Author Topic: Aluminium U channel as used on Camper Van bike racks  (Read 4512 times)

Aluminium U channel as used on Camper Van bike racks
« on: 30 August, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »
I need  about  2M of  this  stuff for - a  Cycle  rack - It's  an extrusion something  between a U and  V profile  with  a  slot  underneath for  fixing bolts. I'm looking  for a  friendly UK manufacturer to approach. Pendle  don't  use it. 

Re: Aluminium U channel as used on Camper Van bike racks
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »
I need  about  2M of  this  stuff for - a  Cycle  rack - It's  an extrusion something  between a U and  V profile  with  a  slot  underneath for  fixing bolts. I'm looking  for a  friendly UK manufacturer to approach. Pendle  don't  use it.
It'll be (relatively) expensive to tool up with a manufacturer such as Gooding if all you need is 2 metres.
Wholesalers such as Gooding sell their stock products usually in 4m or 5m lengths. Chances of them having exactly what you want are probably erring on the slim.
Your time might be better spent trawling the interwebs for someone who already produces something close or identical to what you need. There's a good chance it's already out there.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »
You could try these people: http://www.ramsayladders.co.uk/ Local to me, but not to you.  :-\
I know a pal of mine got something similar to what you're after made for him a few years ago.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2011, 07:11:45 pm »
I have used satin anodised aluminium I-section* to modify/enhance my existing cycle racks/roof bars to carry trikes & recumbents in addition to uprights.

*because it's used daily at work,it retains its resistance to oxidation,it's easy to cut & drill. FTW.
How much do you need.
Where are you located,approximatley?

ETA  I see 2 metres

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »
Jogler - the I section sounds promising - do you have some spare then? I'm in Durham but travel around a fair bit. It's for a Tricycle rack.
by the way when I said manufacturer up thread I was thinking of a bike-rack maker who already buys the extrusions in.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »
Yes I have some in stock.I'm near Uttoxeter.
PM me your address.I may be able to get some to you via parcel post or similar.I'll enquire & let you know.
I'll take some piccies  & post them on the forum soon

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2011, 07:58:55 pm »
Given that a picture paints a thousand words;here's a few thousand words

hth

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2011, 08:03:19 pm »
If you want some s.a.a. I-section as above Sleepy,let me know