Author Topic: PBP - Back in Paris (ride reports)  (Read 2727 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
PBP - Back in Paris (ride reports)
« on: 24 August, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »
Short ride report.

Aimed foolishly for a sub-60 hour ride.  After a few hours this was clearly not on, very hot, and horrible group riding with no discipline in the echelons for a cross wind.  Then minor mechanical, stone hit either front ride brake block or cycle computer (probably new front right brake replaced at the insistence of commissaire-from-hell that checked my bike over).  Turned out to be a blessing in disguise - once I'd lost 20 minutes I was behind the fast guys so no point in killing myself from then on.  Proved Steve Abraham's theories on sleep deprivation right - had to take three catnaps by the side of the road (top tip - hide 10m down a crossroads so no-one tries to rescue you).  Suffered bad indigestion and reflux the next day and having miserable time of it before stopping at the chemist to get some pills (Strong, 1 per day, not with food) at Meneac, 20km before Loudeac.  Good move.  Instead of getting dropped on climbs and not being able to stay with groups seemed to have new pair of legs (does help when you can breath properly).  Got to Brest just before it got dark on Monday and just before the rain started (wife sent me message saying it was likely to be a bad night).  Abandoned idea of fast ride and booked 5 hours of sleep.  Tuesday - left Brest at 03:35 for one of the best day's riding in my life.  Gentle tailwind, legs going twice as well as the day before, bewildered riders in my wake, except for one Russian who got towed at warp speed into Tinteniac.  Paid for that later as feeling v. weary from Fougeres to Villaines.  Met a couple of French guys and we shared the work, getting to Villaines at dusk.  Checked in for another 5 hour sleep stop, and set off at 4am for the last dash.  Didn't like the rough road surfaces so did a fair bit of time trialling that entertained the few crazy enough to pick up the CET's wheel and made it back to Paris for a boozy lunch.

Plan B wasn't as fast as plan A but it sure was more enjoyable.  Time checks for fellow nerds:

Paris Sun 16:10
Villaines Mon 0:35
Fougeres  Mon 4:56
Tinteniac  Mon 07:45
Loudeac  Mon 12:09
Carhaix  Mon 16:15
Brest  Mon 20:50  Dept Tue 3:35
Carhaix Tue 06:59
Loudeac Tue 10:39
Tinteniac Tue 14:30
Fougeres Tue 17:05
Villaines  Tue 21:10  Dept Wed 04:00
Mortagne Wed 07:18
Dreux  Wed 10:30
Paris  Wed 13:26

Stopped at all controls - usually for about 30mins  but had longer at Cairhaix outbound and Fougeres on the return.

