Author Topic: Sports Tours (Baxters) PBP 2011 - Customer Survey  (Read 5668 times)

AndyC

Sports Tours (Baxters) PBP 2011 - Customer Survey
« on: 30 August, 2011, 07:56:42 am »
Sports Tours (Baxters) don't seem to do feedback in any format so perhaps it would be worthwhile gathering a little for them anyway.

It's obviously important to state if you were on the 3 Star option or the 2 Star as experiences seem to differ.

A couple of sentences would do but if you wish to be more structured typical areas would obviously include:
Pickup & Transfer
The hotel & food
The Rep: Good or Bad
Support on the ride.
Overall score where 1 = Poor, 5 = Average & 10 = Excellent.
Would you use them again Yes/No.

Re: Sports Tours (Baxters) PBP 2011 - Customer Survey
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:28:45 am »
I shall be sending my comments direct to Baxters. Some good points but also several things could have been done better.
Its only once every 4 years so its hardly big business, compared with the Etape de Tour or TDF. As a first timer I used them to take away some of the fear factor , when tackling the unknown and to avoid the driving.
The 3* group was generally pretty sociable, you couldnt be friends with everyone but a few familiar faces helped on the ride itself.
Main negative was hotel location, 10k at 4a.m on Thursday morning was  interesting to say the least.
Main positive was bag drop/coach presence at Fougeres and Carhaix. Made logistics much easier.

roddo

• pbp 8509
    • The Cycling Fatboy Project
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2011, 09:57:21 am »
ok - my baxters experience  3*

i was told i could take a hard case, only to receive literature saying the opposite. i took the case, and by the way bikes were packed (a free for all) i was glad i put my case at the bottom

interestingly, no headcount on the bus, even though we were 15 mins early in departure from victoria - but no one seemed missed

had to complain to get air con turned on

dinner day 1 - while not being included, could have been a little organised - ie - forewarning the companile rerstaurant across the road was cheap and easy to do (1 ph call) or at least warn ppl of the lack of options

brekkie d1 - a disaster - no staff, no food, no baxter rep to sort things out.  so i bought my own

had to fire up staff for coffee, juice and milk on mon morning 3am.  not a banana in sight!

food on a whole was very ordinary throughout.  i had my family coming down to meet me so i shelved plans to have celebrationary dinner with group from bus on thurs night for fear of not getting a good meal.

this all seemed compounded by the guide not managing complaints vey well and the company not being clear in setting expectations.

missed the bus at fougeres on the way out as it seemed i missed one of the guide's haphazard briefings.  luckily i had planned for this (did mike say there would be signs??)

carhaix bus seemed organised and consistent

fougeres on way back - guide seemed keen to provide but just not what i was after:  bananas and a weather forecast would have been more than enough but neither provided.

finding my bags at the end - no bag counts on and off the buses, no set place for bags at hotel meant it was difficult finiding my bags - and involved many ph calls  unnecessary.

bailed out on thursday so not subjected to further displays of service from baxters.

all in all, quite an expensive service that could have been so much better.   

i would use a bus again, but not baxters.
Sur la Plaque

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2011, 01:04:29 pm »
1st timer on the 3* option - as recommended by your good self Andy...

My expectations weren't overly high - I just wanted to get there, have a bed for the pre-start nights, have drop-bag points for the ride itself, have a beer or more at/after the finish, have somewhere to sleep afterwards, then to get me home without me having to ride/drive/fight through airports.

On those counts, in my opinion, the Baxter's Service met them all. Perfectly adequate - no more. but no less.  Score = 3 / 5

You can be picky though:
1) A Best Western Hotel with Affligem or Leffe beer taps but only serving Kronenbourg?
2) Shortage of pint/0.5L glasses?
3) Air Con not working in bedrooms on 1st night.
4) 6euros a pint (for bog-standard blonde Kronenbourg) - this is not the top of Alpe d'Huez or other such Alpine resort!
5) What was the point of the raw cooked spaghetti or plain boiled rice at breastfast? A few wires crossed here perhaps! Just a waste of effort by the kitchen staff!
6) Joining instructions to meet the coaches were a bit "last minute". I was wrongly under the impression that there would be a trailer rack - like Euro Bike Express - thus was all panniered up to ride into M'c'r Victoria and get on the bus. So, 2 x £25 taxi fares plus the aggro of sorting a bag/box at the last minute was not welcome.

