Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2009  (Read 9253 times)

Re: Brian Chapman Memorial 2009
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2008, 10:04:26 am »
enabling me to have a nap in a field

and enabling me to have three. Plus a bus shelter and the veranda at YHA Snowdon Ranger. (I have to stop NOW when dozies strike) (and am far too slow to use the fabled beds at Dolgellau) (Dolgellau is nevertheless a heavenly Control!)

The hilliness is the easy sort. Even on the bigger climbs, it's possible to remind yourself that continual shorter-and-steeper ups and downs, on less good surfaces, would be much more difficult.

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 04 October, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
I've compared SR plans with Chillmoister and I am 100% in on the BCM 2009.   I am delighted to be able to join the Fabulous Faccombe Four! 

Swarmcatcher

If you repeat the oath "I hereby promise to buy the Fabulous Faccombe Four a pint on a forthcoming Audax" then you will instantly become a member of the Fabulous Faccombe Five".

You are already a member of the Wonderful Wilton Three

PS.  How surreal is Milton Abbas?

« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2008, 07:24:17 am »
If you repeat the oath "I hereby promise to buy the Fabulous Faccombe Four a pint on a forthcoming Audax" then you will instantly become a member of the Fabulous Faccombe Five".

The oath has been repeated!  See you at the Poor Student if not before.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2009
« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2008, 11:03:04 am »
I have nasty feeling that all this casual BCM chat will come back and well and truly haunt us at about 3am on some never ending climb up another Welsh mountain in rain that dissolves granite!!
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2008, 01:28:56 pm »
Of course all this talk is pointless unless the organiser gets his finger out and puts the event in the calendar.

« Reply #30 on: 06 October, 2008, 09:44:30 pm »
Of course all this talk is pointless unless the organiser gets his finger out and puts the event in the calendar.
/
Quite right. When I point the finger - why are there always three pointing back at me
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #31 on: 06 October, 2008, 11:48:17 pm »
/
Quite right. When I point the finger - why are there always three pointing back at me

We live in a digital age.

Bryan Chapman Memorial 2009 should now be visible in two versions.

« Reply #32 on: 07 October, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »
Excellent, and perfect timing too. It gives me a week and a bit to "recover" before I avenge my London to Cornwall ride for the in-laws golf weekend at the end of May.

Doubt I'll have enough brownie points for the Brevet Cymru though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #33 on: 07 October, 2008, 02:22:01 pm »
Just claim you have to ride both events to qualify for both lots of points

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 07 October, 2008, 03:49:49 pm »
Has anyone got a plotted route or track for the non-scenic version of this?

I mean from a previous event.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #35 on: 07 October, 2008, 04:36:45 pm »

Bikely has the route from a couple of years ago.

Rich.

frere yacker

« Reply #36 on: 07 October, 2008, 05:34:15 pm »
Doubt I'll have enough brownie points for the Brevet Cymru though.

Assuming it appears in the calendar.  Although I do have a stack of 30 cards for the permananet version should it fail to materialise.

A quick scan of the forthcoming calendar suggests lots of tasty rides cutting through Wales in 2009.  Around 8 have caught my eye thanks to the (very welcome) continued efforts of Blacksheep and John Hamilton.

Chris N

« Reply #37 on: 07 October, 2008, 05:36:38 pm »

I've got GPX route files for the 2008 2004, IYSWIM.  Can email them to you tomorrow.

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 07 October, 2008, 05:46:35 pm »

I've got GPX route files for the 2008 2004, IYSWIM.  Can email them to you tomorrow.

I have a track now thanks.

However I think there's an error with it, the route seems to go up and down Wales from end to end.  That can't be right.

PS. can someone sum up the main differences between the 2004 and the Scenic routes please?

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 07 October, 2008, 05:57:43 pm »
PS. can someone sum up the main differences between the 2004 and the Scenic routes please?

Pain.

HTH

Not that I would know

« Reply #40 on: 07 October, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »

Amongst other things:

Turn left in Rhayader and go up/down/up/down/up/down through the Elan Valley to Devil's Bridge instead of taking the "flatter" A470/A44 route.

