Author Topic: Bikes that 'Don't want to be built'  (Read 3043 times)

Bikes that 'Don't want to be built'
« on: 07 August, 2020, 02:23:49 pm »
Does anybody else get the syndrome where a bike seems to be fighting against you trying to build it?

I've wanted a proper touring bike for a long while. I bought a Dawes Galaxy frame (with a number of parts) a few years ago and have had several attempts to complete it. It always seems to be harder work than any other bike I have built.

I thought I wanted it as a flat bar bike - built it up with mostly late 90's XT stuff (because it works well and I had some) - it just didn't feel right.

I bought 3x8 road levers so I could use drops - this meant changing from the 'V' brakes, so I bought some good quality modern canti brakes  - the front canti bosses were too close together to use them.  >:( - luckily I had been tidying the workshop, and had found some older 'wide stance'  (Shimano BR AT50) cantis that I didn't realise I had.

While building it, every little thing seemed to be against me - putting the brakes on - first I hd got the left and right springs mixed up (so the brakes sprung on rather than off), then I had one of the spring ends in the wrong hole on the canti boss, each time the screws had to be undone and redone, and the whole assembly seemed to go in a similar manner.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Re: Bikes that 'Don't want to be built'
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2020, 02:36:24 pm »
It's not green is it? Not known much to stump you old thing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2020, 04:56:18 pm »
Yes, green.

I took it for a roll around the block, but had to replace a bottlecage that had snapped - that's a brand new, unused bottlecage.  >:(

I made a dymano to USB system for it. Can I find it - can I buggered...  >:( >:( >:(

Pictures when it's finiished - maybe never...   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2020, 05:29:09 pm »
John, have you read your strapline recently?

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »
Green eh....Oooooooo
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:25:37 am »
I am supposed to be turning my Revell Romany back into a geared bike for shopping.  I have some bits.  Handlebars, stem, brake levers, thumb shifter, derailleur and possibly a freewheel if I can get it off the manky old wheel it's currently attached to.  Current progress: 0.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2020, 11:21:56 pm »
^ Because gears suck n anything that isn't laidback or made for racing.  I pulled the twins + trailer on a fixed and the cargo bike would be better without gears*.

I spent about a decade trying to turn a second hand bike into something that I would ride.  It's now FS.

* My wife suggests this may be a lie.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:21:56 am »
I do have both a Perfectly Good Gentleman's Fixed-Gear Bicycle and a Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle, but neither of them can tow my Yak BoB trailer.  And it's uphill all the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles, and I'm a fat idle bastard in a very poor state of repair.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2020, 06:55:23 pm »
The Gharge Grater that was going to be my ebike* has finally emerged from the car crash of lockdown as a conventional Alfine 11 with TRP HyRd brakes. I can't find any love for it whatsoever. Along with the Fisher 229, Giant OCR, a pair of Trek 950s and anything else i use to be proud of. I just don't want to ride any more...

*Having spent around 5 years looking for a reliable, consistent source of ebike conversions I've given up. They're shite, spares are like getting blood out of a stone and when the punters break them I can't fix them again.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2020, 05:55:16 pm »
The front light on the Galaxy kept pinginging apart, so I took the opporunity to fir a connector, bridge rectifier, and brighter LED light. It all worked, but after I took it for a nightime test ride, The rear didn't.

I took the rear lamp apart today, and it smelled of magic smoke.  :(

Bunged some red LED striplight in the casing instead of the buckpuck and single LED.  :thumbsup:

Also found the charging unit and am able to charge USB power-banks from it.  :D

...and took some pictures for those that Can-hardly wait.  ;D

...yes, that's a 63cm frame.  :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:46:53 pm »
I do have both a Perfectly Good Gentleman's Fixed-Gear Bicycle and a Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle, but neither of them can tow my Yak BoB trailer.  And it's uphill all the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles, and I'm a fat idle bastard in a very poor state of repair.

You need to have Words with Mr Sainsbury.  He put our toothy comestibles emporium at the top of the hill, which (as I had cause to explain to a recent e-bike convert who was gawping in disbelief at the amount of shopping I was loading into the trailer) is a much better arrangement.

« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2020, 09:58:10 pm »
I just took the Galaxy out for a nighttime tryout, and the rear, dymano powered light has failed again.  >:(

« Reply #12 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:18:09 pm »
I think I may have the opposite, or a less malevolent version of it. Not so much a bike that doesn't want to be built, but a bike that shows ever sign of convincing me its fine without me messing with it.

A chap (lives over the road with an MTB habit) offered me a Raleigh Airlite 100* road bike before it went to the dump. As was running out of space he was good enough to swap it for an old Dawes skip bike I'd failed to find a home or use for. So I fitted the chain he had also given me, put on some spare clipless pedals and a stem the right length and tested it with a spare front wheel.

and its great, I really like it just as it is I was thinking about making it a winter bike, but I'm not sure now as I'm worried it might spoil it.

Perhaps I'm too hung up on the fact the saddle was at the right height for me when it arrived.

*Ali semi compact framed, 8 Speed Shimano no name, billed as a first time road bike.