Mike McG seemed to be getting criticism from one or two heads. I don't think he is "Baxter's Staff" and I reckon he did a good enough job - heart in the right place, etc. He coped well enough in the circumstances. Cheers Mike, if you read this ! Score = 4 / 5  :thumbsup:

To conclude, it was a tad pricey for what we got (3*) or not, but I would still return to PBP with a bus service. It's easier than the alternatives for me. The next time (if there is one for me) I might just go with a 2* option and get the beers in advance from the supermarket. :smug:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

roddo

• pbp 8509
    • The Cycling Fatboy Project
« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »
Re:

Mike McG seemed to be getting criticism from one or two heads. I don't think he is "Baxter's Staff" and I reckon he did a good enough job - heart in the right place, etc. He coped well enough in the circumstances. Cheers Mike, if you read this ! Score = 4 / 5 

Yes, agreed, unfortunately nice guy Mike had a tough job from the start.  A good lesson in how not to organise a trip. 

Sur la Plaque

Simonb

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2011, 11:13:00 pm »
The next time (if there is one for me) I might just go with a 2* option and get the beers in advance from the supermarket. :smug:

Just go for Formule 1 and eat/drink whatever you want. Very friendly bunch.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2011, 01:12:01 am »
I booked to go with Baxters for only really 3 reasons:

1. I was worried about how (in)capable I would be of getting back after the ride either by bike or car.
3. There seemed to be no information on whether any official storage for luggage would be available during the ride, and I was definitely not prepared to lug the clothes I travelled to France in around 1230km!
2. I wanted to have a bag drop option so I could have a change of shorts a couple of times during the ride without carrying touring weight luggage around with me.

On those 3 counts Baxters did actually deliver. They got me there and back, they stored my luggage in the hotel (even though this was in an insecure room shared by other tour parties) and they provided the bag drops at Fougeres and Carhaix. However I hadn't been bargaining on some of the aspects of the service that had not even crossed my mind in advance.

1. A week before we were due to leave we still had no itinerary and had no communication whatsoever from Baxters since the day they had taken the money. I couldn't plan my travel the 130 miles to the pick up point until I knew for sure where and when it was. I did some digging to see if they had actually gone bankrupt in the days before the ride when i should have been worrying about other things!

2. Hazza! 5 days before travel an email arrives telling me that 'bike trailer' is actually just 'trailer', and my bike must be fully disassembled and put in a soft bike bag or will be refused for travel. I don't know how to take apart or reassemble my bike and this is frankly the last thing on earth I want to be doing to a bike that's been set up has been fine tuned over months and months by other people, immediately before the epic ride of my life. Oh, and I don't actually own a bike bag. Seriously considered flushing the £650 down the toilet and making other plans for the journey over. In hindsight this is exactly what I should have done. What I actually did was frantically order a bike bag on next day delivery then sit at home all day when I should have been somewhere else, waiting for it to arrive. Then spent a whole day getting my bike into it when I should have been packing my suitcase, resting, and planning for the ride.

3. Turned up at the pickup point at the NEC in Birmingham, trusting that the promise that bikes would be safe in bike bags because hard cases and boxes would be refused. I had even been told there was no need to remove the rear mech from the frame because great care would be taken. I was more than a little bit dismayed to see someone else's bike packed in a large cardboard box waiting to be loaded. It seems they had been told this was OK. If I could have turned round and made my own way to France I probably would have done at this point. Coach 2 then arrived, and the bikes were loaded 1 layer deep into it's trailer. So far so good. I did my best to relax. Arrived at Watford gap services where I had to change to coach 1 for the 3* hotel. My bike was thrown unceremoniously into a trailer 3 deep in a mixture of bike bags, hard cases and boxes. At every stop more bikes were thrown in any old how, until the crowning glory was 2 heavy plastic cases loaded at Dover, one at a 90 degree diagonal angle to the side of Simon's bike bag. We didn't find out about this until we arrived at the hotel, where rather then relaxing and going up to the room we spent an anxious hour inspecting the damage. The next morning Simon spent a total of 2 hours truing the crushed rear wheel and repairing the damaged bars and levers. I felt like the biggest mug in the world for obeying an order to inadequately protect my bike on the basis this company would look after it.

