someone in the know:

Naoki_trek: I see there are some who have already finished.....no Japanese though.

egathin: many tweets around the turning point, Brest. You have already done half. Tend to push too hard when you are so tired and sleepy. Be careful. best wishes to other japanese riders.

Arno.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »
Thank you!

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:46:36 am »
Ah, beaten to it.

I wonder how twitter treats kanji? If as one character, then Japanese tweets can be much longer. Even in kana they can be longer, as both the scripts are syllabic.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:55:13 am »
Ah, beaten to it.

I wonder how twitter treats kanji? If as one character, then Japanese tweets can be much longer. Even in kana they can be longer, as both the scripts are syllabic.

Twitter is unicode-based and makes a best effort to count "characters" rather than "bytes" or whatever.  So yes, you should be able to make a 140-kanji tweet.

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/counting-characters.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2011, 11:21:26 am »
Ah, beaten to it.

Sorry about this.