Author Topic: Mont Ventoux  (Read 8167 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mont Ventoux
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:43:02 pm »
We're returned from our French holiday and my first week back at work has been nasty.  Therefore it is a joy to be able to re-live my ride up and down Mont Ventoux.  I'm going to enjoy this ...

We were camping in the Ardeche and the day before leaving the UK I worked out we were a 90 minute drive from Bedoin, one of the three starting points for an assault on Ventoux.  Having seen the Tour de France go up a few weeks before it was too good an opportunity to miss.  The Ventoux summit is at 1910 metres and starting at Bedoin gives you a 300 metre head start but it's still a 22 km climb.  The 2009 Tour passed through Bedoin so I was following in hallowed footsteps wheel marks.

The lower slopes are covered in vineyards and there was much evidence of the Tour ...

I have done a bit of alpine cycling and found the gradients aren't that bad.  It's the length of these hills that get you and it becomes a mental challenge, not a physical one.  Doubts soon flood your mind: did I have enough to eat last night?  Did I have a big enough breakfast?  Oh God, I forgot to bring some snacks with me! I wonder whether I'll be able to buy food?  Is this going to get any steeper or hotter?  How much of a dick will I look if I can't get to the top? Etc!

To make the mental challenge easier I decided to stop after every mile.  This soon dropped to every half mile after the heat started to get to me ...

By the time I set off, about mid-morning, there were lots of cyclists already coming back down.  Many passed me going up.  Most were Tour wannabes but there were a good number of mountain bikes and Dutch cyclists on trekking bikes.  I was even overtaken by a bloke running up  :o

The route is pretty straightforward: UP!  But I took my GPS with me which was a reassurance once it had recovered from it's "Bugger me, this isn't Essex!  Where the hell am I?" confusion.  

I was starting to run out of steam when finally 6 km from the top Chalet Reynard appeared like a desert oasis ...

Once I had sat myself in the right place (on the terrace where food is served) and stopped pissing off the waiters by sitting in the drinks only area  ::-) I ordered the biggest beer they had to wash down ...

Followed by ...

... and coffee.  I ate all the bread in the complimentary basket and downed the 75 cl pichet of water.

I then whipped round to the gift shop, filled up my bottles (tap cunningly hidden in the shop to get you in there) bought a Chalet Reynard / Mont Ventoux jersey and set off again.

The landscape was now classic Mont Ventoux, here was the bald giant of Provence ...

Just before the summit you come to Tommy Simpson's memorial ...

I had me photo took ...

And left Tommy a bottle as tradition dictates ...

This plaque bought a tear to my eye.  I'm a bit of a soft sod when it comes to dads and their girls.  Clearly Tommy has a couple of fine daughters, such a shame he never saw them grow up ...

A couple of rests later we were at the top ...

Time for one more photo ...

And then back down.  On went my helmet, shades and jumper.  The descent wasn't too scary, the bends are generally gentle and you easily see them coming up so can get rid of some speed before it's too late.

The ascent and descent came to 27.33 miles, it took about 3 hours to get up and 30 minutes to come down.  My maximum speed coming down was 38.9 mph and I always climb at no more than 6 mph.

It was very hot ...!

« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »
Fantastic effort, well done.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:02:14 am »

Blimey, OD, you cycled so slowly that by the time you got to the top, you needed a shave!

If you want to meet a guy that knew Tommy Simpson and still keeps in touch with his daughters, visit Dave Marsh's bike shop in Malton, near Rotherham. I bought our first tandem from him and had a brilliant natter - unusually, I said very little whilst the names of legends he'd cycled with just tripped off his tongue.

A brilliant effort, OD, but I must make a bad-taste joke.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:04:11 am »
Very droll Wow, very droll  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:08:15 am »
I've just realised: there's a nipple in that photo of you! NSFW! NSFW!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #30 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:10:31 am »
I've just realised: there's a nipple in that photo of you! NSFW! NSFW!

It was a very sweaty nipple too so if one was to suck it it would have tasted all salty  ;D 

(NB: This is an observation not an invitation)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 22 September, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »
The photos taken by one of the professional photographers that lurk on these climbs has turned up in the post.  Here is the best ...

« Reply #32 on: 22 September, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »

It was very hot ...!

How much room does that computer take up on the bars OD ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 22 September, 2009, 03:34:46 pm »
 ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #34 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:43:48 pm »
I recently found out that Dogger's Lane of this parish and a fellow mid-Essex rider is going up Ventoux in May.  I have pointed him in the direction of this thread - courage mon ami! 

It was great reading my report again - happy memories  ;D

« Reply #35 on: 18 February, 2015, 06:18:17 pm »
Did Ventoux on 1st August last year as a "I'll get this done before I'm 50" type thing. Hired a Trek Domaine in Badoin. Mrs653 drove up in stages ahead, stopped when a safe place appeared to ply me with drinks and chocolate etc. It took a very long 3h 50mins up and 25 mins down riding time but had to stop for the p-fairy's visit, which was scary. As well as being the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike, it's also by far the most satisfying. A repeat for my 60th? I hope so. And I'd encourage anyone who has the opportunity to give it a go. Magic.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #36 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:46:26 am »
I recently found out that Dogger's Lane of this parish and a fellow mid-Essex rider is going up Ventoux in May.  I have pointed him in the direction of this thread - courage mon ami! 