Not sure if it joins up with the other route at Ponterwyd or somewhere closer to Aber.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bobajobrob

« Reply #41 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:39:26 am »

Bikely has the route from a couple of years ago.

2004 route, courtesy of blop.

frere yacker

« Reply #42 on: 08 October, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »
I've done both routes.  My preference is the 2004 route as it is more direct and makes it more likely I'll get a decent rest in Menai/Kings.  And to be honest, the 2004 is plenty scenic enough.

The only major difference in roads between the two routes is the scenic has a pleasant diversion via Elan Valley rather than a bash along a (quiet) A road.  On a good day, this diversion is very much worth doing.  On a bad day, it is very much to be avoided.  But you can enter the 2004 and ride the scenic diversion if the mood takes you.

The rest of the route is either identical or the scenic has no significant advantage over the 2004 route.

border-rider

« Reply #43 on: 08 October, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »
I've done both routes.  My preference is the 2004 route as it is more direct and makes it more likely I'll get a decent rest in Menai/Kings.  And to be honest, the 2004 is plenty scenic enough.

The only major difference in roads between the two routes is the scenic has a pleasant diversion via Elan Valley rather than a bash along a (quiet) A road.  On a good day, this diversion is very much worth doing.  On a bad day, it is very much to be avoided.  But you can enter the 2004 and ride the scenic diversion if the mood takes you.

The rest of the route is either identical or the scenic has no significant advantage over the 2004 route.

That's my take on it too

I always take the Scenic diversion up the quite lanes through Boughrood to Builth after the first control, rather than the A road, which I hate.  But after that I do the 2004 to the next control.  I can ride the Elan Valley on a 300, when I'm not eating into sleep time. 

Last time I also took the short Scenic diversion into Dolgellau, and that was very nice.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:19:04 pm »
Liz and I are considering volunteering to help crew the control at Kings THA.  I've ridden it twice, she's ridden it once and we're wondering if it wouldn't be nicer to ride up there (maybe as a perm) and have a nice day or so pottering about on kitchen/dining room duties and then ride home again at our leisure.

The only problem is, we've got this shiny new tandem that goes like stink and we're both gagging to see if we can make it to Snowden in daylight...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:21:13 pm »

The only problem is, we've got this shiny new tandem that goes like stink and we're both gagging to see if we can make it to Snowden in daylight...

I'm sure you can.  I usually get to Menai OK in daylight, and on a good year its still dusk when I leave there.  I suspect that on that tandem you're a lot faster than I ever was.

frere yacker

« Reply #46 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:22:42 pm »
Last time I also took the short Scenic diversion into Dolgellau, and that was very nice.

Masochist  ;)

IIRC, that's a nasty climb followed by a nast descent and a mazy route through the village.  As opposed to a nice long descent on the main A road that bypasses the village.

« Reply #47 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:55:02 pm »

The only problem is...

If you're helping you get the right to ride the event a week either side of the calendar date. Of course we'll only have your word for whether you got to the pass in daylight.

« Reply #48 on: 08 October, 2008, 03:38:42 pm »

I always take the Scenic diversion up the quite lanes through Boughrood to Builth after the first control, rather than the A road, which I hate. 

I didn't know of that option until after the ride this year.  Had I known I would have it.  If it's the one I'm thinking of (the Brevet Cymru goes that way, right?) it is a beautiful stretch of road, and probably only a mile or so longer than the A road alternative.  This year the A road was very busy on account of some event at the showground in Builth.

LEE

« Reply #49 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »

That's my take on it too

I always take the Scenic diversion up the quite lanes through Boughrood to Builth after the first control, rather than the A road, which I hate.  But after that I do the 2004 to the next control.  I can ride the Elan Valley on a 300, when I'm not eating into sleep time. 

Just measured the 2 options and the 'scenic' Boughrood diversion is 18km (1km longer than A-road to Builth) but 100 metres less ascent so it's definitely got my vote.

Just realised that one of Dave Hudson's 'Info Controls' was up that bloody road on the Midhurst 600.  Just gone midnight at 322km.  I'm sure there are darker places on Earth but I've never visited them.  Will be nice to see it in daylight.