Author Topic: Denmead?  (Read 3429 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Denmead?
« on: 01 October, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »
For as long as I can remember, there's always been an awful lot of audaxes run out of Denmead (Hants). But the calendar doesn't seem to be offering anything on the horizon - am I reading it right?

IIRC, there was always a 100 in the Autumn and another couple in Jan/Feb. But no sign for 2009. Shame as I was planning on working towards that 200 again.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Denmead?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
Yeah, you read it right, at least for 2008   :'(

There are other rides in the areas though such as the Gridiron, John Ward's New Forest rides and rides organised by Sue Coles early next year.

H

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:27:07 pm »
Speaking to Pam last Friday, she has decided against running 100km rides due to the problems she has had with them - triggered mainly by the soaking of the chairs at The Swan and the state the hall got into after the rather soggy Mulled Wine ride last year.

That is a real shame, as I'd been looking forward to them for keeping my legs turning over the winter, and possibly riding with my son.

frere yacker

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:29:18 pm »
Fear not, there are always the permanents.  I am sure it won't take too much effort to gather a band of 6+ local riders?  I'd be up for it - maybe the 300 in April?

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »
The Denmead 300 & 400 are delightful rides.  Quite, fast routes and not too lumpen

The 600 is delightful is a different way :) 

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:36:36 am »
The Faccombe Four -  Me, Lee, Keeks and ChillMoister are doing a Five Hills ride from Denmead on 7th of December if anyone wants to come along.

It takes in Portsdown Hill, Old Winchester Hill, Butser Hill, Harting Hill, Duncton Hill and a few other less noteworthy lumpy bits in between. It works out as around 138k.

For us this is a social ride combined with a chance to stop off for a pub lunch somewhere along the way. If anyone is interested I'll get the route posted up on Bikely and people could start from my place in Denmead with an early morning cuppa.

This is not a formal audax ride but perhaps a good substitute. Also its very hilly as we are all aiming to train up for the Bryan Chapman this year so need to get some climbs in our legs. It works out as equivalent to slightly more than 1 AAA point and includes 2382 meters of climbing.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Hummers

« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »
I might be up for this, diary allowing.

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2008, 10:19:54 am »

H

You are always welcome  ;D PM me your email address and I'll add you onto our distribution list when I send out the reminder and the route.

Updated - Here is the route on Bikely http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hilly-Social-Ride

Pancho

« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2008, 05:04:05 pm »
I like the tags you've used; "steep, scenic".

I think I'll pass.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2008, 04:45:19 pm »

I think I'll pass.

Come on Pancho, join us for a social.

BTW, did you get your 200 this year?  Not seem you for ages. (Denmead 100?)

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:20:15 pm »
has anyone got the route of the old Denmead-Alton-Denmead 100? I'm riding that way as part of my Dinner Dart and wondered which roads it used. I've only ever done the Whitchurch; Popham (which was the essentially same route as Whitchurch) Midhurst and Mulled Wine (to Stockbridge) 100s.

I overheard Dave P mention that one 100 will be running next year but not sure which.

Hummers

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2008, 08:40:16 am »

H

You are always welcome  ;D PM me your email address and I'll add you onto our distribution list when I send out the reminder and the route.

Updated - Here is the route on Bikely http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hilly-Social-Ride

I have some suggested tweaks to this route that make it slightly lumpier within the distance and includes The Hampshire Bowman:

Denmead tweaks

H

urban_biker

« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2008, 07:17:40 pm »
I like the changes - I don't think I have ever been that way around Buriton before. Agree that the Warnford excursion makes sense too.

Looks like fun. On a secondary note - I did my longest ride since the Denmead 400k today. It was a hilly 40k and I'm still hurting - so it appears I really need to get some miles in.

Hope you can get away Mr H

Pancho

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2008, 07:20:10 pm »

I think I'll pass.

Come on Pancho, join us for a social.

BTW, did you get your 200 this year?  Not seem you for ages. (Denmead 100?)

That route is well out of my league and no, I didn't get the 200.

But I will promise to get out on my tod between now and Christmas!

urban_biker

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2008, 07:28:52 pm »
If you can get away you are welcome to join us for part of it if you like. I don't think we'll be going at audax pace - the idea is to chat and cycle really - and I'm sure Chillmoister will want to stop and take photos etc.

Anyway - if you are aiming to build up to a 200 for 2009 I reckon it makes sense if you can find time for regular short distance cycling. My daily 7 mile each way commute is what has given me the base fitness to do 200k+ audax rides. Nothing else really.

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2008, 08:47:22 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this.  After a year spent bashing my head against an Audax wall I need a ride where the only target is some decent views and a decent pint.

Hummers

« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2008, 10:06:51 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:

I'll see if Postie is interested too.

H