Author Topic: The Not the ToEL  (Read 3582 times)

The Not the ToEL
« on: 30 December, 2011, 09:59:37 pm »
As the Tour of East Lothian is not to take place in 2012 and I had managed to raise some enthusiasm from first-timers last year and on the way to doing so this time round I post this for the benefit of those Lothians and Borders CTC members who do not subscribe to the Yahoo group.

I propose to conduct a CTC ride over the Tour course and the only free date near the traditional time is the 10th of March (to avoid clashing with the Dave Harris).  I hope to sort out a watering hole in Dunbar depending on numbers.

As I need to assess interest can you please let me know if you might be interested.  This will not be an Audax but will be run in the spirit of one, ie progress will be maintained.

jimbhoy

Re: The Not the ToEL
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:05:45 pm »
My first Audax was the ToEL, it was not an enjoyable experience  :facepalm: however i went back for more this year, still didn't enjoy it.....but put my name down anyway  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:15:05 pm »
If people are poutling round on that day I'll probably tag along.

Tinez

• a Surly man
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2012, 11:22:24 pm »
I'm interested.

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2012, 06:48:48 pm »
My apologies on this - the intention is to run on the Sunday which is the 11th - I'm sure someone said Sunday was the 10th but perhap it's just me enjoying the "benefits" of old fartdom.

Anyway - it will be SUNDAY the 11th of March.

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »
As previously intimated I intend to organise a club run for the CTC on Sunday the 11th of March over the route traditionally used by the Musselburgh Club's Tour of East Lothian (which this year only is not taking place).  It has been decided this one-off run will be titled the Audrey Fyfe Memorial Run as Audrey was heavily involved in the inaugural event over this route.

The run will be of 100k departing Musselburgh Town Hall at 10am and going via Carberry to East Saltoun, Gifford, Redstone Rig thence Garvald to Dunbar with the return going via Haddington over to Longniddry then along the coast to return to the start point.

The speed will not really be greater than a normal club run but the idea will be to do it in the spirit of an Audax which means "maintaining progress", preferably in disciplined supportive bunches - especially along the coastal return.  Those wishing for a re-enactment of the racing warm up the faster groups use the Tour as may be disappointed.

I appreciate that some may want to take part to honour Audrey's memory but not wish to enjoy the gentle rolling hills involved in going via Redstone and Garvald so there will be a low level route to Dunbar with the return following the main route. This should be approximately 40 to 50 miles.

I am trying to organise a lunch stop at Dunbar and will post info on this later.  Because of this I want to know numbers in advance so, if you have not already done so, please let me know of your interest on vtt@ctclothians.org.uk .

Rimnod

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »
I'm in.  Thanks for the opportunity

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »
I'm in and will try and gather a couple more riders. This was my first Audax and I still recall not enjoying it, but was looking fwd to seeing how much I'd enjoy it with a years cycling under my wheels. I'm especially looking fwd to riding in memory of Audery.

I emailed a chap reporting to be an organiser about the lack of a cafe in Dunbar as apparently the one used last year has closed? I suggested a community hall on the outskirts but never heard back. I suppose the new Supermarket may be an alternative?

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Dave_C

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »
Hi
I'd like to join you o the 11th March please, for the Audrey Fyfe memorial ride. I can suggest this place for a stopping / easting place though we would have to organise the catering ourselves.
Organisation Name: West Barns Village Hall
Meeting place: Edinburgh Rd
West Barnes
EH42 1UH (View Map)
Main Contact: Teresa Martin
Telephone: 01368 865515 
Charges:Small hall: £7.50 per hour. Large hall: £10.50 per hour or £50 per night.
Capacity:80-100 people
Equipment:kitchen appliances
Wheelchair Access:Yes
Disabled Facilities:Toilet
Date Last Updated:1st April 2009

Kind regards

Dave Crampton

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:14:45 pm »
Thanks Dave, we'll try and avoid the need for a "per night" charge ;D

Tinez

• a Surly man
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2012, 10:49:36 am »
who's planning on riding NtToEL this weekend then?

Rimnod

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:53:01 pm »
Me, on the Tricross.

;D

« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:30:19 pm »
All those who expressed an interest have been contacted individually with details.  The deadline for ordering lunch is now past so you'll have to carry your own o'er the hill if you just turn up.

Details at sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Edinburgh_CTC_Riding_Group/message/1837
 or sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Edinburgh_CTC_Riding_Group/message/1837  whichever one works.

I seem to be having computer problems so don't rely on e-mails getting to me.

Peter

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
who's planning on riding NtToEL this weekend then?

I'd forgotten this was on.  The lack of miles in my legs could persuade me to use it as a wee training run for the Easter Arrow.  I'm not doing anything else and I'm rid of my cold.

Dave_C

« Reply #14 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »
Many thanks to Peter and others for organising this. I ended up cycling with a friend who wasn't the fastest and we were tail end charlie nearly the whole way. Still I really enjoyed the ride a lot more than last year, and the weather was nice (until we left Dunbar into that head wind). It was so nice meeting so many nice people on the ride.

Cheers,

Dave C