Linked Events

• Mixing it With the Cars: 02 November, 2008

Author Topic: To Brighton with the old cars 2009 edition - see end for details  (Read 10889 times)

To Brighton with the old cars 2009 edition - see end for details
« on: 16 September, 2008, 11:08:23 am »
Join Lewisham Cyclists for the second run of our trip to Brighton with the Genevieve crowd.

It's an early start but you'll enjoy it - well Jurek, who some of you know I think, did.

NEW this year - two rides - one probably fairly fast like last year's somewhat manic trip - the other somewhat slower. But we both hope to meet up.

This year we'll probably be pausing in Ansty for a beer.

More details at: Lewisham Cyclists - Home Page

including report and pics of last year's event

Click on "events" and you'll see all the details.

IMPORTANT - Please note info about the lunch arrangements - bring your own (recommended for simplicity) or be prepared to dash into the nearby Asda in Crawley - we won't be disappearing inside a pub - too much to see - though we'll very probably go for a drink and maybe meal when we get to Brighton.
Paul

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: To Brighton with the old cars
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »
Hi Paul

William and Jo were chatting about this - I will gracefully join the slow group! Looking forward to it.

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2008, 06:30:24 pm »
I wrote at length about this ride in another place, but for the moment can confirm that the term "whacky races" is not entirely inappropriate as a description.
If the weather's fine, as it was last year, then expect the route to be lined with cheering crowds offering encouragement not only to the cars but also to the cyclists, of whom there were a fair few contingents.
Many other interesting vehicles both two wheeled and four, ghost ride this pilgrimage as they are  yet too young to enter officially - so you get to see classics of all sorts.
Pacing yourself against the old cars is exhilarating, and do-able on most parts of the terrain. Staying out of their way on the descents is advisable - given that the brake technology of the day is errr.... agricultural by today's standards.
Brighton itself is in festival mode for the day, with loads of associated events, including aerobatic displays by a couple of bi-planes.

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:49:40 pm »
A link to Jurek's report for the other place written in the immediate aftermath of the event (and giving an excellent flavour of it) can be found by going to Lewisham Cyclists - Home Page, hop to events and in the midst of details of this year's ride you'll find a link to last year's report and thence to Jurek's fine words.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:58:39 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:13:50 am »
Interesting.  Must check diary.
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:32:11 pm »
Interested; but possibly only as far as Clayton; after that the other cars can make it pretty awful, best way to see all the cars is ride back from Clayton against the flow.It's tipped it down last few times I've ridden; but on a good day is sublime ;) always fun ignoring the marshalls and riding the old crocks' coned off lane.

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:35:49 pm »
I'm going on this - if I may, Paul?

Parp Parp  ;D

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:39:13 pm »

Parp Parp  ;D

It goes through Staplefield; is this a good move? :)

« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2008, 10:20:16 pm »
Well, there's no shortage of bollards in the area to keep them on the straight and narrow...

« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:41:54 am »
Interested; but possibly only as far as Clayton; after that the other cars can make it pretty awful, best way to see all the cars is ride back from Clayton against the flow.It's tipped it down last few times I've ridden; but on a good day is sublime ;) always fun ignoring the marshalls and riding the old crocks' coned off lane.

We've actually reccied a way round the very fast bit of road (almost motorway) which follows Clayton. Feel free of course (applies to anyone) to bail out at any point - the rest of us - slow and fast groups will be carrying on to Brighton - doesn't seem right not to get there. If anyone does want to drop out and they are still with the group, good manners of course to let people know that you are leaving. Jurek will know all about one individual on a Lewisham ride (not this one) who just chose to leave, heedless of the fact that the rest of us waited and waited and even went back to look for him.

Hope to see a good turnout for this year - can't promise anything about the weather.

Point about cones came up last year in a similar sounding forum. As I said then, we found no problem at all with the marshals - the entire day was good humoured in every way.

So - see you there - get some beauty sleep - it's an early start.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:42:52 am »

Parp Parp  ;D

Well of course you can.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:55:58 am »
I remember doing this in 1983 - I met Richard Noble and got on the telly ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:08:23 pm »
So - see you there - get some beauty sleep - it's an early start.

