Just started a new (probably just this month) commute. I should have known it was too good to be true - gritted roads, flat, short enough to wear normal clothes, quiet (cos I start after 9).
I'm wondering if I've set a record for cycle-path related 'comment' from motons. 5 rides (using the road evenings only*), 5 remarks (if I include horns). It's well under a mile, and wide enough for bike-car-car if folks are careful. And quiet - around a dozen cars pass me in that time, so there is negligible delay for anyone.
For fux sake.
Anyone care to post their claims for this record? I reckon that as a %age of drivers encountered, my chances aren't bad
(Reasons not to use the cycle-path:
- no grit, and I like some daylight - or at least streetlights - to spot ice/snow patches.
- *it's RH-side only, so I use it in the morning, but in the dark you'll get headlights straight at you.
- too narrow for 2 riders (without careful co-operation). and noone wants to swerve off the pavement into 60-limit traffic, do they?
- being RH-side, there is a horrendous roundabout crossing to negotiate at the far end. If you use the road it is utterly fine.
- bloody mindedness. Of course.