Author Topic: Fettling Hannibal  (Read 6271 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Fettling Hannibal
« on: 22 July, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »
After Hannibal the Brompton's little shakedown ride at the weekend, I'm putting together a list of fettles to do:

First, get those Jubilee clips on the suspension elastomer.  I finally grokked what was going on there when the Brompton FAQ described it as "restraining the elastomer's bulging belly".  Stainless, of course.

I have been given a pair of stubby bar-ends, but I didn't miss them at the weekend even while honking (after working out just how to honk!).  In fact, the S-type bars are so narrow that I was lapping my hands over the ends of the bars during the ride, and I don't want to miss that position.

I'm tempted to fabricate a little bracket for the front luggage boss to take a water-bottle mount.  A quick-release bottle cage would be outstanding - I really want to preserve the teensy fold.

The trolley wheels need to be changed for huge inline skate wheels.  Just for the coolness, really, though I'll pretend it's to easy rolling the thing around on 'em.  :)

I'm surprised at how little I want to change the stock machine.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Chris N

Re: Fettling Hannibal
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:57:33 am »
I have been given a pair of stubby bar-ends, but I didn't miss them at the weekend even while honking (after working out just how to honk!).  In fact, the S-type bars are so narrow that I was lapping my hands over the ends of the bars during the ride, and I don't want to miss that position.

Have a look at the Cane Creek Ergo II bar ends or the SJS copies - they don't affect the reach, but give you some where to rest your hands that's a bit more comfy.  Looking at Roger's pics of his folded Brompton, they shouldn't take up too much extra space.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:07:14 am »
I'm surprised at how little I want to change the stock machine.   :thumbsup:

That's pretty much how I feel about my Brommie.

I can't think of any other bike that I've fettled so little since I got it.  The Brompton came second hand with bar-ends, lights and an extended seatpost.  All I did to it was bung on a new style pentaclip anna decent saddle.  I also bought it an SQR block for my Carradice.  But other that that - it's as I got it and that's the way it'll stay.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:11:49 am »
I've got flat bars & big bar ends on mine (c1996 vintage)

which requires a q/r widget on the stem to allow them to rotate for folding purposes

It occasionally sports a double chainset too, for Alpine/Pyrenean  excursions. 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:13:36 am »
Is that the riser/stem from an M-handlebar bike, Mal?  Or is it meant for a flat bar, like Andy's?  I ask, 'cos it looks awfully low...

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:20:11 am »
It's the riser stem from bars like yours, Charlotte

That bike predates the availability of the flat-bar front end by many a year.  Though that's not the original front end anyway - or indeed the original back end.  All that is original on that bike is the bananana shaped main frame tube, the seat pin, the rear hub, the (bent) rack, the cranks & the folding pedal.

I like the low-pro position.  The long bar-ends make it quite comfy because my weight is well-forward.

King of the Brommie fettlers must be tkatzir of this parish.  That Phil Wood front hub... :o

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:26:42 am »

:D

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:52:33 am »
For bottle cage mounting, maybe one of these would worth a try?

Decathlon - [en][porte-bidon]  DECATHLON CYCLE - APB 300 bottle cage bracket DECATHLON CYCLE - fitting a bottle cage to a bike without cage bolts.

I've got one of those (not on the Brompton) and rate it highly.

Andy, I don't think a bottle cage on the front luggage mount would interfere with the fold? 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:54:56 am »
For bottle cage mounting, maybe one of these would worth a try?

Decathlon - [en][porte-bidon]  DECATHLON CYCLE - APB 300 bottle cage bracket DECATHLON CYCLE - fitting a bottle cage to a bike without cage bolts.

I've got one of those (not on the Brompton) and rate it highly.

I fitted one to Mrs T's Raliegh last week and think it's a great idea, esp as the Raliegh has no bottle cage bosses, but then again it is a city bike....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:52:02 pm »
That's a slick little block. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:55:38 pm »
They're good

I use them on the Hetchins, cos that has no bottle braze-ons.  Can't cope with a litre bottle at 200 rpm though :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »
You could have two bottles - one on the rear of the stem and one on the front carrier block.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.