Linked Events

• FNRttC: 14/11/2008: 14 November, 2008

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - 14th November  (Read 14571 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - 14th November
« Reply #50 on: 14 November, 2008, 10:54:10 am »

I hope it is open!

They don't have a landline...

I think they do - (01273)670351

I dunno if someone elsewhere is already making enquiries.

H

« Reply #51 on: 14 November, 2008, 12:30:18 pm »

I hope it is open!

They don't have a landline...

I think they do - (01273)670351

I dunno if someone elsewhere is already making enquiries.

H

If you ring that number, it comes up as 'unrecognised' - hence I called the florist who proffered the above information.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #52 on: 14 November, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »
I've sent off email and text to Simon. The number is published here.

Looking forward to a fast ride.

See some of you there.

« Reply #53 on: 14 November, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »
More on the Market Cafe.

This is the place I remember.

No sign of a telephone number anywhere though.

Looks like it changed hands as recently as October 13th so it should still be running !
Rust never sleeps

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #54 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »
I can always pop down and enquire for you if you like? Seeing as how I'm in Brighton 'n'all.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #55 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:13:48 pm »
At last - details.

New Market Diner

19-21 Circus Street
Brighton East Sussex BN2 9QF
United Kingdom

+44 (0)1273 608-273

I just tried the number and got no answer (but then if I'd been up all night I probably wouldn't answer the phone now).

But this entry appears to confirm it's open all night.
Rust never sleeps

Hummers

« Reply #56 on: 14 November, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »
I can always pop down and enquire for you if you like? Seeing as how I'm in Brighton 'n'all.

Go on then.

Make mine an egg and bacon roll with chilli sauce and mayonaise.

Cheers.

H

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #57 on: 14 November, 2008, 02:57:27 pm »
Well I popped down, and it's closed, but I'm sure it'll be open because of the fruit and veg suppliers opposite, and the young folk who might spill out of the Ocean Rooms club at the end of the road.

Let's hope the skies clear and you get a nice big fat moon to sail on down with.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Tiger

« Reply #58 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:34:08 pm »
Weather is looking good for tonite.  Home for some zzzz's first I think.

Hummers

« Reply #59 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:42:50 pm »
Let's hope the skies clear and you get a nice big fat moon to sail on down with.

If it remains overcast, I'll try to improvise.

Oh, hold on.

Damn these bib shorts!

H

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #60 on: 15 November, 2008, 04:23:37 am »
And they have now left Gatwick Costa's.....Hummers refused my offer of a room-by-the-hour at the Yotel.

Martin

« Reply #61 on: 15 November, 2008, 08:31:14 am »
just got back; how was that a November ride? almost as balmy as May's; a lot of cloud but lots of available light from the occasionally seen moon and streetlights made it very pleasant. We took the full Chipstead / Reigate / Ostrich / Ditchling route in the end. A good turnout inc 5 PBP vets and the Charlotte and Liz express which upped the pace a lot, had to dash back from Brighton as on football taxi duty; I've got someone's back light (apparently he was on the train after mine)  :-[ Blue Ribble?

Many thanks again Simon see you next year  :thumbsup:

Tiger

« Reply #62 on: 15 November, 2008, 08:50:37 am »
Apologies for no show. Family health crisis led to Friday Night Ride to Hospital instead of Brighton.
Looks like an excellent ride was had.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #63 on: 15 November, 2008, 10:32:23 am »
I'm too tired to write coherently, so all I'll say for now is:

That speed camera.

YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hummers

« Reply #64 on: 15 November, 2008, 11:15:10 am »
Excellent ride and great company.

We were 2 hours later at Brighton than planned so the ride home was scotched.

This also meant that I had to pass my tickets to the 05:45 performance of Barry Brazil & The Ladyboy Cabaret onto Riggers. Still, he will have got more enjoyment out of it than me.

H

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #65 on: 15 November, 2008, 12:34:47 pm »
I caught the tube from Kew Gardens to Victoria train station.  When I arrived, I realised (or thought I did) that I had left my keys in the ignition of the car (at Kew).

I was going to turn around, and go back but I figured that - by then - the keys would already have been there for two hours, and if we were fast, then I could be back before 06:30.  Surely, the good burghers of Kew would take pity or just be asleep.

So, I wanted a fast ride and faster train return.  Unfortunately, we had lovely weather which resulted in a large turnout.  Throw in a mechanical or two, and it turned into a pleasant pootle-ish ride.  Not the chain-gang high speed bullet it promised at the start of the week.

I bailed out of the breakfast feast and returned on the first train from Brighton.  However, there was a bit too much haste, and I caught the first train which was slow and I had to pay twice the price for the ticket.  in London, I found out that a large part of the district line was 'down'.

At about 09:30 I finally got back to Kew, and saw my car.  I also saw my keys in the ignition.  I think that the only thing missing was my memory stick on the key ring.  Phewww. 
I don't work for the MoD, so I am pretty relieved.

ps:For those who have not met him, I can confirm that Hummers is terribly handsome and a great kisser.  I was not expecting him to plant one squarely on my lips underneath Admiralty Arch.  So he may  have interpreted my reticence as rejection, I hope not - it is just that I don't normally go that far on the first date.

pps: I think that Martin was aware that Hummers has a crush on me, as Martin arranged for some fireworks at the start.  The dry ice and the kiss certainly made for a surreal start.

« Reply #66 on: 15 November, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
Well that was great. Martin's dry ice smoke at HPC. Tourist Tony being on duty at Gatwick and able to come out to say hello. The pace set by the tandem between Turners Hill and Lindfield, I don't think that I have ever experienced that section that fast before, and witnessing some really top notch wheel sucking. Rum with a drop of coffee at the greenhouses. The tandem and the speed camera, that was going some. Getting to Brighton in time for the Madeira Cafe to open.

The only significant downside was loosing JT after the first couple of miles. That was rough luck.

I'd been stuffed with cold all week and was seriously worried that I could breathe enough to manage the pace of the expected fast ride and might have to bail. As it was the renewed sore throat was a price well worth paying.

Thank you all for your company and Simon as ever for the planning and leading. See you all next year.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Martin

« Reply #67 on: 15 November, 2008, 10:38:50 pm »
the dry ice could have been better; ideally it needs a whole bucket full of very hot water and tip the granules in; a whole carpet of mist covers the floor and bubbles out, very good if you do it in an upstairs sink and let it all cascade down the stairs. I'll try to arrange a better show next time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 15 November, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »
When we had any dry ice left over from shows at Sheffield City Hall, we'd go & dump them in the fountain at the top of Fargate ;D
Getting there...

Hummers

« Reply #69 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:43:31 am »
the dry ice could have been better; ideally it needs a whole bucket full of very hot water and tip the granules in; a whole carpet of mist covers the floor and bubbles out, very good if you do it in an upstairs sink and let it all cascade down the stairs. I'll try to arrange a better show next time.

If only I could have summoned it up, I would have pissed on it to get it going again.

H

« Reply #70 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:19:44 am »
Can you imagine it, a group of people in strange garb gathered in a circle around one of their number who pisses on the floor and produces steam and smoke? And when he has finished there is only piss on the floor.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #71 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:20:37 am »
Bugger.  >:( :-[ :'( :-\

That is all.
a great mind thinks alike

Chris S

« Reply #72 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:26:24 am »
What happened JT? Isn't there usually a sweeper on these rides to mop up at the back?

« Reply #73 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:43:21 am »
There was, I think Adamski was Tail End Charlie at that point, and I was chatting to him when JTs first tyre went bang, literally, there was a 2" hole in it.

After putting the tyre on (I think) four times, JT decided that prudence was advisable, since he wasn't entirely happy with the tyre/inner tube/rim combination.  As I understand it, he had used this type of tyre on that rim before, but possibly the initial problem may have damaged something.

I think I would have done the same in his situation, the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night is the wrong place to have wheel issues.  Where we were, just outside QVC on Queenstown Road, he could walk back to Hyde Park if necessary.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #74 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
Hmm... rotten luck, but better there than when hooning it down Reigate Hill I guess.