Author Topic: Bambi 2: This Time It's Automobile  (Read 3133 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Bambi 2: This Time It's Automobile
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2008, 03:59:53 pm »
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:08:17 pm »
But is the car driver OK? I mean if they had hit a cyclist The Mail would be telling us this.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »
Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital

:sick:

and people are starving in Africa.

We're all going to hell.  :demon:
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:22:15 pm »

We're all going to hell. 

What a very strange post  ???

Thor

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:27:25 pm »
Sorry if I was unclear.  I wasn't being entirely serious, but commenting on the money, care and attention lavished on a wild animal while fellow human beings in dire straits in far-off countries are allowed to fend for themselves.  A vengeful creator might not think that very reasonable.  But I digress...

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:32:07 pm »
Sorry if I was unclear.  I wasn't being entirely serious, but commenting on the money, care and attention lavished on a wild animal while fellow human beings in dire straits in far-off countries are allowed to fend for themselves.  A vengeful creator might not think that very reasonable.  But I digress...

You might also comment on the money spent on plasma TVs, building bypasses and advertising crisps.  Having a bit of humanity and caring is a trait that probably extends to both the people who care about wild animals and the ones who support overseas famine relief etc charities.  It should be welcomed, not sneered at.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »
How could those dreadful eco-terrorist commie gay immigrant lycra louts do that? :o

Oh.

A car, you say?

Well, I hope the driver is OK after the deer collided with his vehicle.
Getting there...

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:39:11 pm »
We had a muntjac run into the pub here once.

It took one look, bleated, and ran out again.

Thor

« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2008, 05:20:45 pm »

You might also comment on the money spent on plasma TVs, building bypasses and advertising crisps.  Having a bit of humanity and caring is a trait that probably extends to both the people who care about wild animals and the ones who support overseas famine relief etc charities.  It should be welcomed, not sneered at.

OK - well I said I wasn't being serious, but you seem to want to argue.

You might also comment on the money spent on plasma TVs, building bypasses and advertising crisps. 

I might, but this thread didn't mention those, so it would hardly be pertinent.

Having a bit of humanity and caring is a trait that probably extends to both the people who care about wild animals and the ones who support overseas famine relief etc charities.

No-one suggested otherwise.  I am merely opining that humans are rather more important than animals, but that the proportion of our collective charitable expenditure on animal welfare facilities may not sufficiently reflect that.

It should be welcomed, not sneered at.

I apologise if it came across as sneering.  It's just an opinion.

Che

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
Shall I be argumentative about a discussion happening on the periphery of my attention?

Oh go on then!

I tend towards the belief that there's no such thing as just an opinion (and certainly not a humble one - was there ever such a phrase to make my blood boil). Opinions are really important, and the fact that something is 'mere' opinion, should by no means be used to brush it aside. The very phrase 'mere opinion' suggests that an opinion is something formed without careful consideration; a horrifying thought! When I assert that something is my opinion, I am making a statement of conviction, achieved after as careful a consideration as possible, of as much evidence as I can obtain. That's not to say that I always reach such heights of considered reason, but I won't commit myself so entirely as to describe something with the jealously reserved tag of 'my opinion' otherwise.

On the matter in hand, I'm delighted by MV's argument. I think I might have said something similar to Thor, but I'd have regretted it when I read MV's response. The idea that compassionate feeling has a kind of universality, and that those who would put resources into caring for animals might be those who would do likewise for human beings, and would make their sacrifices elsewhere has great appeal to me, and really wasn't something I'd thought on. Nice one.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »
t you seem to want to argue.

Not really - I just thought it odd to make that sort of comment on the Wild Things borad

I might, but this thread didn't mention those, so it would hardly be pertinent.

it's pertinent in as much as it makes little sense to identify separate components of what we spend our money on (animals, overseas aid) without considering that we  spend vastly more of it on hedonistic crap, and that diverting any of that into any sort of charitable giving should be a laudable aim.

And, no-one mentioned starving people in Africa on this thread until you did so I kind of struggle to understand why any other comparison should be excluded.

am merely opining that humans are rather more important than animals, but that the proportion of our collective charitable expenditure on animal welfare facilities may not sufficiently reflect that.

I would share the point of view that humans are more important than animals.  Bit of an open goal, that one.

Is compassion a zero-sum game, though  ?

It just seemed to me odd to put such a point of view into a thread about animal welfare on this board. 

Fi

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2008, 05:58:24 pm »
Ahem,  I once saw a Mountjac and her awfully cute baby in the woods on top of a Surrey Hill.  They stared at me as I stared at them for quite a while, until peace was disturbed by two lycra ladies  chatting at the TOPS OF THEIR VOICES and mum and baby fled.  Mounjacs are thickset and not pwetty, but the babies are gorgeous.

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:14:03 pm »
Very Cute!

We have Muntjac at our Woods - lots of little hoofprints near the watering holes.  Haven't seen a baby yet.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Really Ancien

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:46:04 pm »
Funny looking things, like a Corgi on stilts.

Damon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
Muntjacs should really be classified as vermin, like grey squirrels.  They're not native to the UK and very damaging.  And I'm at the opposite end of the kill 'em all spectrum to Tuggo.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:09:23 pm »
Yup all the gamekeepers round here are worried about the spread of Muntjacs. We have loads of native deer (probably too many) already but these are a lot more destructive.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:24:36 pm »
they are bloody tasty tho, the best of all the native breeds of deer according to the guy we sold our last house to (he was a chef, not just some random bloke talking about deer)

you need a Big Gun to shoot one though, a .22 rim-fire rifle like most farmers have isnt legally big enough.  Which is a shame.

« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »
You can use a shotgun with a rifle slug or aaa shot if its on your own land and they are doing damage. Not a very humane way to kill them though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »
Basically they eat everything the rabbits can't reach.  My parents live in the sticks and have to put big fences round anything edible - muntjacs will even tuck into roses.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.