Author Topic: The Southern Lake District on a Dahon  (Read 2909 times)

The Southern Lake District on a Dahon
« on: 29 July, 2008, 12:13:50 pm »
Great rides and holidays...

Coming back to Coniston after doing Wrynose Pass via the Duddon Valley

Grizedale Forest

I did my fair bit of chevron and double chevron climbs. I even resorted to using my granny gear on Wrynose Pass but it was not ideal as my front wheel was lifting... I took my time up these 20+% climbs but enjoyed every minute of them. This was helped by superb landscapes and great weather, as well as early-sh starts.

Contrarily to what I was told before going, one does not need that many gears, but rather some good spirit, if any, and the lanscapes just help one along. The lowest gears were not adequate on the steepest hills as I couldn't stand on the Dahon with these engaged yet I would loose the front wheel if sat in the saddle. The best option often was the 3rd gear, occasionally the 2nd, en danseuse and it passed. These little bikes rock, even on a 25% gradient!

More later.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Re: The Southern Peak District on a Dahon
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:16:27 pm »
Up Old Rake to start the ride up the Duddon Valley

I, some sheep and a sheperd at 9:00 up the Duddon Valley

Posing for posterity: Wrynose Pass

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: The Southern Peak Districk on a Dahon
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:18:26 pm »
Great photos, tho I'm surprised to see that the Duddon Valley et al. have been moved from the Lake District to the Peak District ;)  The Duddon area is really beautiful and unlike most of the areas in the Lakes as it is off the main tourist trail.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: The Southern Peak Districk on a Dahon
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »
Great photos, tho I'm surprised to see that the Duddon Valley et al. have been moved from the Lake District to the Peak District ;) 

::-)

Corrected!

The Duddon area is really beautiful and unlike most of the areas in the Lakes as it is off the main tourist trail.

It is gorgeous, especially on a bike when one has plenty of time. The climb is also very manageable. There is a first ramp (Old Rake) followed by a second one very early on, but after that it climbs "gently" up. Wrynose is something else though: Short and brutal!

The downhills were fabulous. The Dahon frame behaved impeccably but I did stand and put my weight behind the saddles on the worse sections.

Re: The Southern Lake District on a Dahon
« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »
That looks like a challenge m'seuir.  We're off to coniston on saturday and I'll be taking a bike!!

(Top photos!)

Re: The Southern Lake District on a Dahon
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:53:20 pm »
That looks like a challenge m'seuir.  We're off to coniston on saturday and I'll be taking a bike!!

(Top photos!)

Do take a bike Mike; even the Dahon. It's well worth it. Remember though that these are British hills, i.e. short and brutal (double chevron), but quite manageable. And the views...

Two recommended rides from Coniston: (1) Old Rake - Duddon Valley - Wrynose Pass - Langdale - Coniston; (2) Oxen - Grizedale Forest - Hawkshead - Tarn How - Coniston.

Having driven Hardknott Pass I decided against riding it. We drove up and went hill walking from there instead. See the thread in OT.