Author Topic: My birthday in Brighton  (Read 1576 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
My birthday in Brighton
« on: 19 January, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »
Hello peeps!  It's me birthday at the end of February and it sees me edging ever closer to 50, physically if not mentally  ;D

The Current Mrs R and I have booked ourselves into an award winning B&B in Brighton and now need things to do.  So, what do you know?  We'd like camp, fun, funky, original and fun (did I mention that already?).

Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Love un stuff

xxx

Re: My birthday in Brighton
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:47:51 am »
My better half works for the tourist board so I shall ask her for suggestions later. Out of interest (and if you don't mind saying) which B&B did you go for?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
My better half works for the tourist board so I shall ask her for suggestions later. Out of interest (and if you don't mind saying) which B&B did you go for?

We're staying HERE.  We've stayed there before after the August 2007 FNRttC, they kindly accommodated Tina the Tandem in their store room.

Any info your better half (I'm sure that's not true and you're both equally lovely) can contribute will be very welcome.  Thanks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:37:30 pm »
I believe there are quite a few clubs and bars filled with friendly men.  Also, being February, you might want to check out the naturist area of the beach.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2012, 11:29:43 am »
I've have asked and we have a few ideas we're collating. Will do a proper post in a day or so.

Are you looking for daytime or evening stuff or both?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2012, 11:34:46 am »
Both. And thank you very much for your efforts!

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2012, 03:57:02 pm »
We'd like camp, fun, funky, original and fun

The Basement is exactly what you described.  However their season doesn't get going until March 1st.  Maybe it will be of use to someone else looking for camp, fun, funky, original and fun stuff.

If you want to see a Vietnamese female poet, juggling shaved Lemurs, then it's more likely to happen at The Basement than anywhere else.

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2012, 10:05:29 am »
Hello peeps!  It's me birthday at the end of February and it sees me edging ever closer to 50, physically if not mentally  ;D

The Current Mrs R and I have booked ourselves into an award winning B&B in Brighton and now need things to do.  So, what do you know?  We'd like camp, fun, funky, original and fun (did I mention that already?).

Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Love un stuff

xxx
I studied at Sussex uni for three years. From the original and fun I can recommend Komedia, the best comedy club I've ever been too. Also, food-wise you have to have dinner at Al Nakhl (West Street) and Day's (North Lanes). If you want something low key and naturey, you have to check out Stanmer park (Moulsecoumb, just outside of Brighton). Say hi to B-town from me!

« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2012, 01:09:52 pm »
Shame you are going to be there too early for the sewer tour season I think. That's what I want to do - I think I'm going to have to make a special trip! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »
Right, I did try to post this yesterday but my internet was being a bit of a pissweasel, hopefully it works this time.

Quote from: My better half
  • Visit the Duke of York's Picturehouse shows a mixture of arthouse, foreign language & cult films complete with big comfy seats (inc some sofas) and the bar sells homemade cake and the auditorium is licensed so you can take wine / beer in to the screening.
  • For a saucy memento of your trip visit the naughty alleyway of The Lanes – Ship Street Gardens. Here you will find Brighton Bodycasting a studio run by a local artist where you can have any part of your body cast (yes literally any part of the body). Opposite Brighton Bodycasting you will find She Said erotic boutique ;)
  • Mechanical Memories Museum – on the beachfront near Brighton Pier, there are a variety of old-fashioned penny arcade machines including palm reading, puppet machines and what the butler saw. For more modern arcade games visit Brighton Pier and make sure you have a go at the Dolphin Derby.
  • For afternoon tea with a difference head into Kemp Town to visit Metrodeco an 1930s style Parisian tea room but being in Kemp Town it also has a camp twist. They also sell huge slabs of homemade cake and some of the teas have been specially blended just for Metrodeco.
  • Shopping in the North Laine – definitely recommend visiting Snoopers Paradise a giant indoor flea market selling anything & everything from odd knick knacks to vintage fashion and even the occasional He-Man toy. There is also a local photographers gallery upstairs.
  • If you fancy an insiders guide to the city you can book a Greet, this is a free service and all the Greeters are local residents who like to show off what they love about the city. You can find out more here: http://www.visitbrighton.com/greeters/what-is-a-greeter-scheme but if you don't want to book ahead then there are 'drop-in' style instagreets most Saturdays.
  • Not necessarily quirky but talking about food I would definitely recommend FARM café as the name suggests all the food is supplied by the owners farms in Sussex, proper good quality rustic food, mine favourite is the roast pork sandwich.
  • Nightlife – Komedia is your best bet as every weekend they have the comedy club (3 stand-ups and an mc) plus they also have a range of quirky club nights including Ultimate Power (power ballads); Spellbound (alternative 80s) & ipop (pop & party anthems)
  • Let me / Ashaman42 know if you need any more ideas and now for the bit that pays the bills… If you need any other tips on things to do, places to eat etc then check our website www.visitbrighton.com and if you Love Brighton then join us on Twitter (@Love_Brighton) and Facebook and share your Brighton photos in our Flickr group. Plus if you have an iPhone you can download the VisitBrighton app.

Hope some of this is of use to you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:33:07 pm »
Thanks for this will have a proper look over the next few days but have already booked the Metrodeco for afternoon tea ;D

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:48:02 pm »
 :) Stay away from the lanes, high spendy wallet risk zone.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »
A big thank you to Ashaman42's better half for some fantastic suggestions!  It looks like we're going to have a brilliant trip!

« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2012, 06:15:54 am »
Ah glad they are a help, I will pass on your thanks. Sure she'll be pleased. Oh, and happy birthday if I haven't said so already.