4. The hotel itself was very nice, but it became immediately apparent that the route in to the PBP start was 12km long over a very unpleasant and often dangerous route. It was sited at the junction of huge trunk roads and dual carriageways in a location ideal to access by car. And lots of people were accessing this area by car. On the first full day there one member of our party was hit by a car at a roundabout near the hotel, and although he did start the ride he only made it as far as Carhaix because of his injuries. The distance to the start seemed worse somehow knowing that the Baxters 2* hotel was less than 3km out.

5. The food was of a lower standard than any school meal I was ever fed in the 70's and 80's. The hotel's chef was away on holiday, and whoever had been left behind to cater for us seemed to have been instructed to feed us a bland item of protein (no sauces or seasoning) and a massive pile of bland carbohydrate only. There was only one meal on offer. If you were vegetarian then they would grudgingly remove the lump of chicken or fish from your plate and just give you the plate of bare rice or pasta back again (with the stain of where the lump of animal had been of course). I'm not vegetarian but was pretty horrified on behalf of those who were. When asked if they could provide an omelette or some other alternative, the answer was simply 'non'.

6. Breakfasts I didn't have a problem with what was offered, in that it was a typical continental breakfast and we were on the continent. But there was a tendency for food to just run out, and if you got up fairly late (but still during the advertised time of the breakfast), you might arrive to find someone wheeling the dregs away and nothing left at all! There were random huge bowls of pasta or rice provided with nothing to go with them. We wondered if they were what was left over of the previous nights huge bare carbo offerings that most of us just couldn't eat because there was nothing to eat them with.

7. I made the fatal mistake on the Saturday of actually reading all the official PBP blurb. I then became worried because there were clear rules about support vehicles and declaring and registering them. I hadn't got the box ticked on my registration for support vehicle and neither had Simon. We asked the Baxters staff if the coaches had been officially registered. The penalty for using an unregistered support vehicle is 5 hours. The Baxters staff had no clue what I was talking about and said that no, this had not been done. Denise suggested that Eddie, the driver of the other coach, was more than likely seeing to this since he actually knew what he was doing. We desperately hoped that she was right, but seriously considered not doing the bag drops at all just in case.

8. after the ride having arrived back at just after 1pm on the Thursday, had a drink in the bar and chat to other yacfers, we then rode back the 12km (it's actually a miracle we are still alive after that journey). We were then told we had until 6pm to pack our bikes for loading on to the coach. Since by then it was gone 4pm, it had taken me a few hours to take my bike apart at home and carefully pack it, and that was when I could actually walk and bend over and had more than 11 hours sleep in 5 days, this seemed a somewhat unreasonable request.

On arriving at the hotel the stress of what had happened to the bikes on the way out came flooding back to me, and I decided that since it was then too late for me to obtain a f**-off heavy plastic monstrous box for my bike to protect it from other peoples f***-off heavy boxes, I was going to take the law into my own hands and personally protect my bike from damage. I informed the Baxters staff that my bike was going with me to my room, and that I would personally load it in the morning plus get off at every stop so that no one else would either move my bike or recklessly pile stuff on top of it. Whilst the coach driver didn't seem happy about this at all, since Baxters had already breached their own contract there was not much they could do about it.

9. The crowning glory of the whole tour was when the moron in the seat behind told me I was not allowed to recline my seat otherwise I 'would be very sure to have an uncomfortable journey', and then proceeded to kick and knee me in the back. Being in both a poor mental and physical state my tolerance threshold for such fuckwittery was low and I offered to rearrange his face for him if he didn't desist. When he told Simon to please keep his monkey under control things really kicked off. No member of Baxters staff bothered to find out what the shouting was about, and I really should have lodged a complaint against the other passenger for both the physical and verbal assault.

