Author Topic: How long does pitta bread freeze for ?  (Read 7086 times)

How long does pitta bread freeze for ?
« on: 11 November, 2008, 10:01:45 am »
I just found a packet of wholemeal pitta bread at the back of teh freezer. It says eat by October 2006 or within one month of freezing. I wonder if it will be OK to eat ...

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

Re: How long does pitta bread freeze for ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:02:59 am »
Wont hurt you if nothing's growing on it, but it may well be a bit stale. Try it and see.

annie

« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:04:17 am »
I just found a packet of wholemeal pitta bread at the back of teh freezer. It says eat by October 2006 or within one month of freezing. I wonder if it will be OK to eat ...

Personally I would bin it but I have a better idea.  Eat it and let me know if there are any nasty effects ;)  I would have thought that the nutritional content of the pitta bread would now be questionable but really have no idea.  

If all else fails can you use it as a weapon?

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:05:40 am »
Until defrosted!  :thumbsup:

It'll be a tasteless slice of something that is almost but not quite like pitta bread (or cardboard).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:54:35 am »
I keep food in my freezer for as long as I fancy.
Your pitta won't harm you. It won't taste as nice as a pitta straight off a production oven but you knew that anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:55:20 am »
Until defrosted!  :thumbsup:

It'll be a tasteless slice of something that is almost but not quite like pitta bread (or cardboard).

Cardboadhydrate??

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:56:20 am »
Be rayt.

Subtitles are available for those not in the South Yorkshire region. Press the red button on your remote.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2008, 11:00:20 am »

Really Ancien

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2008, 11:07:07 am »
The important thing about freezing is that the item is well wrapped, the atmosphere in a freezer is completely dry and dessicates anything not covered.

Damon.

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2008, 11:21:37 am »
Still sealed in its plastic packaging from the supermarket. Must have been a BOGOF when I bought it.

Really Ancien

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2008, 11:49:58 am »
They'll be alright then. Stuff with fats in tends to go a bit rancid, so naan bread might be a bit suspect. It's little known today but historically bread used to be baked all in one go, dried, kept for the whole year before the next harvest and moistened to make it edible, like ship's biscuits.

Damon.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:42:18 pm »
They'll be alright then. Stuff with fats in tends to go a bit rancid, so naan bread might be a bit suspect. It's little known today but historically bread used to be baked all in one go, dried, kept for the whole year before the next harvest and moistened to make it edible, like ship's biscuits.

Damon.

British Rail used to do that with their sandwiches.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2008, 01:39:54 pm »
Well I toated them a bit and ate them (two out of the six anyway).  A bit tastless but since they were just something to scoop up teh homous with who cares ? Now lets wait and see if I die :)

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2008, 10:18:53 am »
Well I'm not dead so now we know. Two years in the freezer is fine for sealed pitta bread.

« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2008, 06:06:19 pm »
It's little known today but historically bread used to be baked all in one go, dried, kept for the whole year before the next harvest and moistened to make it edible, like ship's biscuits.
Bread, but not as we know it

I gather that they used to save on the washing up by using the bread as a plate to eat soup or stew out of first.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2008, 06:08:55 pm »
My local is doing 6 packs of wholemeal pitta for £1. Best before is Saturday. Want me to post them to you? Probably last you a few days.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium