Author Topic: Witham 200k DIY by GPS (inc. SEG 75 route) - 24th March  (Read 9429 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Witham 200k DIY by GPS (inc. SEG 75 route) - 24th March
« on: 08 March, 2012, 10:17:46 am »
This thread is created to let you know about the existance of a 200k DIY by GPS I am going to do, currently with a small number of other members of the parish.  If there is interest in joining this ride either as a 200k AUK DIY ride or just for the hell of it you will be welcome to tag along.
The route will be something like this, although there may be a few tweeks before the 24th; a GPX/TCX can be downloaded from bikeroutetoaster if you so wish.  I suggest a departure time of 8am from Witham to make the most of the available daylight, although I expect the full day to last approximately 12 hours so lights will be required.  Refreshment stops for lunch etc are still to be determined, so I'm open to suggestions, although Great Bardfield, Finchingfield and Thaxted all present suitable options.
The route is shown to start & finish at a private house but a suitable rendevous location can be designated somewhere along Witham Newland Street or maybe the sports centre where there is plenty of free parking.

I have entered a DIY by GPS form to Martin Malins - he has agreed the route to be acceptable.

The CTC SEG 75 route is included in this day out as I and one or two others have unfinished business with that route due to the inclement weather on the day, hence the somewhat unusual nature of the route for this event.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Witham 200k DIY by GPS (inc. SEG 75 route) - 24th March
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:13:25 pm »
Afternoon

Put me down as 'interested'. I need to check in with HQ first to get the all clear.

Also I don't have GPS so does anyone know how I can verify the ride to claim a DIY. Can I use Huggy's file or is that cheating?

Cheers

Chris

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
Can we use the Blackwater Railtrail to get from Witham to Maldon?   ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »
Afternoon

Put me down as 'interested'. I need to check in with HQ first to get the all clear.

Also I don't have GPS so does anyone know how I can verify the ride to claim a DIY. Can I use Huggy's file or is that cheating?

Cheers

Chris

Chris,
We're passing through enough villages to gather conventional proof of passage for the usual AUK DIY method, that may be an option.  When I 'm at home I'll email my DIY by GPS entry form to you so you can see the virtual control points   ::-)
You'd need to ask Martin if you would be allowed to piggyback on one of our GPS tracks  :-\

Edit: I have a couple of spare DIY brevet cards if you need one in a hurry.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:32:34 pm »

No!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

No!

I don't know what your problem is.  You won't be required to dress up as an elf.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:50:33 pm »

No!

I don't know what your problem is.  You won't be required to dress up as an elf.
Elf costume I could handle, 23mm tyres clogged with mud for the next 195km I might have issue with!
Although you may have stumbled across a new AUK award - Fancy Dress Randonneur  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:53:01 pm »

No!

Elf costume I could handle, 23mm tyres clogged with mud for the next 195km I might have issue with!
Although you may have stumbled across a new AUK award - Fancy Dress Randonneur  ::-)

That's as brilliant as our sex shop audax idea (don't know whether you were there for that discussion)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2012, 07:54:06 am »
Afternoon

Cheers

Chris

Chris,
We're passing through enough villages to gather conventional proof of passage for the usual AUK DIY method, that may be an option.  When I 'm at home I'll email my DIY by GPS entry form to you so you can see the virtual control points   ::-)
You'd need to ask Martin if you would be allowed to piggyback on one of our GPS tracks  :-\

Edit: I have a couple of spare DIY brevet cards if you need one in a hurry.

Chris,
I just had another thought.....OD is riding but is not intending to claim the AUK points so you could 'borrow' his GPS and submit his GPX track for the DIY by GPS entry  :smug:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:00:05 am »
^^^  That would be fine.  But you'll be relying on my IT skills which might not be fine.  Bear in mind I'm the muppet that struggles with bacon butties so extracting a gpx track off my Garmin and working out how to send it to you could be a bit hit and miss.  I'm happy to try if you're willing to take the risk of it not working!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »
Some good news to report is that Martin has validated my 100k DIY by GPS ride I did last Friday, so I must have done something right in the process of submitting entry form and subsequently the GPX track  :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2012, 06:32:42 am »
Well done that man  :thumbsup:

