Author Topic: PBP - what are you REALLY glad you had in your saddlebag?  (Read 4518 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
PBP - what are you REALLY glad you had in your saddlebag?
« on: 29 August, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
We've had a thread on what you hauled around northern France and didn't use, but what about things you are really glad you had?

Mine was definitely a very small travel towel (about 15 inch square). My first sleep stop had only paper towels to dry yourself on, and I didn't even bother investigating towel options at the second.

Drying yourself with a 15inch towel is not easy, but I am glad i had it with me!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

red marley

Re: PBP - what are you REALLY glad you had in your saddlebag?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2011, 12:58:48 pm »
Silk sleeping bag liner and some Gaviscon sachets.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
not in a saddlebag, but energizer lithium aa batteries was a revelation. i used them in b&m ixon light, and one set lasted the entire event! when riding in big groups i switched it off and had a small cateye el-450 on all the time. all other stuff was tried and tested and performed as expected.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »
Again, not in the bag, but I was glad to have my Supernova E3 triple light. I was able to sit just behind MattC and force him to ride in his own shadow for a while, and it was worth having just for that ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »
my Supernova E3 triple light. I was able to sit just behind MattC and force him to ride in his own shadow for a while, and it was worth having just for that ;)
overly-bright lights were extemely rare on this ride. Having you behind me was  a little reminder of events back home, quite heart-warming.

Sorry I had to drop you ;)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2011, 03:58:45 pm »
Jelly babies and other jelly sweets of various descriptions.  Leftovers consumed at midnight feast on Thursday/Friday when munchies kicked in (or something).
Water
Raincoat
Trousers
Jersey
fairy tools
ie all the obvious ones
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2011, 04:35:02 pm »
Jelly babies and other jelly sweets of various descriptions.  Leftovers consumed at midnight feast on Thursday/Friday when munchies kicked in (or something).

Yeah I agree with this.  My favourite thing was my nose bar bag, giving instant access to heaps of food.  I usually had a Pain Aux Rasin or two in there.  Early in the ride I even had Le sandwich jambon which fit diagonally if I bit the end off first.  Of course after the first day I was unable to eat the dry, tasteless baguette + ham that passed as a "sandwich" from the controls
Managed to stop at a shop on tuesday and get a pack of fig rolls

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »
my Supernova E3 triple light. I was able to sit just behind MattC and force him to ride in his own shadow for a while, and it was worth having just for that ;)
overly-bright lights were extemely rare on this ride. Having you behind me was  a little reminder of events back home, quite heart-warming.

Sorry I had to drop you ;)

That light is perfect for tiny groups on the dark lanes around Carhaix. 

I have no doubt that your 2004 technology lamp entirely outshone the weak torches casting 20cm-diameter patches of vague moonlight that some people relied on. I wasn't spending much time in the main bulge, so on that basis I think you're the one who should have the guilty conscience -  if anyone does ;)

« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »
Some bags of ORS. I suffered from salt-shortage during the first night due to standing in the sun for 3 hours in the stadium, I made a bottle of ORS at the Café des Sports. Upon entering the Perche the cramps had gone.

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:06:02 pm »
I was glad of my supply of free Wiggle Haribo packets for eating at night. It was as much about keeping me awake as the sugar kick I got from them. Once I had eaten about half of my Haribo I could then fit my waterproof coat inside rather than on top of my Barley which was handy. I was also glad of my lightweight but waterproof overshoes, they kept my shoes dry during the thunder storm coming out of Leudeac on Monday night without which I would have been squelching for the next 3 days.

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
A largish Sudocream - enough to apply lavishly!!!
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:22:35 pm »
Toothbrush and toothpaste.

« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
Earplugs

« Reply #13 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:28:34 pm »
Toothbrush and toothpaste.
Yeah yeah. Every blighter but me had some. I had to shop for some between Tintineac & Fougeres on the way back, and cleaned my teeth with bidon water on the roadside. Didn't help much though, and my mouth is still not as it was. Ugh.

I ate more indigestion tablets in 3 days than in the preceding 40 years. Very glad I took them. I can ask for brosse a dents but I'm buggered if I know french for CaCO3

Simonb

« Reply #14 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »
Ibuprofen and Overstims aplenty! And toothbrush & paste.

« Reply #15 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:36:41 pm »
Actually I forgot to say my small pot of Assos arse cream (for top ups), my ear plugs and face mask also.

LEE

« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »
Ibuprofen that I bought in a French Pharmacie.  My knees were so sore that I was riding in the granny ring on the flat all morning.  My English Ibuprofen had run out and the French "dissolve in the mouth" variety seemed 100x more effective. They fixed my knees totally in an hour and kept them fixed.

There's no way I would have got around in time without them.

« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2011, 11:45:45 pm »
A bivvy bag, sleeping bag liner, a tube of Conotrane and a bunch of spare spokes!! :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 30 August, 2011, 09:27:04 am »
I ate more indigestion tablets in 3 days than in the preceding 40 years. Very glad I took them. I can ask for brosse a dents but I'm buggered if I know french for CaCO3
I think it's
CaCO3

(but as I can't pronounce the alphabet in French, I'd probably struggle)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:23:18 am »
Boris
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Simonb

« Reply #20 on: 30 August, 2011, 12:59:59 pm »
I think it's
CaCO3

(but as I can't pronounce the alphabet in French, I'd probably struggle)

Was sat with my Dad at Loudeac discussing my indigestion, we decided to ask at first aid on the way out for some relief. As I picked up my cap, I discovered underneath a discarded pack of indigestion tablets. Fortuitous!

Priddy

• One of the "wrong sorts"
« Reply #21 on: 30 August, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »
One of those silver space blankets, great for kipping on the side of the road.
A small pack of face wipes, refreshing at 1am when feeling sticky.
A couple of tubes of SIS Energy Jell, for those moments when you want to go from moping at the side of the road to twitching with energy in 0.8 seconds.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #22 on: 30 August, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »
1) tiny bottle of hand cleaner gel, used scrupulously after every toilet stop, and

2) MP3 player - not used until after Mortagne-au-Perche on return (seemed rude to ride with someone and then cut myself off), but then like a rocket up the backside at displacing the dozies and getting me back on time after we finally split up.

EDIT

and 3) small mirror and 'sucker' to remove contact lenses
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste