Author Topic: Essex Christmas do open to all 10am until late 8th December 2012  (Read 47214 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Essex Christmas do open to all 10am until late 8th December 2012
« on: 12 September, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »
This evening I have received texts from the MEMWNS committee, who were in a pub, advising me that I am the organiser of this year's event.

It is decreed that it shall take place in Heybridge near Maldon, Essex, where there be pubs and a basic campsite.

This shall take place on a Friday or Saturday night in December.

I think a steady crawl from Chelmsford railway station will commence at 1130 via The Compasses and The Blue Boar eventually arriving at Heybridge at last light. Opt in or out as desired.

I shall organise a meal in a pub there - hopefully.

For those not wishing to camp; I shall seek bricks and mortar accommodation choices.

Please state opinions and preferences below to help shape the outcome.

Update 09/11/2012

This subject to change but as nominated figurehead this is how I see the rough sketch of the day looking.

Meet at D's Diner http://www.ds-diner.co.uk/ in Hatfield Peveral where you can get a good breakfast. Arrive in time so that we can leave at 1100 to ride 10 miles to http://www.compasseslittleygreen.co.uk/ the ancestral home of MEMWNS. Here you can enjoy real ales and hearty food I guess we would leave here at around 1400 hrs to ride across to The Mighty North Hill for a gratuitous ascent, in this locality are cream tea or beer options. There is a simpler alternative for those not wishing to ride the hill.
The next watering hole will be http://www.blueboarhotel.com/ at the top of Maldon High Street. Again real ales abound, there is a court yard where Oscar's Dad will be doing a Christmas songs set on his Mobile Music MachineTM I would hope to arrive here by 1600 hrs.
Heybridge Basin where there is a campsite is under 3 miles from here. I would imagine the campers will head off around 1700-1800 to pitch tents in the dark etc. there are two pubs here also.

At 2000 hrs JenM has organised us an indian meal at a modern indian restuarant in Heybridge called Indian Summer the details are (nicked from JenM's post):-

£17.50 / head

- choice from a range of starters
- choice from either lamb, chicken or vegetarian based curry
- side dishes
- nan bread
- rice

Drinks will be extra and whilst we don't need to specify choice of menu they would like to know in advance the number of vegetarians and specific requests for hot / mild curries.

PS: If driving, Chief, there is car parking behind the restaurant
PPS: Its likely that they will locate us in a room off the main restaurant.....probably a good thing with Oscars Dad in full costume!!

I expect we'll wash up whats left of the evening in a pub at the Basin, there are two to choose from.

People tend to wear silly Christmas hats all day and dress their bikes with fairy lights and tinsel from the pound shop. Humour can be quite ribald.

Bring a lock and a key for outside the restaurant.

Please indicate to me bloomers 100. If you are camping and how many places at the indian you would like and any special requirements to my dedicated email for this event

heybridge2012 at g mail dot. com

I cannot guarantee I'll pick up on your intentions unless you use the email.

JenM I'll keep you abreast of numbers for the Heybridge end if that's okay.

bloomers100

Re: The legendary mid Essex Christmas do
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:50:13 pm »
Things you can expect

« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »
...via The Compasses and The Blue Boar

Surely there will be at least one other pub between those two!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The legendary All-Comers' Essex Christmas do
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »
Please correct the title. The Legendary Christmas Do is a Whole Essex affair, often with help from Suffolk and That London.

I am quite definitely determined to be there. I suspect that Dez will be, Mrs. Wow probably not. She gets over-excited at such events and it's not good for her state of apoplexy.

Dez will probably be Dez-ignated driver. If he isn't there I might be obliged to do something very silly with a tent and a bicycle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2012, 07:07:44 am »
Well done bloomers!  After receiving this from you last night we were concerned you had decided against taking High Office:

We discussed several ideas which you may or may not want to build into your plans:

1. Breakfast (with optional beer) at Wetherspoons in Chelmsford
2. Riding from Chelmsford to Heybridge down the tow path of the Blackwater and Chelmsford Navigation
3. An afternoon cream tea somewhere.  There are Wilkins tearooms at Heybridge and Tiptree
4. A brewery tour somewhere

:thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2012, 07:22:48 am »
i will inevitably be drawn to this offer of bacon, beer, cake and beer. 

Probably camping, probably begging mrsmike to come and get me in the morning because I dont feel very well.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:06:07 am »

Probably camping, probably begging mrsmike to come and get me in the morning because I dont feel very well.

Hmmmm.... that sounds a very good idea.  I shall see if I can talk Mr R into coming to collect me...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

Re: The legendary mid Essex Christmas do is open to all comers
« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:11:14 am »
It should be pointed out that significant others are most welcome to participate in some or all of the programme of thrilling events.

bloomers100

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:12:54 am »
Title amended.

I'm not sure the portrait of the organiser will encourage new attenders, don't you have a better photo of me?

