Author Topic: Emitremmus  (Read 15368 times)

Re: Emitremmus
« Reply #50 on: 31 October, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »
Was surprised at just how lumpy this part of the country could be and expected it to be almost billiard table flat, but an enjoyable ride from me and worth the long drive to and from the start/finish.

This is a common misconception. The terrain is in fact formed from the far northeastern end of the same geology that forms the Chilterns. I know this only after riding a DIY earlier in the year that effectively incorporated an end-to-end of this geological feature from Maidenhead to Barkway, via St Albans. Gasp.

It catches a few people out on the LEL, the perception is that the Southern part is flat. The terrain is also a lot like parts of PBP.

« Reply #51 on: 31 October, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »

Yup, we saw you on the road (though for the life of me I can't remember where, Newport possibly).

Ah....that explains it. Having bolted the cafe early from the Chelmer Club Run to Clavering in a bid to save my legs from another thrashing, I found myself followed by a fair few riders with numbers on frames. At a T junction where I signalled right, there was a cry of "No, it's left! Left!". I waited to explain I wasn't on an event but failed to ask what was going on. There were riders coming from all directions around Newport and Debden. It crossed my mind that this was the Emitremmus but when I saw frame numbers - and a fair few full racing-type rather than audax-style bikes -  I assumed it was some sort of sportive. You live and learn.

« Reply #52 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »
Jim Brown (organiser) has dropped me a line. I don't think he's registered here, so I am assuming that he is intending me to pass on his information about numbers:

Just been looking at YACF.

Not logged in.  There are always 10% of people who don't show.  However the highest frame number (550) could be a bit misleading.  There were only 425 different numbers.

Bit of cross checking when we get our brains back but the 404 started, 391 finished was the total for the day i.e. both rides.  I've already spoken to Lyn at Therfield WI.  Wonderful people.

Glad you enjoyed it.

JIM

I never fail to be impressed by the organisation for a relatively large event - everything from the handing out of cards to the provision of several control tables and so on is done to cater for the unusual numbers. A big cheer for Jim and the team :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #53 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:41:28 pm »
Yeah, seconded. This along with the Start of Summertime are amongst my favourite rides.

« Reply #54 on: 31 October, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »
Atmosphere is really good at Stevenage. It certainly looked as if there were 500 or so given the state of the car park.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: 31 October, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »
try tagging that lot on facebook...

« Reply #56 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:15:05 pm »
Nice to see I didn't get caught in that photo running around yesterday morning.

The Lite version was only an experiment; first time we'd run the ride so we limited it to a fairly low number. The traditional ride, the 101km has been a traditional End of Summertime ride for Stevenage and North Herts CTC group for a big number of years.

It is a very challenging ride; I personally have not ridden the Emitremmus but it is close to the opposite direction of the 112km Start of Summertime ride. The 112km is a very challenging ride with a stiff spring breeze. The controls are always tiring with that number of people passing through. I know that after seeing 400 brevets twice yesterday I was dreaming about the brevet cards overnight last night.

As long as all of the control times match up etc. this is easily a record year for Emitremmus; largely helped by what was reasonably nice weather for the time of year.

The frame numbers were ordered as (I believe) 1-375 being the main bulk of frame numbers. The frame numbers in the 500s I believe were the late entries.

Anyone who is reading this and thinking of doing this ride or any other Stevenage BP/BR ride next year; please enter in advance; it's cheaper and helps us out a lot.

Time for us to start getting ready for the Stevenage Start of Summertimes now I think. :) Or maybe, we'll wait for Christmas to pass first.

« Reply #57 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:25:13 pm »
I had imagined with so many riders on the route I’d find someone going at the same speed as me and stick with them for a while, but somehow it didn’t work out that way because of all the hills. If I could keep up with someone on the downs, then I’d drop them on the ups, and if I could keep up with them on the ups, then they’d burn me off on the downs. Maybe I need to carry more stuff.

On my ride back to Cambridge I reversed part of the last stage, and so came across a few of the tail-enders. The very last last rider was a poor chap walking his bike up the steep bit between Kelshall and Sandon in the gathering gloom at 16:40, with a rainy 22 km still to go. I hope he made it (he had until 18:05, so not impossible).

That was probably me - my first Emit, my first Audax, and I wasn't really prepared for it. Whilst I am from the deepest chilterns (High Wycombe) I wasn't really prepared for hill after hill after hill ... I got back by about 5:45 with a time of 7 hrs 33 minutes! Thanks must go to the chap patrolling the rear - without him I wouldn't have found my way back to the park. I have got quite a few things to think about, my bike's not really built for that kind of ride, the saddle is crap, and I need to do more long distance, generally I do about 30 miles once a week.
However, on the positive side, I lost about 2.5 kg (!) but I was back at work first hting Monday morning and I caught myself looking through the Audax event list ... Thanks must go to all who organise Emit !!!

« Reply #58 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
That chap patrolling at the rear was really good company, a very knowledgeable person and a good sort,  my thanks to him (and his Mrs who was marshalling).  Ps. Tip for audax events don't go the wrong way! Just cos they all look as if they know where they are going, doesn't make it so. Klaus you did amazingly well on your (substantial) touring bike and I know you got a certificate to prove your finish to your colleagues.  The return route did take you through the highest point in Hertfordshire!

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 31 October, 2011, 09:59:45 pm »
Atmosphere is really good at Stevenage. It certainly looked as if there were 500 or so given the state of the car park.

That's Bic Nic Ketley front L; hopefully coming to a Flatlander Grimpeur near you soon  :)

« Reply #60 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »
That was probably me - my first Emit, my first Audax, and I wasn't really prepared for it. Whilst I am from the deepest chilterns (High Wycombe) I wasn't really prepared for hill after hill after hill ... I got back by about 5:45 with a time of 7 hrs 33 minutes!

Well done! It was a tough route with lots of hills and a strong headwind on the last leg. It's the riders at the back, pushing the time limits, who are the most audacious: unless the outcome is in doubt, it's not really an adventure.

The return route did take you through the highest point in Hertfordshire!

The Emitremmus route passes within 100 m of the highest point in Cambridgeshire (just outside Great Chishill), and within a couple of miles of the highest point in Essex (Chrishall Common), but the highest point in Hertfordshire is Pavis Wood, near Tring.

Hmmm... add the highest point in Bedfordshire (near Dunstable) and that would make a nice ride... (Edit: looks like someone already had this idea...)

That's me sitting down, in blue and black, about a third of the way from the left and half-way up.

« Reply #61 on: 31 October, 2011, 10:24:31 pm »
I stand corrected! Did see you arrive Gareth but didn't have a chance to say hello!

« Reply #62 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:53:58 pm »
A big cheer for Jim and the team :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1. The SSoSS and Emitremmus are superbly organised. Many thanks to Jim, and to all the helpers and the lovely WI ladies.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #63 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
Spring must be coming,  just got my brev card back together with invite to start of summertime Yeh! Record number of 337 finishers apparently

« Reply #64 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:25:59 am »
Still not got my brevet card back.  Could be delivered by postie today I suppose