Author Topic: PBP - what did you leave out of your saddle bag?  (Read 1958 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
PBP - what did you leave out of your saddle bag?
« on: 29 August, 2011, 01:08:37 pm »
To complement the other two threads... what did omit from your saddle bag and glad to have done without?
Or maybe there was something you left behind that you'd really rather wished you'd taken with you?

For us, we were glad to not have carried:
- route-sheet holder. Sign posts + GPS at night worked brilliantly.
- second head torch. Even the first got much less use than normal (due to the above).
- Third pair of shorts (each). Washing & drying worked out fine.

Re: PBP - what did you leave out of your saddle bag?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »
Glad I left my long-sleeved jersey out of my saddlebag when I realised there was no room for it.  I wouldn't have worn it as all three nights were fairly mild

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:14:36 am »
Wish I had packed mosquito repellent.On Monday and especially tuesday night I could feel the little bu***rs sinking into my flesh,even through my shorts, and I would say the bites were more painful than anything the saddle inflicted on me. I have never been so painfully affected by mossies until this experience. Other than that I used most things and regretted nothing.
The french riders commented that they can always tell the English riders because they all have Carradice saddlebags stuffed with gear they dont need.

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2011, 11:27:23 am »
This really surprises me because Monday night would roughly put you in the area where I live (Huelgoat) and I haven't seen or been bitten by one mossy this summer. Been stung by more wasps in 8 months though than a lifetime in England.

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2011, 11:45:02 am »
No mossie problems on the actual ride for me but there were plenty at the campsite.  I got a couple of big bites on my foot the Friday before the start.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2011, 11:49:07 am »
The french riders commented that they can always tell the English riders because they all have Carradice saddlebags stuffed with gear they dont need.
..and we can always tell the French riders because they seem to have no luggage, we assume this is because they have their mates at every control with a car full of spare jerseys, food and suncream

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »
Left out my rainlegs & overshoes & wore a pair of sealskinz socks on the monday night when it was chucking it down & they worked perfectly  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »
Tuggo ruthlessly decimated my luggage. It's probably a good thing, though I should have checked I had some eye drops before I let him remove the bottle.

He's probably sniffing the other spare shorts as I type.