Keep posting up the ideas, we can look at all suggestions at some point and sketch out the day's events providing something for everyone I hope.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:15:32 am »
I'm not sure the portrait of the organiser will encourage new attenders, don't you have a better photo of me?

No, the only other photo I have of you is much worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:16:13 am »
Title amended.

Keep posting up the ideas, we can look at all suggestions at some point and sketch out the day's events providing something for everyone I hope.

Legendary All-Essex Christmas Do!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:24:42 am »
As an amiable old archivist, I'm trying to piece together previous Essex Christmas Dos (Do's? Does?) and I'd appreciate some expert guidance.

2011 - Dunmow, Jalsar Ghar
2010 - Henham, Cock Inn & 'Uts
2009 - Newney Green, Duck
2008 - Fuller Street, Square & Compasses

Does the panel agree that these are correct? IIRC the 2008 edition was a select band in which the Saarfend contingent (Fatters, Del, Dez and I) travelled by car, because the weather was so crap.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:39:09 am »
Heybridge is about 8 miles from Witham, which I believe to be the nearest station, should any London brethren be keen to join our august thong. Although an August Thong might be a little under-dressed for a Christmas event.

Since Heybridge marks the egress of the River Chelmer into the North Sea I think it is beholden upon our Chelmsford members to cycle all the way to Maldon upon the canal tow-path, with the potential for Hilarious Consequences.

« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:48:04 am »
I shall do my utmost to Be There, having not managed last year due to Audax Duties.

I prefer roads and beer. Hilarious consequences may not be that hilarious from the back of a tandem. You miss seeing what's happening directly in front of you.

Re: The legendary All Essex Christmas do is open to all comers from all corners
« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:04:24 am »

Hmmmm.... that sounds a very good idea.  I shall see if I can talk Mr R into coming to collect me...  ;D

with an appropriate bribe, mrsmike could probably fit both of us and our bikes into her mhassove truck... lets consult nearer the day!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
As an amiable old archivist, I'm trying to piece together previous Essex Christmas Dos (Do's? Does?) and I'd appreciate some expert guidance.

2011 - Dunmow, Jalsar Ghar
2010 - Henham, Cock Inn & 'Uts
2009 - Newney Green, Duck
2008 - Fuller Street, Square & Compasses

Does the panel agree that these are correct? IIRC the 2008 edition was a select band in which the Saarfend contingent (Fatters, Del, Dez and I) travelled by car, because the weather was so crap.

Yes, that sounds about right.

I shall do my utmost to Be There, having not managed last year due to Audax Duties.

I prefer roads and beer. Hilarious consequences may not be that hilarious from the back of a tandem. You miss seeing what's happening directly in front of you.

Last year we had two groups, one which opted for the mud option, the other was sans mud.  This year we could do the same.  Nearer the time it should be possible for one or more of us to ride the towpath and report back.

There is some talk of Head Office and Twinkle Toes joining in for some if not all of this year's event.  In which case Tina the Tandem may come too.  I shall still be in favour of the towpath though.

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:24:37 am »
I've only done the Chelmer & Blackwater navigation once. And that was in summer. On a mountain bike.

I would not fancy doing it any other way!

Also, for much of it, it's a footpath only. And there are gates and stuff. And IIRC the only way out at Hoe Mill Lock is by lifting bikes over a fence/wall thing. Although that could have been due to getting on the wrong side of the river....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #17 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »
We inspected the campsite last night - sheltered spot overlooking the canal / boats, good toilet and shower facilities, with 2 pubs close by.......in my opinion The Jolly Sailor is the nicer.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:47:37 pm »
Jen, do you pass that way regularly?  It would be interesting to know when their Xmas menu is available.

« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:50:18 pm »
Jen, do you pass that way regularly?

Will do....although not until end Sept as an away on another jolly.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:30:07 pm »
Jen, do you pass that way regularly?

Will do....although not until end Sept as an away on another jolly.

:thumbsup:  Good to see you last night.

« Reply #21 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »
Pencil me in. I'll confirm with HQ if it's ok to have another weekend away with OD and Bloomers! (pending the outcome of next week)

If the plan is to get to Heybridge early doors then might invite Mrs Chris and the little chicks over for a drink.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »
The excitement is building already :thumbsup: Bloomers - you got dropped in it teehee - but I did ask JenM about book clubs in the Maldon area.

Dress code and decorations - the usual silliness or can we build on that....?

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:09:37 pm »
If I can motor over there and stay in a tent  without mud will be up for this.... ;D ps what happened to the Essex camping week end did I miss it? Are there any plans to stay in the 'uts over winter?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

bloomers100

« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »
The excitement is building already :thumbsup: Bloomers - you got dropped in it teehee - but I did ask JenM about book clubs in the Maldon area.

Dress code and decorations - the usual silliness or can we build on that....?

No probs Tomsk, I'm happy to do it. We'll have to do some visits over there in the meantime. This is where we start wishing autumn away.