Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628377 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7300 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:46:58 am »
Yurts can cause extensive brain damage1.  This explains the popularity of Hawkwind.

1: Trufax: Mr Larrington was once beaned by a substantial keanu while assisting in the erection of a yurt in Thetford Forest, where the wolves live.  I though the whole point of yurts was that they don't require the use of scarce wood on the Treeless SteppesTM of Yurtistan ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #7301 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
Lunch break from a day long 'Inspired To lead' training session.......

Fuck off and let me work for my living.

« Reply #7302 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:42:00 pm »
Yurts can cause extensive brain damage1.  This explains the popularity of Hawkwind.

1: Trufax: Mr Larrington was once beaned by a substantial keanu while assisting in the erection of a yurt in Thetford Forest, where the wolves live.  I though the whole point of yurts was that they don't require the use of scarce wood on the Treeless SteppesTM of Yurtistan ???
I think the point of yurts is that they are transportable and stand up to truly horrendous weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7303 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:31:37 pm »
Can't you make yurts out of whale bones too?  (though thee are perhaps scarce in yurtistan)
I think the construction of yurts is echoed in those pop up laundry baskets you can now buy.  Squidgy spiral.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7304 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:37:36 am »
Having just read the last two pages, one question:

'What. The. Fuck. Have. You. Been. Smoking. ?'

A: 'YURTS!'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7305 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »
Not to be confused with YARTS, which is not an African bum disease but rather Yosemite Area Regional Transport Something i.e. buses.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7306 on: 28 January, 2016, 01:16:05 pm »
I thought Yarts was what they had in Falmouth harbour.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7307 on: 28 January, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »
Just got a bit of my beard caught in my top front teeth.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7308 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:09:36 am »
I've got no water, hot or cold. Oh bother.

« Reply #7309 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
Can't you make yurts out of whale bones too? 

So THAT'S where the whale in the HHGTTG landed  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7310 on: 30 January, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
%&@$ing gorrillas in the LBS mounting my pedals.

Just went to swap two pairs, the ones I'd put on with greased threads, no bother to remove.  The other pair needed all my weight, nearly gave up on the left after checking several times that I was going in the right direction - I was.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7311 on: 30 January, 2016, 11:22:19 pm »
After working in a bike shop in the dim-distant past and having to deal with a couple of folk with self-loosening pedals, aiming at the top end of the torque range is cheap insurance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7312 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:04:14 am »
I ordered a replacement battery from Bruce at Ay-Up in Australia.

They ship by DHL, who provide a tracking service.
Brisbane > Hong Kong > Leipzig > East Midlands... bish > bash> bosh.... in and out each transit point in a couple of hours until the last update yesterday morning:

January 30, 2016  05:01  East Midlands - UK  Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK

The rest is silence...... welcome to the UK.  ::-)

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7313 on: 31 January, 2016, 02:03:22 pm »
Had my bodge failed then?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7314 on: 31 January, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »
Had my bodge failed then?
No David, I had two batteries, the one you fixed is still going strong, thanks. But the other battery itself has died. They have both had a lot of use over the past few years, so I've ordered a new one. Ay-Up do a customer loyalty deal giving a 25% discount on replacements.

Update? It has now spent longer sitting at East Midlands than it it took to get there from Australia.  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7315 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
Looks like I've just lost my half way stop on the Carlisle ride. Hexham is one of a number of Tesco's that's not going to be 24 hours any longer.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/12129954/tesco-24-hour-stores-no-longer-open-24-hours-where-list.html
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7316 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »
*&^@$!
For those of you who go shopping with teenaged-but-underage children: you can't buy alcohol.  This is despinte the fact that legally you can buy alcohol for children over four to drink in the home.  'Cos if the child is present then it's possible that you may be giving it to them not to rink in the home, or something.  They have to wait outside - under 10s are OK, apparently. 
See here, last para is the relevant one
I’m a parent shopping with a child with me, can I buy alcohol for myself?

We can still sell alcohol to an adult who may have their children with them, however our staff are advised to refuse the sale if they have any doubt about whether the alcohol is intended for someone under 18. This may include if they see an underage person choosing or pointing at an alcoholic product.

Please note, a store is under no obligation to sell to an individual, and as a responsible retailer The Co-operative will refuse to sell to anyone who is challenged, but who cannot prove they are over 18.
So no more educating your child by standing in front of the wine and discussing various designations etc.  Which was how we got 'caught'.

Presumably this means that when strapping grandson goes shopping with frail grandparent then the frail grandparent has to carry the shopping basket, just in case.

You has been warned.  O:-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7317 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
On a related note I have often wondered whether I'd be entitled to use a Parent-and-Child parking space when taking Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles, but the other day I actually looked at the accompanying notice; the child has to be 12 or under chiz.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7318 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:37:03 pm »
*&^@$!
For those of you who go shopping with teenaged-but-underage children: you can't buy alcohol. 

It seems that what the USAnians do we are doomed to emulate a decade or two later...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7319 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:43:26 pm »
We once had that as a group of students in Brighouse Tesco about 10 years ago. Solved by one person distracting the woman who refused to serve us while another bought the booze at another till further down.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7320 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:27:42 am »
On a related note I have often wondered whether I'd be entitled to use a Parent-and-Child parking space when taking Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles, but the other day I actually looked at the accompanying notice; the child has to be 12 or under chiz.

This must be a recent addition.  Mrs W, when in her late forties, went there with her father, who was pushing 80 at the time.  She was challenged, and told them to "go away", as they were parent and child, and her father was frail and needed to minimise the walking distance.  I do get very pissed off with all this favouring children stuff.  They've got legs, haven't they?  I parked in the parent and child spaces in my mum's doctor's surgery a few weeks ago, but was not challenged, 'cos they don't seem to have any staff that are awake, even inside the surgery...  Mum's 89.
Wombat

« Reply #7321 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
The main benefit of the parent and child spaces is supposed to be the additional space either side, which I suspect is useful if you have smaller children who need to be strapped to a car seat etc.  Once you no longer need the additional space, you shouldn't use them (probably about 6 years old for most kids).  I suspect parent and child spaces would be more useful for their actual purpose if they were situated further from the door, which would discourage their general use by people who don't need the side space.

I don't really understand the 'special spaces by the doors' thing.  Yes, disabled spaces should be by the door, for obvious reasons, but parent and child spaces don't need to be.  Personally, I'm a lazier parker than walker, so I'll park in a drive-though space at the other end of the car park and walk across rather than spend 5 minutes parking in a space where I can't open the doors once I'm in.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #7322 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:40:04 am »
The reason P&C spaces tend to be near to the building is because they also have paths associated with them, usually running between two rows of parking spaces, to maximise car park availability it is easier to have the spaces that need a path (P&C and disabled) near to the doors than have to have a non vehicle route from the far side of the car park to the shop door.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7323 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:00:49 pm »
also better to have less risk aware mini-people not walking through the car park, but generally straight onto the forecourt.

I don't use those spaces with my daughter, but do tend to with my son who has some mobility issues and can be harder to get in/out of the car.  The blue badge tends to stay in the other car (but I don't like driving that one)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7324 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:54:35 pm »
Gah! GERS is being replaced with Concur  :facepalm:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)