Author Topic: Audax or Road ? - new bike decision…  (Read 6065 times)

Re: Audax or Road ? - new bike decision…
« Reply #25 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:15:08 am »
I went to Brian Rourke cycles in Stoke last weekend for something nippy for general purpose use.  He's doing an 853 super oversized frame with racy angles, but clearance for 57mm brakes and up to 28mm tyres and guards.  Frame and forks come in at about £650.

I was impressed by the 3 hours he took over the sizing and details (quite a bit of that was anecdotes from his years in racing), and also the quality of workmanship of the frames in his shop.

Corvine

« Reply #26 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:18:45 am »
I would go for the road bike but I think you should definitely get the bits for mudguard and rack so they'll be available when you want them. It would be a shame to be forced to ride the heavier bike whenever the weather's dodgy. Which is most of the time, lately.

I love my road bike but I wish I had got mudguard and rack mountings. I'll probably have to end up getting a "winter road bike" or something which will cost more money than having got the more appropriately specced bike in the first place.

But you shouldn't ignore the comfort factor either. I don't think you'll need a proper audax bike strength-wise, but in terms of comfort there might be things you can do on the road bike, such as carbon forks and seat posts. I love my "zertz inserts" on my Specialized (even though they're probably just a gimmick!) And if you're getting Hewitt to set the bike up for you, perhaps you could discuss with him where you get sore on the road bike and he could perhaps help you to set up a slightly more upright position, for example?

bikenerd

« Reply #27 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:25:06 am »
If we get another summer like the last one, an audax bike (mudguards) seems a better bet.

Don't forget how hot 2006 was!  I remember grovelling around the Barbury Bash in 30 degree heat in July.
We've had two lousy summers in a row but it's just a blip.  Hopefully! :)

For another suggestion.  You can get a Surly Pacer in a 42cm size.  It has eyelets for mudguards but no rack mounts.  I have one and, while it's not the lightest bike in the world, it does have a racy geometry.  I can easily crank out 25kmph between controls on flatish Audaxes.
Edit: frame and fork are £300.  If I bought one now I'd be tempted to ditch the fork in favour of a carbon one and shave 1/2kg of the weight.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:25:32 am »
Obligatory Tyke mention of Bob Jacksons.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 16 September, 2008, 10:57:46 am »
If we get another summer like the last one, an audax bike (mudguards) seems a better bet.

Don't forget how hot 2006 was!  I remember grovelling around the Barbury Bash in 30 degree heat in July.
We've had two lousy summers in a row but it's just a blip.  Hopefully! :)
If I concentrate I find I can ride with mudguards in hot dry weather. (I can also ride with an empty rack.)  ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 16 September, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »
Thansk Bikenerd, I would be happy with an off the peg bike as long as it fitted well - and I do like the look of the Giant Avail.

I also liked the look of this from Condor:
Condor Cycles Bellissima - Womens Road Bike
But wasnt sure if I could put a rack on it.....

Ideally I would like a frame built up to my measurements but I dont think I need full custom. After all, it's my 45cm road bike I think is too small, and my tourer is a 50cm frame, just adjusted to size with all the other components.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #31 on: 16 September, 2008, 01:55:37 pm »
CT,

I'm just wondering what size your current Trek is?
Maffie (my significant other) is of similar height you see.

Thanks
Dan

« Reply #32 on: 16 September, 2008, 02:06:52 pm »
It's 45cm (and as Ariadne pointed out it's actually a Lemond :-[)

I do find I am a bit hunched on it, I want a longer distance between seat and bars - I feel a bit wobbly compared to my tourer.

But it could all be personal taste - Ariadne is only about 1.5 inches smaller than me and is very happy on her 44cm Specialized Dolce......

« Reply #33 on: 16 September, 2008, 02:10:10 pm »
Ah, but Ariadne has short legs and you have long ones (relatively!! )

i think the difference in leg/ torso length makes a big difference in what fits.

« Reply #34 on: 16 September, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »
What about PM-ing Megajoules?

She's not as small as you, but does have a 650 wheeled bike.  She might have more insight.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #35 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:22:56 pm »

How does Mrs Valkyrie rate her lovely Bianci? I was very envious......

She loves it. We went to Evans in Glasgow to look for a nice sensible audax bike with rack and guards, but as soon as she saw the Bianchi that was the end of any rational thinking. She ended up getting it and then getting a Thorn Sherpa a wee while later for use with rack and guards. This year's versions have terrible colour schemes and don't look very good value.

We're getting into winter now so you've got plenty time to get a bike. My advice is -
1. Go to Evans/Edinburgh Bike/Anywhere else to try lots of different bikes for size.
2. Scan eBay and the various cheapo internet shops for bargain old model frames.
3. Build it up with the components you really want, also sourced from t'internet.
It worked for me!

Here's a frame to look at to get you going - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id36224.html A £600 frame will build into a very nice bike for £1200 total spend and you'll get the stem/bars/saddle you really want. A lot of the women specific bikes seem pretty poor value when compared to the man's versions.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #36 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:44:24 pm »
Thanks Valkyrie,

Glad to hear she loves the Bianci, now if there's also a Thorn Sherpa that means she needs to be at a few more Audax rides  ;)

Good idea about going round everywhere and trying them out. I'm happy to build up a bike (Well, I mean get someone to build it up for me  ;D ) but I need to know exactly what I'm looking for..... I just need to be patient!

« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2008, 01:52:50 pm »
It's 45cm (and as Ariadne pointed out it's actually a Lemond :-[)

I do find I am a bit hunched on it, I want a longer distance between seat and bars - I feel a bit wobbly compared to my tourer.

Could that be solved  (more cheaply) with a longer stem? Is the 'wobbly' behaviour due to 'tighter' roadbike geometry?
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:54:11 pm »
RichMoss, thanks, it's certainly worth a try - I can do that and compare with other road bikes, and it could be the geometry as you suggest.

« Reply #39 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »
When I couldn't make up my mind which bike to buy, it was solved by:

n + 2

I did that in March 2004.  A new Roberts Roughstuff and a Marin full susser!