Author Topic: Audax Perms near to each other.....  (Read 2457 times)

Audax Perms near to each other.....
« on: 09 August, 2012, 10:02:48 am »
Hello Audax fans

So I have a weekend with a free pass next weekend. I was going to do the Blenheim sportive, but now think it might be nice to go somewhere and do a couple of perms that are nearby and stay overnight. In the South/Midlands preferably, and not massvely hard ones. 200s preferably, though 100s are ok.
Any ideas?

Re: Audax Perms near to each other.....
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:06:03 am »
One of my favourite 200k perms is the Marlborough Connection from Woodstock.  Cant make it next weekend though or I would offer to join you.

Another one would be the Poor Student 200 Perm from Oxford.

Enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:13:53 am »
Thanks :) I did the Poor Student calendar one. That's definitely a possibility and on the list now, thanks. I'd probably prefer something different I haven't done before.

I find the perm thing quite hard to work out as you can't really see where they start, or go on the website, so not sure how to choose.

Do Mark R's all start from Tewkesbury does anyone know?

Another maybe is the New Forest 200 and New Forest/Wilts 160.....

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:39:04 am »
There are also a lot araound Cheltenham, any thoughts on any of those ones would be good :)

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:10:35 am »
The New Cheltenham Flyer from Cheltenham looks good if its anything like the calendar event earlier in the year.

Recently ridden the New Forest 200 Perm (John Ward's from Lymington) which is a great ride zig-zagging across the New Forest and not too hilly either although I did have very good weather for it.

I think Mark Rigby's perms all start from Tewkesbury and finish at the Royal Hop Pole (a Wetherspoons pub)

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
Thanks :) I did the Poor Student calendar one. That's definitely a possibility and on the list now, thanks. I'd probably prefer something different I haven't done before.

I find the perm thing quite hard to work out as you can't really see where they start, or go on the website, so not sure how to choose.

Do Mark R's all start from Tewkesbury does anyone know?

Another maybe is the New Forest 200 and New Forest/Wilts 160.....

I beleive Perms are a 'round-robin' - so you could start the route at any point, do the ridee and get off where you stated.

So Starting from Tewkesbury isn't mandatory.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:49:33 am »
Well starting from Tewkesbury is totally fine :) I just need to decide which ones to do, as I don't know what goes where. I'm looking for not too hard ones.....

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:55:28 am »
I think the Cyrch Cymru would be my favourite (to Talybont -on-Usk and back) although the route from Abergavenny to Monmouth is quite hilly, it can be re-routed by retracing the outward part.

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2012, 12:11:50 pm »
Well starting from Tewkesbury is totally fine :) I just need to decide which ones to do, as I don't know what goes where. I'm looking for not too hard ones.....

PM sent.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2012, 05:44:03 pm »
Calendar ride - Rutland Ramble - this weekend - new ride - "rolling climbs -- not steep - but lots of them" is organisers note. Is this of any interest? 7.30 start Saturday from Bedford
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Hillbilly

« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »
+1 to the Marlborough Connection.  A really pleasant ride.  Partnered with Poor Student and (although I've not done it) the Steve Poulton perm that is Oxfordshire based.

I also have a soft spot for Taste of the Test, which is organised by Mark Beauchamp.  Berkshire area start, with a sizeable slug of Hampshire.  Can be partnered with the Anorak's Delight.

« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Should I do some publicity for mine? All distances to 600 available in the Honiton-Exeter-Tiverton triangle.
ukcyclist.org.uk/perms

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2012, 06:13:52 pm »
Lady C did say "not massively hard ones", Ian ;D

« Reply #14 on: 09 August, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »
Another vote for Marlborough Connection.

I've never done Poor Student outside of January, but I would imagine it would be very different on a warm day, and it is nearly as picturesque as Mar.Conn.

Steve Poulton's New Cheltenham Flyer is indeed a lovely route* (has it taken over from "Cider with Rosie", which shared quite a bit of the route?).  This could easily be paired with either Marlborough Connection or one of BlackSheep's rides, or indeed another of Steve Ps

*except the bit near the end up the A436 from Seven Springs, which was ghastly on the calender ride.  Can be easily avoided on minor roads.  The perm might avoid it anyway.

« Reply #15 on: 09 August, 2012, 06:59:52 pm »
No pain, no gain ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »
Cambrian Series 2B from Chepstow, then the Avon Cycleway round Bristol on the Sunday.  Severn View Travellodge would do nicely for both.