Author Topic: PBP 2019 - Are you doing it?  (Read 2865 times)

PBP 2019 - Are you doing it?
« on: 23 October, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »
Sorry, couldn't resist  :P
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: PBP 2019 - Are you doing it?
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »
I've already given up caffeine  :P

Edit: can you recommend a hi vis vest  ;D
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »
I've already given up caffeine  :P

I believe you'll be able to buy one at the time of entry :-)
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:55:50 pm »
It's interesting to speculate on the likely trends. By then there could be only 1,200 French participants with an average age of 65. US participation could be about 200, again with an elevated age profile. I think UK participation will be a lot higher after Geraint Thomas wins the Tour, setting off a wave of interest in racing which has an Audax echo culminating in PBP 2019, much as happened with Germany after Ullrich and Denmark after Riis. The decline in participation from the traditional nations will be offset by a wave of interest from Asia, Russia and South America with a younger age profile. There will be a twin track PBP with a load of old white geezers and a rainbow wave of younger riders.
The real unknown is whether there will be enough volunteers to run the event, given the age of those on this year's.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2011, 06:53:37 pm »
The real unknown is whether there will be enough volunteers to run the  almost any form of endurance event, given the age of those on this year's.
This is alas an issue also facing other sports, such as fell running, mountain marathons, long distance walking and so on. Back in the day, people got old and stopped taking part and became helpers. Nowadays fewer youngsters seem to be interested in being cold, wet, muddy and exhausted for hours and hours so there are fewer coming in at the younger ages while at the older ages many more are simply not stopping and continuing to take part for many more years than previous generations did. More power to their elbows, I say. But meanwhile the helpers are getting quite old.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2011, 06:55:47 pm »
It's interesting to speculate on the likely trends. By then there could be only 1,200 French participants with an average age of 65. US participation could be about 200, again with an elevated age profile. I think UK participation will be a lot higher after Geraint Thomas wins the Tour, setting off a wave of interest in racing which has an Audax echo culminating in PBP 2019, much as happened with Germany after Ullrich and Denmark after Riis. The decline in participation from the traditional nations will be offset by a wave of interest from Asia, Russia and South America with a younger age profile. There will be a twin track PBP with a load of old white geezers and a rainbow wave of younger riders.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2011, 08:43:39 pm »

IanH is selling them on his website. At only £5 plus postage it might be a better bet than waiting to see what the sterling v. french franc rate is in 2019.

You will probably also have time to exchange it if the official ones are Italian sizes you order the wrong size.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »
Russia has enormous potential. Some of the old countries like Belgium and the Netherlands remain fairly stable.
I'll certainly be in for a 7th run. I'm planning to ride at least 10 PBP's (and probably finishing 6- or 7, 3 out of 5 at the moment).