Paul

makes most sense for me to get the first train (which surprisingly is a train that Sunday) out of East Grinstead; which means I won't arrive until 08.48; I assume this is too late; so can meet you at Croydon...(still too late but have a cunning plan)

Jurek; love those autumnal shots from the train at Balcombe

« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:50:36 am »
makes most sense for me to get the first train (which surprisingly is a train that Sunday) out of East Grinstead; which means I won't arrive until 08.48; I assume this is too late; so can meet you at Croydon...(still too late but have a cunning plan)

[/quote]

Yes too late for East Croydon - we'll be sticking to strict departure times - will leave you to your cunning plan then - fine by me, though please note that after those logged meeting point times we won't be waiting anywhere for anyone/delaying the group beyond our planned stops (end of Crawley High Street for food - see Lewisham Cyclists - Home Page for info and we'll probably also stop at Ansrt outside the pub for a while - there may be better pubs for beer but this has been chosen for it's location - a good point to watch the cars as they slow round the roundabout.  Pub fans are recommended to come on some of the other rides I lead for lewisham cyclists.

On the day there may be other shortish stops of course, depending on the existing group.

Paul

Dave

« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2008, 02:06:49 pm »
Got room for another? Weather permitting, obviously ::-)

Toot toot

« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2008, 02:16:58 pm »
Got room for another? Weather permitting, obviously ::-)

Toot toot

plenty of room - no need to ask - details already fixed - see above or Lewisham Cyclists - Home Page for info.

NB: please don't bother calling me on the day to say you are on your way to any of starting points - I tend to be rushing to meeting points at the last minute and it delays me - just be there on time - as per arrangements we leave pretty much on time - if anyone misses us, suggest you just follow the route - feel free to call after we leave East Croydon if you want to know where we are - if I know I'll tell you but we won't wait beyond what we would wait anyway - not fair to rest of group - if all goes pear-shaped just follow all the cars and the multiplicity of signs - it would be a real achievement to get lost on that day.

Paul

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »
Poo!  I'm going to be in Manchester...  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #18 on: 29 October, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of either catching the train to East Croydon, but I think in the end I will pootle onto Cutty Sark for the start of the ride..anyone have any idea what the weather is going to be like on Sunday?

« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2008, 05:25:41 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of either catching the train to East Croydon, but I think in the end I will pootle onto Cutty Sark for the start of the ride..anyone have any idea what the weather is going to be like on Sunday?

Favourable winds, with the occasional bit of damp - if a 4 days ahead foreacast is to be believed.

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2008, 05:51:59 pm »
ADDITIONAL MEETING POINT.

In addition to Cutty Sark Gardens/Forest Hill/East Croydon, Bill has very kindly agreed to run a feeder ride to East Croydon from  Bermondsey Square - may be handy if Tower Bridge is a handier river crossing for you than the Greenwich foot tunnel.

Meet Bill at 6.58 (yes really - a sunrise start to coincide with the first
cars leaving Hyde Park) at Bermondsey Square.

Corner of Tower Bridge Road and Long Lane.

Bill will be riding through The Elephant and Castle to pick up the cars at The Oval
before delivering everyone to East Croydon by 8:15 where we will split the
ride as described below.

Bill's number is 07973 668642.

Paul's number 07957 209322.

toodle pip honk honk

IMPORTANT - This is a PROMPT DEPARTURE - NO WAITING -all these times are fixed - no negotiation

« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2008, 06:02:26 pm »
I'm joining at Forest Hill. I have a couple of things to do on the way - if I'm a bit late can you hang on and I'll give you a tinkle?

;)

« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:21:17 pm »
I might be a bit late too.
Please don't leave wIthout me.

Ta
 :-*

Dave

« Reply #23 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:36:53 pm »
It looks like I'll be joining at East Croydon. But do leave without me if I'm not there :P

« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:58:59 pm »
It looks like I'll be joining at East Croydon. But do leave without me if I'm not there :P

Hi Dave

Look forward to seeing you there.

Re the other two requests - suggest you read the bit above and what's been posted at Lewisham Cyclists - Home Page for yonks. These times are fixed due to obligations to meet up with other people coming from several different places. Departure times also fixed in order to be fair to other people who may not be super fast riders - ride from Forest Hill to East Croydon will be fairly fast anyway but it's just not fair to delay the departure and then force a mixed back of riders to ride super super fast as some of you folks might be able to do.

Simple solution - if you live in Forest Hill and are going to be late, ride to East Croydon and meet us there - you should get there before us.

To clarify (it shouldn't need it) - departure from Cutty Sark Gardens PROMPT.

Forest Hill and East Croydon - if we get there early we won't leave before advertised time. If we get there later, we leave immediately.

Paul