Author Topic: Mail for mac and attachments  (Read 932 times)

Mail for mac and attachments
« on: 11 October, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
Is there a way of attaching documents to Mail for Mac emails (I'm thinking specifically jpg's and pdf's) and NOT have the entire document visible in the email?

Ie: so it's just an icon tagged on to the end of the email (or wherever you drop it in) as it would be were you attaching a Word document.

TIA.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Mail for mac and attachments
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:02:58 am »
I think this is just a quirk of Mail sending. Some docs get this treatment, others don't. It's one of life's great mysteries to me!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
I think this is just a quirk of Mail sending. Some docs get this treatment, others don't. It's one of life's great mysteries to me!

Gah!
And I had you down as the one who'd have the answer!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:12:15 am »
Zipping them up is the only way I've found to avoid it

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:21:08 am »
There's an easy way to do this -  select the item and right-click and either "View as icon"(to show it as just an icon) or "View in place" (the whole thing). Works on jpgs and pdfs at least.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:25:07 am »
You can install the Secrets preferences pane which has a setting to always show attachments inline.

http://secrets.blacktree.com/

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »
There's an easy way to do this -  select the item and right-click and either "View as icon"(to show it as just an icon) or "View in place" (the whole thing). Works on jpgs and pdfs at least.

Ooooohhhhh! I think that's the one Rhys! Lovely. Thanks Muchly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »
Yes, that's useful! Thanks  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2011, 01:16:17 pm »
Yes, I found this out a few months ago, when I attached 2 pdfs - the first was an icon but the second was viewed in place. No idea why, but I guessed it was a right-click to unearth some properties menu on that particular file and get the other to display as an icon as well.

I can't find any option in Preferences to set it to default one way or the other, so maybe it's a property of the document itself (in Get Info maybe?)

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »
Thing is....  and I've tested this just now....

While it leaves here, with a row of icons (just how I'd like it to), when it arrives at the recipient's PC, all of the image files are in line. ie; in the text field of the email - exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

An observation, Rhys, not a criticism  :)

More exploration required, methinks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2011, 08:58:34 pm »
That's a problem with the mail program at the other end - I take no responsibility!

Maybe there's a setting regarding how the recipient views email attachments... but try checking/unchecking the "Send Windows-friendly attachments" box to see if it makes a difference.