Author Topic: Is open-water swimming due for the big time?  (Read 4452 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Is open-water swimming due for the big time?
« on: 21 August, 2008, 09:54:25 pm »
This year's Olympics featured a new swimming discipline at the Olympics: the 10km open-water swim.  It's long and gruelling and rufty-tufty: with no lanes, athletes block each other out, swim over one another, and barge to get the best position.  The Russian women's winner described some of the more hairy moments as like "boxing not swimming" and David Davies said he felt "violated" after being kicked, trampled and de-goggled in the melee.  And that's all on top of a two hour swim intense enough that he went off for a lie down in the medical tent and the girls, the day after, said it "really really hurts!"

The athletes included an amputee and a leukemia survivor and all of them were alying down a pacce double my absolute breathing-through-my-arse-and-seeing-stars sprint speed, for two whole hours.  They took food and drink on board while swimming and were followed by a ref in a boat issuing yellow cards for getting too frisky.  It had everything.

This is exactly what the challenge sport community lap up.  They drink this kind of gruelling gnarliness with their porridge - remember in the 90s the marathoners who would go on about their blistered feet and bleeding nipples?  Or the naughties triathletes motivated by the weeping athletes crawling across the Kona finish line on their knees?

It's also exactly what the "pure sport" people are crying out for.  This is not rhythmic gymnastics or horse dancing, this is a proper first-past-the-post race that really is in the original Olympic spirit.  Coubertin would love it.  The ancient Greeks would love it ("Swim to that island and back, first one back with a golden apple wins the Fleece!" *splash biff splash*).  I predict great things for open-water swimming in the next few years.

2012's open-water swim will be held in the Serpentine, in Hyde Park.  One to watch.

...and one to have a go at?  The Outdoor Swimming Society - Home :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Rob S

Re: Is open-water swimming due for the big time?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
The problem I have with it is that the water was as flat as an indoor pool...no waves to deal with, it was in the rowing lake so no tidal current to swim against...and during the womens race the water was warmer than the pool.....so the only challenge is being so close to others feet. Swimming round the Serpentine will be dull.....how about the Dome to under Tower Bridge!!?? :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »
The Guardian has been having a bit of a push of outdoor swimming this year.  It comes up regularly in features.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:14:17 pm »
The problem I have with it is that the water was as flat as an indoor pool...no waves to deal with, it was in the rowing lake so no tidal current to swim against...and during the womens race the water was warmer than the pool.....so the only challenge is being so close to others feet. Swimming round the Serpentine will be dull.....how about the Dome to under Tower Bridge!!?? :thumbsup:

You can't possibly say those races were dull!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:15:19 pm »
It's also exactly what the "pure sport" people are crying out for.  This is not rhythmic gymnastics or horse dancing, this is a proper first-past-the-post race that really is in the original Olympic spirit.

Sounds good to me; I wish I could have seen coverage of this.

The Outdoor Swimming Society - Home :thumbsup:

There's a link on that site's "news" page to a short article on "swimhiking" with a pack on:

"So I came up with a swimsac just to keep my clothes safe.  Then, once I invented it, that I realised the amazing potential it had.  I was no longer tied to the spot where I entered the water.  I could get out anywhere, get changed, and keep going.  I could swim across a bay without all the fuss and bother of clothes drops; I could float down rivers without worrying how to  get back upstream;  I could cross lakes;  tour islands."

This is the kind of idea that could get me into a lot of trouble.  :)  But I really like it--anything that allows you to keep going like that makes me want to drop everything and go.

There's also a link to a Guardian swimhiking article (oops, hi, Clarion....).
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Rob S

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:19:50 pm »

No I didn't...they were exciting...or rather the edited highlights were...I'm saying the Serpentine will be a dull venue as there is no tide or waves to contend with. They should do it in the sea!! Dover out to a cross channel ferry anchored 10km out to sea!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »

Rob just wants more danger.

The Scylla and Charybdis Classic, anyone?

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:21:59 pm »
Dover out to a cross channel ferry anchored 10km out to sea!! :thumbsup:

Don't be ridiculous. There's no sporting history of long-distance swimming in the English Channel. What could possibly make you come up with such a thing? Good thing the Olympic Committee didn't come up with a new and untested idea like that.