It was great reading my report again - happy memories  ;D

Thanks OD throughly enjoyed reading your account of the ascent and descent along with the accompanying pictures, I shall insure that I add mine post climb.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »
Planning on doing the "Cingles" (3 climbs) challenge in July.  Hotel booked in Malaucene.

« Reply #38 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:19:26 pm »
Have been looking at the Mt Ventoux climb for a while and decided this might be the year.  June would be my ideal month altho' it might have to be late summer/autumn if I'm unlucky.

Having done the Raid Pyrenean without good preparation, this winter I've been using the gym faciltities as well as road cycling.  Altho' I enjoyed the Pyrenees, fitter would have been better!    The steed will be an old steel bike, I don't have any other sort and they descend nicely.   

Any recommendations for a pleasant campsite would be welcomed.  Doesn't have to be very near.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #39 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »
I've done it 2½ times, once from Bédoin, a half from Sault and once from Malaucène. Bédoin to Chalet-Réynard is boring, muggy, fly-enriched forest even in early June, the Gorges de la Nesque to Sault are wonderful, the amble from Sault to C-R is OK, C-R to the top is a bit of a push.  From Malaucène the climb is a delight; given the right weather the scenery is great and it's open pretty well all the way.

This was the reason for the ½:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #40 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:11:05 pm »
We're staying near Ventoux in the summer, as luck would have it! Thinking of riding up once or thrice, but might run up instead or as well - depending how I feel.

Looks good, but the descents scare me.

Mike

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:10:12 pm »
The descents are really good in the main. There are only a couple of corners where you really need to break hard.

« Reply #42 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:19:34 am »
I've done it 2½ times, once from Bédoin, a half from Sault and once from Malaucène. Bédoin to Chalet-Réynard is boring, muggy, fly-enriched forest even in early June, the Gorges de la Nesque to Sault are wonderful, the amble from Sault to C-R is OK, C-R to the top is a bit of a push.  From Malaucène the climb is a delight; given the right weather the scenery is great and it's open pretty well all the way.

This was the reason for the ½:

Ideally I'd like to do the 3 routes while I am there (maybe not on the same day! :o) but I shouldn't be greedy!

As for descending, I am an experienced descender: North York Moors, Dales, Pyrenees and Alps.  My most joyous descent was of the Tourmalet going West when about 5 cars kindly pulled over for me.  The worst was also the Tourmalet going East, snow at the top then sleet and finally heavy rain.  Was I cold when I got down..  Longest, into Prades. 32 km in rain and traffic.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:33:28 am »
The descent is more 'fun' if it's windy at the top, especially at Col des Tempetes.

« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
The descent is more 'fun' if it's windy at the top.

Well they would be, wouldn't they?! ;D  A bit of lightning would be more frightning..

« Reply #45 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:22:23 am »
As mentioned elsewhere my attempt was successfully made on the 5th, from Bedoin.  Up took 2hrs 54 mins.  During the climb I was passed by almost everyone :o  They all seemed to be very keen racing types on carbon and my steel ROberts with its saddlebag and mudguards was unique.   Thanks to its makers, it performed perfectly; the only other person I saw stopping was one poor guy whose gears were giving him hell - he had a support vehicle but I never saw him again so he must have packed.  On arriving at the top the first thing I saw was someone being violently sick, something he ate on the way up probably.  Thankfully after all that effort the panoramic view was spectacular in a pleasanter way. For variety (and to find a better campsite) I did the descent  into Malaucene which was very enjoyable and must have bust 80km/h in places (I don't use a cycle computer at the moment but when I spin out at max cadence, it's about 80, from experience).   Those riding up looked a much more diverse bunch than my climbing companions but I didn't have time for a more detailed assessment.  I think I would recommend the Malaucene ascent as being  more picturesque than from Bedoin.  Although the day's temp peaked at 33c in the shade my early start meant a pleasant temperature, it was a bit chilly at the top but as I descended the temperature climbed just as fast.

I enjoyed a few more rides in the area but the intense afternoon heat (35c next day) meant it all had to pre-lunchtime, even though i tend to enjoy warm rides there are limits!   

Will post some pics when I've been able to get sorted.

« Reply #46 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:26:19 am »
The descents are really good in the main. There are only a couple of corners where you really need to break hard.
Is that obligatory ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #47 on: 10 June, 2015, 07:44:54 pm »
Is that obligatory ?

Of course not, there are no rules just do your own thing.  But don't be like this poor chap :hand:

« Reply #48 on: 10 June, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
More pics:

Bedoin

Plenty of parking.

The end in sight at last..

Tom Simpson

The top

Just got to get down round those hairy scarepins now.. :o

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #49 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:12:28 pm »
Is that obligatory ?

Dunno, ask Guy Martin.