In summary, would I ever do it again with Baxters? Hell no.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »
4. The hotel itself was very nice, but it became immediately apparent that the route in to the PBP start was 12km long over a very unpleasant and often dangerous route. It was sited at the junction of huge trunk roads and dual carriageways in a location ideal to access by car. And lots of people were accessing this area by car.

Were we at the same hotel?
Mike McG handed out loads of printouts of a streetmap showing how to get to St Quentin avoiding the dual carriageway. You just had to use the bridge outside the hotel to ride over the dual c'way and ride to the rail station, take the underpass, then follow the railway on its far side along quiet and generous roads, all the way into the town centre and the event start. Nothing could have been simpler! :thumbsup:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »
4. The hotel itself was very nice, but it became immediately apparent that the route in to the PBP start was 12km long over a very unpleasant and often dangerous route. It was sited at the junction of huge trunk roads and dual carriageways in a location ideal to access by car. And lots of people were accessing this area by car.

Were we at the same hotel?
Mike McG handed out loads of printouts of a streetmap showing how to get to St Quentin avoiding the dual carriageway. You just had to use the bridge outside the hotel to ride over the dual c'way and ride to the rail station, take the underpass, then follow the railway on its far side along quiet and generous roads, all the way into the town centre and the event start. Nothing could have been simpler! :thumbsup:

I have to agree actually - I wasn't with Baxters but was at the Best Western and I found it a nice distance away and the roads were all pretty good and quiet.  Even alongside that dual carriage way was the hardly used old road (which is actually a French cycle route similar to a Sustrans route according to the maps I looked at).

Hotel itself was okay - slightly annoying that the chef was still on his hols, but the little creperie behind the supermarket was excellent (the genius of mixing tartiflette and gallette into a galliflette - amazing!) and the market on Saturday was brilliant.  The chinese, not so good - but lesson learnt.

The deli was brilliant as well - she knew me by the end - I ate at lease three of her quiches and a couple of friandes (sausage rolls FTW) - she was ever so pleased to see me on the Thursday after I finished, asking how hard it had been etc.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »
I used Baxters for the third time. Before signing up in 2003 I had done a couple of their training camps.

The reason for the pre-amble - I knew what to expect.

My original scheduled pickup was some way from home but I requested collection from a more convenient m-way services.  Jonathan Baxter said no problem. 

The Best Western was a comfortable hotel with free wi-fi throughout, which meant I could keep up with the cricket and schedule BBC iplayer to record the one programme that I didn't want to miss while I was away.

The route to the SQY was easy once you'd had a look at Google maps.

The food was bland before the ride but the meal on the Thursday was better once the chef was back from holiday.

I don't feel the need to use the coach on the ride but it's nice to know that its there in case your ride goes belly up.

The bar behind the supermarket did a good tartine and had three Belgian beers on tap.

I would probably use the service again because it's minimal hassle. You can relax on the coach on the way there, in the hotel before the ride and sleep most of the way home.

Sports Tours International should have had a proper company rep available with the ability to resolve clients concerns. Mike made the best of a bad job.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »
As with all aspects of PBP, it seems that everyone's perception is different. What infuriates some will be trivial to others and vice-versa. I agree that ST could have got the paperwork out a bit earlier. On the other hand, I had to amend my booking so that the rest of the Redlights could join me at the finish and found Vicki in the ST office to be very efficient and helpful.

I was in the Best Western group and would echo what other have said about Mike. he did a good job in the circumstances but had not been given the support he neded from ST. He went out of his way to try and help, including having bags of spares, tools, etc. on hand, sorting out a system for identifying which bags went on which coach, handing out maps, and so on. Unfortunately, he didn't know what had been agreed with the hotel and didn't have the authority to make changes.

It would have been nice to have been closer to the start but I didn't have any complaints about the ride in - and due to my somewhat challenged navigational skills, I tried several variations on the route!  Riding 10km back at the end isn't fun though, irrespective of the roads.

