Author Topic: Thetford Forest (April) Fools camping weekend  (Read 10900 times)

Thetford Forest (April) Fools camping weekend
« on: 19 March, 2012, 09:40:48 pm »
From this thread, it's come about that there should be a weekend of drinking, camping and being silly serious training for our team effort in the Dusk till Dawn this coming October.
So it only seems right that we should make a proper camping weekend of it.
Obviously, we'll be doing the off road stuff in Thetford Forest. It's just for fun, so anyone is welcome. There are Sustrans and road options too, but someone else can plan those if they are wanted.
No campsite decided on as yet. Suggestions from those in the know are welcome.
Oh, and the date is Sat March 31st and Sun 1st April. (No, it's not a joke)

Chris S

Re: Thetford Forest (April) Fools camping weekend
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »
As fboab has already alluded to - we are uncommitted that weekend, so could well be involved in some way. Note that it hasn't rained properly yet this year, hereabouts - and most off-road routes in The Brecks are like sand dunes!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »
Makes sense.  I haven't wished I had a mountain bike since... oh, almost a month ago.   ;D

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »
I haven't riden there for a couple of years.  :(

I could probably be up for a ride on one of the days.  :D

Most of the trails are just South of Brandon.

The campsite at the Ram Hotel looks cheap & basic. I haven't stayed there, but I used to drink in the pub when I used to ride the trails regularly - it used to be a friendly place.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
Does this ere rough stuff mean I need one of those er mountain bike thingys?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:26:21 am »
Definitely up for it. If not camping - definitely one of the two days. I need to sort my camping kit out. And try and find a way of getting it on my mtb. Will get train assistance. Not riding 100 mile round trip on 2.35" knobblies!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:59:16 am »
tempting... if you want to ride there on a regular bike then not worry about damaging your Precious on the trails, there's a hire place which is fairly reasonable.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:06:13 am »
The campsite at the Ram Hotel looks cheap & basic. I haven't stayed there, but I used to drink in the pub when I used to ride the trails regularly - it used to be a friendly place.

Right next to Convenient for the railway too :). It's always looked (and sounded) pretty rowdy to me when I've driven past. But Brandon is a pretty rufty tufty place. You'll need an off-road bike; given the state of the main road surface.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »
There is actually a campsite in Thetford Forrest. We camped there year before last.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:11:18 pm »
There is actually a campsite in Thetford Forrest. We camped there year before last.

I think all the campsites in the woods are a couple of miles on the opposite side of town from the MTB trails - The biker's woods are actually at Brandon.

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:59:46 pm »
Does this ere rough stuff mean I need one of those er mountain bike thingys?

Not really. Especially if other join in who are up for some road riding and we end up with more than one ride going on. There's still the camping and eating etc to be done.

I think all the campsites in the woods are a couple of miles on the opposite side of town from the MTB trails - The biker's woods are actually at Brandon.

Sounds good to me.

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
Just checked on google maps - the 'Thetford woodland' campsites are about 14 miles from where most people meet to ride the trails at Brandon Country park.

I've been invited to ride over there this weekend with the Retrobike crew. If I get the chance I'll try to check out the campsite at the Ram.

« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2012, 03:07:55 pm »
Did you look at the camp site WJ?
Just ordered some new bearings from Wiggle, plus a posh map for my Garmin so I can see where I've been when I get myself lost.

Anyone else coming?

NSTN?
You don't have to go off road. A few, or even a lot of you could do a road ride and we could all meet up at eateries and/or campsites.

« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »
I had an apres ride pint and a quick look at the campsite. There were a few caravans on a football pitch-ish sized    4 1/2 acre field well behind the pub. I had a word with the landlord - he said to give him a ring on 01842 810275.

There has been some recent  forestry work on the trails we rode and I had difficulty getting my bearings.

I have to take Mrs WJ to work next Sat, so won't be able to get to Brandon until 10am.

Bobb - if Ely is an easier station than Brandon, I can give you a lift out there - Bike should fit in the back of the car with the front wheel out.

« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
Looks like I will have to visit the ancient ones and will not be able to make this.I am pushing my luck with the cycling permissions department at bit atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »
Bobb - if Ely is an easier station than Brandon, I can give you a lift out there - Bike should fit in the back of the car with the front wheel out.

When I looked at trains before, I think Brandon is easiest for me.

*Checks trains*

« Reply #16 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »
'kin hell! Nothing is easy! I have to change about a million times no matter what... I'll have a better look in the morning when I'm a little less tired...

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »
'kin hell! Nothing is easy! I have to change about a million times no matter what... I'll have a better look in the morning when I'm a little less tired...

Colchester to Diss, then ride to Thetford area?

It's about 17 miles from Diss. Trains every 30mins during the week. Time it right, and I'll make you a cuppa and might even be able to keep you company from Diss to Thetford/Brandon.

« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:19:19 am »
It would seem there are a hundred and one ways I can get there by train - going from either direction out of Chelmsford - but most involve sodding buses this weekend! Well - the cheap ones do.

I think the buses are between Ipswich and Stowmarket. I guess I could ride that bit. I have put a bike on replacement bus services before, but it needs to be the right type of bus, so that's another option...

« Reply #19 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:38:41 am »
Right - I can do it for 23 quid!

Chelmsford - Liverpool St - Cambridge - Brandon at 06:21 (gulp!) Saturday morning. Arrives 09:42.

Brandon - Cambridge - Liverpool St - Chelmsford at 16:44

I think I shall go ahead and book that. I then need to think about the camping side of things.

I assume the London - Cambridge - Brandon train section is going to be ok taking bike wise? I used to live in Cambridge but I don't remember ever taking a bike to London on the train...

« Reply #20 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »
Ok - I didn't book trains earlier and it's good that I didn't - as luck would have it, my parents will be in Bury on Sunday (doing whatever parents do in such places) and have offered to give me a lift back in the afternoon! Disco!

So I only have to get a one way ticket  :)

I think I shall give the bloke at the campsite a call tomorrow to see what he has to say for himself....

« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:30:47 pm »
I have to take Mrs WJ to work next Sat, so won't be able to get to Brandon until 10am.

That'll do. We can meet at the cafe. There must be a cafe. So I can have a big breakfast and several mugs of tea.
I'm not mucking about with silly trains. I'll cycle up there. :P

« Reply #22 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »
There is a cafe at Brandon Country park - an excellent place to start the rides from.

« Reply #23 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:48:19 pm »
So we're to meet at the cafe at 10 then?

Teeth, are you camping or going back on Sat?

« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »
Ok - I think I shall go home on Sat night rather than camp. Save the hassle of getting camping gear on the back of the MTB.

I can get a train that arrives at Brandon at 09:42, so I assume that will give me time to get to the cafe by 10.