Linked Events

• Not quite not the diamond jubilee campong weekend: 18 May, 2012 - 20 May, 2012

Author Topic: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend  (Read 33687 times)

Re: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend
« Reply #125 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
Can I register an interest, please?
If I can make it then TD and my no. 2 son in law are also possibles.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #126 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:49:43 am »
Indeed nobby:  The more the merrier.    :)

Can I ask you to please email me at polarbearatyacf@gmail.com.   Title your email camping then your YACF name, i.e.  camping a warwickshire lad. and tell me in the email numbers, and other pertinent details such as tent / caravan / campervan, etc.

I'll be emailing out at the end of the week.

« Reply #127 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:54:00 am »
Although this weekend does not coincide with the Long Itchington Beer Festival, said festival is not your traditional one in one venue. There are six decent pubs (some truly excellent) in a small village & they all throw their doors open for the weekend to all comers. Naturally, the range of beers is wider than usual, but the place is really a hive of activity - rather too busy at times.

All six pubs will be open our weekend, of course, and each of them offers good beers at all times, so it's quite easy to have a good session at any time in Long Itchington. The Green Man itself offers very good beer, but the whole ensemble of pubs is within a kilometre of the GM. You will not go thirsty :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #128 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
I'll be there  ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #129 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:44:10 pm »
AWL,

You up for a recce sometime next week?   We need to check the showering situation as well as ensuring that the beer is up to scratch...    ;)

« Reply #130 on: 24 April, 2012, 09:26:48 am »
I'm long overdue some time off, so can we aim for Friday next week just before the BHol?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #131 on: 24 April, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »
Should anyone need guidance to the site from Leamington Spa station, I will gladly meet you there and take you to Long Itchington.

Chiltern Railways stop there and their fares are generally cheaper than Virgin's to Brum. I think their bike policy is a little more flexible too.

I'll be working on the morning of the Friday, but will aim to leave Leamington at about 2pm.

For those of you not able to meet up, the route is very easy. Here is Leamington Spa Station and you need to head up the Tachbrook Road towards the canal. After about 100m, maybe less, on the right side of the road, you will see the ramp down to the canal here. Go down the ramp and double back on yourself at the bottom to head towards Long Itchington. If you find yourself going past a LIDL supermarket after about a mile, turn back, you've gone the wrong way!

After a few miles on the towpath - usually easily rideable, but don't quote me on that, you'll come to the Two Boats pub in Long Itchington here. Although I think it's been painted white now. To get to the Green Man, go up the Two Boat's driveway to the main road and turn right down the hill. Take the second left, then the first left - ignoring the little residential road - into Church Road. Go past the church on your left and you should be able to see the Green Man. Map here.

There is an alternative route, getting off the canal at Offchurch. It takes you straight to the Green Man - map here. There is quite an uphill right at the start, and you have to cross the Fosse Way, but once past those obstacles, there is a lovely downhill section to the outskirts of the village. There is often bunting outside the Green Man, so look out for it, otherwise it will become apparent anyway!

There is a coop opposite the church, more or less, with a free-to-use cashpoint and a decent range of food & stuff.

Should anyone have bike problems along the way, there are two shops within five minutes walk of Leamington Station: Broadribbs and John Atkins.

Southam Leisure Centre - for the showers - is just over 3 miles away by minor roads. 2.5 by the main road.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #132 on: 24 April, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
Chiltern Railways stop there and their fares are generally cheaper than Virgin's to Brum. I think their bike policy is a little more flexible too.

IIRC no need for reservations (or pirate carriage keys), but restrictions on peak-hour trains out of London.  May be an issue if you're planning to travel on Friday evening.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Given your approach to lightweight camping, I don't see what's stopping you turning up with camping kit *and* a suit / posh frock.   :P
Yebbut it's one of those events to demonstrate that an interest in trains can be maintained without a trans-normal approach to personal hygiene.  So if I've been under canvas for two days, and then cycled from Leamington to Loughborough, I'll be letting the side down.
Why not - let's do it.  Email will be sent in the next 5 mins.
How best-laid plans etc change in 2 months.

Sorry everyone, but I'm now 100% certain that I can't attend.  Distance, other cycling commitments (including piloting a Visually-impaired stoker - which should be a fortnightly appointment, but I've had to duck out of 3 consecutive such trips) and work-related loss-of-weekend syndrome (WRLOWS) (TM) have all conspired to keep me away.

Look, I'm ever so sorry for letting you all down like this.  It may be about to become a habit. :'(
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #134 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »
Having been up some of them there rolling hills with Kim of this parish should I be bringing tourer or something a bit lighter given use of said vehicule?

« Reply #135 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:01:21 pm »
Only you know the answer to that.  Given that the rides will progress at Team Slow pace I doubt that it really matters.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I would generally recommend low gears over lightweight when hauling kit or riding at Team Slow pace, but your cycling style may vary...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
It's looking like we might not be able to attend due to work but will keep you updated x
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

LindaG

I may now be a 'possible' for this, depending on certain domestic factors.

Is there still space?  Or am I too late?

also a possible, depending on getting a job, the weather and wifely enthusiasm.

it's only 90 miles from here, what could possibly go wrong? :)

Roll up! Roll up!

Plenty of space... :)

Er..... why does the pub lock up the loos at night given there is a campsite behind the pub? ???

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Er..... why does the pub lock up the loos at night given there is a campsite behind the pub? ???
Is it one of those "Do Your Best; Birmingham Needs The Water" moments?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Wait, what?  That seems deeply suboptimal...

I'll check but where did you get that gem from Canardly?

Ah, I see.  On their website.   I'll give them a call sometime soon.   Seems a bit of bad form really.

I am not worried about it just seemed a tad strange is all. Incidentally looking forward to this. Must get some of those lightweight chairs on offer at go outdoors this week end.

Is there anybody planning to come who might find having the toiled locked through the small hours a problem?   I know that I'm going to have to limit the beer intake if I don't want to pee over the tent next door...   ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Is there anybody planning to come who might find having the toiled locked through the small hours a problem?

Yes.  :-[

OK.  I'll see what can be done, if anything.

The drastic alternative is to relocate to Manton Road Farm campsite which is only just outside of the village and does have toilets and showers.   I need to speak with AWL and get his POV before we consider changing anything though.