The shortcomings of the hotel are discussed elsewhere. Again, if anything they did what they had been asked to do so we can't realy blame them for the poor quality of the food. In fairness to ST, I emailed them on the Sunday before setting off and the food was certainly better on the Thursday when we got back.  I received an acknowlegdment but nothing else so I can't say whether my message had any impact but I thought the final meal was of the standard we should have expected.

I was disappointed to see that the plastic sheeting that the hotel had put down in the "bike room" was ripped up. I appreciate it wasa bit awkward to move around on but I felt somewhat embarrassed when I went down to get my own bike on Friday morning and found a guy on his hands and knees trying to remove (the numerous) oils marks from the carpet.  There was also a lot of rubbish strewn around that room and the area outside. Perhaps we could have been more considerate ourselves?

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

red marley

« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »
I liked the hotel itself - good spacious rooms and didn't mind its location too much once I'd learnt the route in and out. I'm not sure I would have been quite so keen had I been on the early morning 84 hour start though.

Breakfasts suited me fine, but then I was an early riser so didn't suffer any shortages. The evening veggie food was appalling though. Day one: rice and overboiled tinned veggies. Day two: pasta and overboiled tinned veggies. Thursday's special celebration meal: pasta and ratatouille. I had told Sport Tours in advance that I was veggie; I told Mike on a daily basis and the serving staff every evening but they all seemed to forget within minutes of telling. Not sure what more I could have done.

I thought Mike made a sterling effort, but was out of his depth in many aspects of the organisation. This may have been though no fault of his own, but if we are paying for it, it really is Sport Tours' responsibility to provide the staff and support for them they need to do the job properly. I felt as though I had to reassure and support him more than the other way around.

Unless there is some obvious change in the way they run things, I don't think I would use Sport Tours again, nor recommend them to anyone else.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:23:24 pm »
I used Baxters in 2007 and was glad that I did - main benefit - I was travelling with people who had done PBP before and knew the ropes - especially things like how long you had to queue at the start, where to go for the pre-event meal, etc, etc.

This time, knowing the ropes, went solo, booking my own hotel and ferry and knowing bike would be safe full assembled and flat in my large family estate car.  Overall cost (Ferry plus own hotel) was substantially cheaper than Baxters and I was free to forage for my own meals.  Also could spend just 6 days (4 holiday) away from home rather than the Baxters schedule that would have required taking 7 days holiday.

Perhaps (remind me in 3 years time) some anciens could offer to buddy 2015 newbies as an alternative to choosing Baxters....  ;D 8)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »

Perhaps (remind me in 3 years time) some anciens could offer to buddy 2015 newbies as an alternative to choosing Baxters....  ;D 8)

Funnily enough, I had been seriously considering if I don't ride again in 2015 organising some kind of an AUK bag drop (with some TLC for the riders thrown in) myself. If I did it single handedly all it would really involve would be hiring a large van and locating myself at pre-arranged spots before, during and after the ride.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »
Julian did this last time, and also set up a YACF campsite at Loudeac.  I'm not sure it was tremendously enjoyable, though it was tremendously appreciated.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2011, 11:42:28 am »
To avoid this topic getting derailled, I've started a Baxters-onna-Budget thread!
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51392.0
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
AUK have never really taken an interest in travel arrangements to PBP however if someone were to take up the gauntlet all they would really need to do would be to use the Baxter model and iron out the kinks. I noted that the Bike Bus did the Semaine Federale last time and parked the bus up for the week.

Reading Feline's post, it sounds like an expensive shower of shit to me! It looks like you had to be "in the know" and have done research to get the best benefit from this service. Taking money and then not telling people that they'd need to pack their bike nor telling them the best way to get from the hotel to the start seems so easily done, but wasn't? ???
Wasn't this supposed to be a specialist service for cyclists? I reckon I could have got to and from PBP via any old coach company or have flown to CDG with my padded bike bag, got a taxi to a pre-booked hotel for much less money. Or even used the train all the way. That only leaves the bag drop.

Maybe AUK should try Bike Express next time? With it's special trailer for carrying bikes without the need of bike bags, boxes or stripping down bikes. Just hang it up in the trailer and off you go. The late Neville Channin had no qualms about using this to take his Green Argos or Allin to the Alps.
Having your bike damaged on a cycling specific service, then having to sort it out yourself seems unnacceptable to me.