Other tales welcome
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: PBP - Back in Paris (ride reports)
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2011, 10:13:31 am »
My first stage went quite badly. Basically after too much standing around in the blistering heat I pushed a bit too hard heading to Mortagne and arrived with a bit of heat exhaustion. Although not in the ride plan I had to sleep for an hour before I could get any food down me so crawled into the support wagon. Still took the next stage to recover to had the dismal experience of being passed by everyone.
After a catnap in Villaine I picked up on the way to Fougere and really got the hand of the terrain which would be much the same to Carhaix. Also accepted that there was a light headwind and not to make a big deal out of it. Out of Fougere I really enjoyed having some showers to ride through, they felt quite comforting after the heat. Tinteniac seemed a bit dull as I did a quick pass through the control and headed on to Loudeac.
Having suffered from the heat and headwind making me a bit slower than anticipated, I decided on a two hour sleep in the van (note, coming out of controls and going the wrong way incurs much french shouting. If you need to do this for a support vehicle then shout very clearly and loudly DORMIR EN VOITURE while pointing emphatically, all else is in vain). Luckily this is when the storm hit and the rain on the roof soothed me to sleep. When I awoke, the roads were already drying.
St Nicholas du Pelem was a welcome little oasis (if a little chaotic). After that rode towards some strange flashing lights that confused me until quite close where they turned out to be on wind turbines which, in the fog were very War of the Worlds. Rode with LEE for a bit until Carhaix where the main dining hall was hot and sweaty.
Started the trawl up over Roc T but as the light started to break got the dozies to pulled into Huelgoat for a nap. Squeegee'd a bench with the reflective jacket, put on the merino and then used the reflective wrapped around a folded brevet wallet for a pillow. Set my alarm for 15 minutes but was rudely awoken at 12 by the church bells. Toiled the rst of the way into some heavy fog and then discovered I was on a gentle descent.Some thrumming of wheels behind me announced the arrival of one of the first 84hr waves which I jumped on for a tow. When the descent got steep I tucked for a quick dive and the group decided to chase. The fog meant the people at the back were caught out and had to chase harder. There were four of these drops on the way down and after the last one pulled into a picnic area to eat a ham baguette. Watched as the group desperately tried to reorganise and get back together. The moral of that story being; if a fat English git rips past you on a descent without turning the pedals, don't try to catch him, he isn't one of you.
The rest of the run to Brest was nice and picturesque although the milk run through the town a bit tedious. Fairly short turnaround there and hated the heavy traffic to get out of town. After that the gentle tailwind meant I picked right up and got on well headed for Roc T again. Even faster on the lower slopes as I jumped on the back of a dane-train (there were many). Alas my knee was starting to ache following a couple of awkward unclips earlier in the route so I eased off to ride with Drew Buck for a bit. Besides, he's a far more uplifting presence. Cracking set of descents off the top, including a few competitions against a French old boy which ended in a draw (I clearly lost overall due to his superior technique).
An hour sleep in Carhaix was needed to set me off for Loudeac (Briefly met Philip of Maidenhead while controlling). Loved seeing the turbines on the way to St Nic so as to confirm that they aren't marching across the land to usurp our iron rule. Suggested the Canadian 30 man bike for next time to Drew but he doens't reckon there are enough people on here mad enough to do it. I reckon he's wrong. Shortly after St Nic I saw a distraught Alsatian in a small enclosure by the road. It was clearly exhausted by spending two days barking at cyclists but couldn't bring iself to give up. Shortly after a playful black pug bounced around the line until a couple of velomobiles tested it's nerve to the limit (cheese-eating surrender dog?)
Leisurely control at Loudeac with an early sleep. A little under-prepared for the next leg so the secret control came at perfect timing to pick up food and was able to get to Tinteniac without too much low. Support crew was perfect timing after a nap at T as rear tire had started to split. Spotted the ratcatcher so rushed out to ride with Patrick Field for a bit and then split up.
Got through Fougere quickly again and set a stunning pace halfway to Loudeac. Alas the knee took exception to a twist as I changed shorts to had to twiddle the rest of the way to Villaines. On the outskirts the support van was helping a Dutch rider that had veered into the bricked central reservation and had to ambulanced off despite protestations. Hero's welcome was all a bit much in V so headed off to take pictures of the sleeping Chillmoister and Keeks on the way to Mortagne. Knee really got uppity on the climbs and when I made the control I discovered that the front tire was wearing through so got gouged for a replacement.
One last sleep and I was on my way. The first part of this leg really took it's toll as the forest road made it hard to tell up from down and only when we got out, and aided by the company of slower than my shadow was I able to make a decent fist of it.
Contemplated a nap but it seemed to early so pushed on. Alas after the outskirts of Dreux I couldn't keep it together so bimbled for two hours as it seemed too cold for nap. Picked up in the daylight alas, despite the quick legs the eyes wouldn't stay open so ended up napping at the 20k to go mark. Seemed silly but better than the alternative. Support crew rode in with us from about 10k and even drafted an official vehicle off a set of lights. Finished well but disappointed that I wasn't allowed to ride down the ramp to the parking area.
Much respect to the final controllers for agreeing to be anywhere close to the most rank and rancid smelling bunch of riders ever.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2011, 09:00:11 pm »
Long ride report is available here

http://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/a-pbp-ancien-rides-again-with-mixed-thoughts-but-ultimately-happiness/

There wont be an Arrivee article.  Its first hand unedited and just hand checked for obvious factual mistakes.  Apologies for any misrepresentations.\
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »
Long ride report is available here

http://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/a-pbp-ancien-rides-again-with-mixed-thoughts-but-ultimately-happiness/

There wont be an Arrivee article.  Its first hand unedited and just hand checked for obvious factual mistakes.  Apologies for any misrepresentations.\
Excellent write up almost 66 hours worth there.
 Well done looking forward to all the other reports, I couldn't recall anything enough for a write up in 2003
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2011, 09:16:08 am »
An excellent report on a very good ride.   Just one thought, some years ago when I was troubled by acid reflux I was advised to keep off red wine and coffee.   Thankfully I no longer have the problem and now enjoy both.