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:27:58 pm »

It's a bit like the London Marathon IMO...it would only be exciting if there are to be steel bands floating on the route inside the drums and some of the competitors drown dress up in fancy dress costumes.   ;)

Now that I would watch...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:16:28 am »
How about in 2012 they do a cross-Channel swim and the winners can only claim their medals if French authorities actually let them land? And how about some gunboats doing a live ammo practice mid-Channel to liven things up?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:51:48 am »
Rob has got a very valid point in my opinion.  I have competed in open water events.  It was where I won my first prize money.  At the time I was still an amateur and it caused all sorts of problems  ;D

I was surprised to see the 'open water' was not as it was a large rowing pool of closed water.  There must be rules and regulations for this 'open water' classification and I wonder how they regard the Olympic event.

Current, jelly fish, waves - now that is open water.

« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:18:34 pm »
See here too. Great sport, but I agree on the lack of open-waterness in Beijing, although it was a great race. Payne telling us of races in SA, that was something...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:24:50 pm »
I'll agree that a lake swim is tamer than a really wild one... but having done tri, I can definitely say that it's more rufty and indeed more tufty than a pool, by far. 

Contact-sport swimming, and drafting - that is a whole different game.

ChrisO

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:25:09 pm »
For anyone interested in open-water swimming, at the wild-swimming (yes it is called that) end of the spectrum I can thoroughly recommend the book Waterlog by Roger Deakin.

One of the loveliest things you will ever read.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »
It was a proper event - unfortunately a total spectator nightmare though. Not that I care about that, but the IOC seem to.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2008, 03:38:21 pm »
Bloody Serpentine's no good. How about swimming along the Swale (and up Milton Creek) between Queenborough and Sittingbourne. It's about 10km, definitely open water, a bit sheltered from the worst of the elements, not too much traffic to disrupt (unlike the Thames), perfect.

Might have to run the gauntlet of chavs throwing stuff though. Still, adds to the excitement!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2008, 03:50:57 pm »
For anyone interested in open-water swimming, at the wild-swimming (yes it is called that) end of the spectrum I can thoroughly recommend the book Waterlog by Roger Deakin.

One of the loveliest things you will ever read.

Ordered and on the way--thanks!

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2008, 06:40:23 pm »
The name of the sport conjures up images of victorian gents in stripey swimming costumes

Firmly braced at the start line, eying each other up to see who has the most finely waxed and well grown moustache

The race begins only after a nod of aproval from Her Majesty Queen Victoria, a very pistol signaling the start of events...

« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2008, 07:04:11 pm »
Damned if I'd want to swim in the Serpentine.  At best you'd come out green, at worst gods know what you could catch. :-\

I've seen plenty of dogs who've jumped in their wandering about with the bottom half of them a nice shade of green from the algae or whatever it is that's growing in their.  I wonder if they're going to have to fit some damned great big version of an aquarium filter to it, to make it more acceptable?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #19 on: 22 August, 2008, 08:40:12 pm »
The name of the sport conjures up images of victorian gents in stripey swimming costumes

Firmly braced at the start line, eying each other up to see who has the most finely waxed and well grown moustache

That sounds just like Mr. Gates!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #20 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:02:08 pm »
The serps not really open water is it? Or do they mean open water as in outdoor rather than like a river or sea?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Rob S

« Reply #21 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:10:24 pm »
Should be called open air swimming!! Although that would've caused a few problems at Athens as the pool was outdoors too. Water Boxing perhaps.....or Murder Paddling! :thumbsup:

ChrisO

« Reply #22 on: 23 August, 2008, 05:27:09 am »
Damned if I'd want to swim in the Serpentine.  At best you'd come out green, at worst gods know what you could catch. :-\

I've seen plenty of dogs who've jumped in their wandering about with the bottom half of them a nice shade of green from the algae or whatever it is that's growing in their.  I wonder if they're going to have to fit some damned great big version of an aquarium filter to it, to make it more acceptable?

The Serpentine Swimming Club is one of the oldest in the UK.

And it is fed from the river so it is genuinely open water.

I know octogenarians who swim several times a week in the Serpentine, and one (now 87) who well into his 70s used to run between Serps and Tooting Lido where he also swims. All year round. With no wetsuit.

... the youth of today  ::-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:47:31 am »

That sounds just like Mr. Gates!

*tweak preen*

Did my first mile today.  Dai Splash had better watch his back.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:53:02 am »
You can just imagine some of the nutters who would be attracted to this. The people I know who do Tri tell me it's often a bit of a free for all in the water as people try to swim in the 'draft' of others and then at the transition get out as quick as poss. There was a drowning of someone a couple of years back in the London area of someone who was trampled at the transition  :(