I never used it myself, but from what I heard, it sounded pretty naff to me. But, as I never used it, I'm not a great judge. It has put me off using their service ever, untill I hear of any improvements. Reading Feline's post, it looks as if my PBP, which I planned myself very easily, was much more stress free. In fact, it was entirely stress free!

« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
I took Baxter's in 07. I was surprised at what poor value for money it was. I certainly wouldn't have used them this year if I'd have been interested in riding PBP.

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »
Posted by: Raminphrikesh Pharghangitalivati
« on: Today at 02:12:55 PM » Insert Quote
I took Baxter's in 07. I was surprised at what poor value for money it was. I certainly wouldn't have used them this year if I'd have been interested in riding PBP.

+1

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »
Posted to the auklist  just now

Auk- Problems @ Maurepas re PBP

Michael McGeever via yahoogroups.com to audax

21:01

I have had reply to my trip report to "Baxter's" from Alex de Waard who is  new to Sports Tours and started a couple of months ago  replacing Peter Davies as head of tours.

Those  who wrote in complaining have received a £70 refund.

I have only contacted those whom I have contact details but there will be some of you who will welcome the above information.

Could someone forward this info. to YACF site.

red marley

« Reply #20 on: 04 December, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »
I feel mildly peed off by this. While getting pretty poor service from Baxters (see my post above along with most others), I didn't choose to write a letter of complaint to Baxters directly. As a result it appears I have missed out on a £70 refund. Given the problems were ones that pretty much affected everyone (and possibly veggies and later risers more than most), it would have been good of Baxters to have provided the refund to all who were affected, not just those who were more vocal in their complaints.

I guess I will have to write to Baxters directly...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #21 on: 04 December, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »
Just reading this baxters sounds completely horrendous! Sounds like they live up to ones worst fears (mine anyway).
Am grateful to those who have shared.

« Reply #22 on: 04 December, 2011, 11:02:26 pm »
I've used Baxters before; for the Etape on 3 occasions, 1 early spring tour and the Nove Colli in 2007.
I had been told that they were "unpredictable" and their schedules are made up on the fly. All of the
above were just about acceptable, but the Nove Colli experience made up my mind not to use them again.

Bairn Again

« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2011, 01:24:52 pm »
I used Baxters in 2007 (1st P-B-P) but not in 2011 so can see it both ways. 

Using baxters allows you (in theory anyway) to not worry about the logistics and just concentrate on riding the bike + you get the added benefit of bag drops and access to the coaches.  However they charge top dollar and most folk reasonably expect a commensurate quality of experience in return.     

When I paid my deposit in ’07 I had also misunderstood that the bike would travel Euro bike Express style and wouldn’t have to be packed.  I also suffered mild panic when the blurb came out about “no bike boxes” but some older hands put me right (I already had a bike box but not a bike bag).  However the inconsistency isn’t ideal for obvious reasons.  In any situation its never good when those who do the decent thing (= bike bags) lose out.  The rush to pack my bike after the event, the prospect of a 24 hr coach journey home and the very average hotel convinced me to go independent for 2011.   

The original attraction of me travelling independently in 2011 was to not to have to dismantle my bike, but in the end the canny scot took over and I saved 60 EUR by taking my bike on eurostar in a bike box (with zero hassle).  I missed the bag drops less than I thought I would - they are far from essential.  Travelling by train was easy, about 7 hrs in total from Edinburgh with a break for lunch in London with friends and I wasnt under the cosh after the event to pack my bike in under an hour.     

If baxters could iron out the silly stuff re bike bags/boxes, pickups etc and take a rep who is a fluent French speaker who wont take any merde regarding the hotel facilities they wouldn't be too far off the mark. 

But its worrying that they appear to keep getting it wrong when getting it right doesnt seem that difficult.   

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 05 December, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
just read this thread and i am gobsmacked and shocked and feel for those who had bitter experience. if bagdrop is not essential, there's no better way than travelling independently - stay where you want, eat what you like, travel/sleep when you feel like.