Author Topic: Non plumbed in coffee machines  (Read 1932 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Non plumbed in coffee machines
« on: 13 August, 2008, 10:28:11 am »
Want to invest in an espresso machine. Not in the same market as Sam - but also don't want to end up with somthing that dissapoints.

Looking in the price range of the Gaggia Baby. What other similarly priced machines should I be looking at? Is the gaggia even good enough?

Do I really need a burr grinder (if so, how much must I spend for somthing good enough?) - or can I get away with a blade grinder?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: Non plumbed in coffee machines
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:55:24 am »
You need a burr grinder.  No point in buying a decent machine and not grinding properly.

We have one of these, though I think we got it for less at Costco.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2008, 10:57:10 am »
Is the Gaggia Baby the entry-level model? If so, I had one for years and it worked faultlessly - just a bit plasticky in construction that's all. I've now upgraded to a Gaggia Classic, coffee is the same but it's much more solidly built.

A burr grinder is essential (or just buy pre-ground Illy...) Gaggia's cheap one is ok, but the next one up has a dispenser, which is very convenient (and less messy).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2008, 11:01:27 am »
Having had both types of non-plumbed in espresso machines (pressure and pump driven) I would not go back to pressure driven system.  With a pressure driven system you are limited by the ability of the system to get the water up to heat quick enough, and the water needs to get too hot to operate the pressure system, so burnt coffee is more frequent.  the quality also varies a lot more than the pump driven ones.  The down side to pump driven ones is that they tend to take a little longer than pressure driven ones to make the coffee, but the end result is more consistent.

I currently have a Gaggia Evolution and I wouldn't be without it.  As for a grinder a burr one is a must (unless you just want to make lots of dust) and it must be adjustable, so you can make the grind exactly how you want it.  I have a German made unit which cost around £45 from a local indie coffee shop and, although noisy, grinds the coffee perfectly.

Incidentally the Evolution will operate with pods (Gaggia's own) or with grounds, so can be useful if that is your want (not mine as I prefer to have a bigger choice and not be locked into a manufacturer's whim as to wether it will make the pods any more)

HTH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State