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2012, 07:40:47 am »
I am going to try to get permission from HQ for, but it's 50:50 at the momment
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:25:11 am »
Tell her its a cultural experience rich in the mysticisms of the east (curry from India then a scenic tour of East Anglia) and that you'll come back transformed and full of wisdom (don't tell her you'll be knackered and good for nothing and the only thing you've learned is audaxing is a bloody stupid idea)  ;D

NB: this ploy has never worked for me but might work for you, it's worth a try  :thumbsup:

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #15 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:29:36 am »
She is way behind on her studies for her ceramics and pottery exam, A phone call to Grandma maybe inorder.
  (don't tell her you'll be knackered and good for nothing and the only thing you've learned is audaxing is a bloody stupid idea)

She knows that already!!!!!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:39:26 am »
She is way behind on her studies for her ceramics and pottery exam, A phone call to Grandma maybe inorder.
  (don't tell her you'll be knackered and good for nothing and the only thing you've learned is audaxing is a bloody stupid idea)

She knows that already!!!!!

In that case you're buggered!

On a personal front, I have been giving my Ribble it's annual clean and lube.  I experienced some front hub problems late last year so took the thing apart.  On reassembly the problem is worse so the wheel is off for some professional TLC.  The rear one might as well get the same attention.  Hopefully the bike will be back together for this jaunt. If not another member of the stable will be pressed into service.

« Reply #17 on: 15 March, 2012, 12:04:40 pm »
I'm 50:50 as well at the moment although  have a bit of bargaining power up my sleeve. She who must be obeyed wants me to forgo the Witham audax at the end of April as it's quite near her 40th birthday and she wants to go away for a weekend! Bloody inconsiderate of her but would probably get me the green light for next week instead.

Further to our previous discussion re validaitng the ride, I'm not that bothered really (just looks good on your Audax UK ride list!) so probably will just be coming along for the ride.

Hoping to be on the fixed but need to get on with putting it back together first and giving the new wheels a ride out to see if I've built them correctly!

Will have the conversation this evening.....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #18 on: 16 March, 2012, 09:44:43 pm »
Chaps,
If anyone else intending to ride this as a DIY by GPS 200k and needs the salient points to complete the entry form (to be submitted anytime up until the start time) then here are the details I've used on my entry form:

Ride date             24/03/2012
Points Distance    200
Start                    Witham (TL 82095 14472)
Total Distance      200 kms

Location                   OS Grid Ref          Distance (kms)
1   Maldon                   TL 85067 07031    10.4
2   East Hanningfield   TL 77009 01316    21.7
3   Wickford                 TQ 74629 93494   32.4
4   Writtle                    TL 67537 05870    52.9
5   Felsted                   TL 67704 20286    73.6
6   Finchingfield            TL 68458 32836    90.7
7   Thaxted                  TL 61228 30893    100.6
8   Great Dunmow       TL 62841 21805    119.3
9   High Easter            TL 62060 14734    136.2
10   Mill Green             TL 63900 01076    155.3
11   Wickford               TQ 74629 93494   171.8
12   Witham                 TL 82095 14472   200.5

I'm sure Martin is okay with these checkpoints as long as the GPX track shows greater than 200km; I expect the ridden route to be approximately 205km so we should be well in credit by the time we return to Witham.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #19 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:22:17 pm »
Some questions ...

What time are we starting?

Does anyone from out of area want parking?  I'm sure between us Huggy and I can organise parking near our respective houses.

Providing there aren't millions of us I should be pleased to provide bacon butties (*) prior to the off so we could start at my house if we want.  An idea of numbers would be handy.

(*) I think I can manage this without setting fire to anything.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #20 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »
What time are we starting?
As we will be finishing in the dark whatever time we start, how about an 8am meet for 8:30ish departure?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »
That works for me.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »
There will be an opportunity to visit the Market Cafe in Wickford at the official start of the SEG 75 route, we'll probably be in the vincinty about 10am after 34km.

There are lunch stop opportunities at Finchingfield, Thaxted or Great Bardfield; all at or soon after the 100km mark.
So I won't be planning to carry a huge amount of food with me.

Further refueling stops will be available along the route when passing through Great Dunmow and Felsted is revisited, and of course Wickford will be visited again at the end of the SEG 75 route.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #23 on: 17 March, 2012, 07:17:20 pm »
All this is good news. I am planning on eating lots!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #24 on: 17 March, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »
As much as I can sanity check the route on bikeroutetoaster it is here, where you can download the GPX & TCX tracks and the cue sheet.