Author Topic: How do you make scrambled eggs?  (Read 20390 times)

Re: How do you make scrambled eggs?
« Reply #125 on: 17 December, 2020, 11:16:27 am »
No faffing here. Melt a little ( half teaspoonful) butter in a small nonstick frying pan, two eggs and approx 2 tablespoons of full fat milk. Start stirring immediately, breaking and mixing yolks in with egg whites and milk. As soon as there's no runny egg, server on pre warmed plate with a slice of ham. Salt and pepper to taste. Takes 3 minutes to cook, 1 minute to eat. Eat to live. It's fuel.

« Reply #126 on: 17 December, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »
No faffing here. Melt a little ( half teaspoonful) butter in a small nonstick frying pan, two eggs and approx 2 tablespoons of full fat milk. Start stirring immediately, breaking and mixing yolks in with egg whites and milk. As soon as there's no runny egg, server on pre warmed plate with a slice of ham. Salt and pepper to taste. Takes 3 minutes to cook, 1 minute to eat. Eat to live. It's fuel.

Why not make an omelette then, even quicker  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #127 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:08:51 pm »
Wanna bet. My wife thinks I'm a heathen, she takes great care making scrambled eggs. She makes a posh omlette. Then calls it a fritata. Probably wrong spelling there. It's basically scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and ham or chorizo. I digress . It's not important how one cooks their own scrambled eggs as long as you enjoy it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #128 on: 17 December, 2020, 04:31:46 pm »
It's not important how one cooks their own scrambled eggs as long as you enjoy it.

Yes - to go back to why I started this thread, it's not so much about finding a definitive 'correct' answer as being interested in why people use the methods they do. A lot of it comes down to what you look for in the finished dish, whether you prefer your eggs light and fluffy or rich and creamy, dry or runny, that kind of thing. And that's just a question of preference, not right or wrong. But scrambled eggs seems to be one of those things that people get very dogmatic about.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #129 on: 17 December, 2020, 05:06:07 pm »
Butter melted in the pan, eggs whisked with a dash of double cream and some ground pepper.

The egg imo needs to be cooked until the very early signs of solidification show, then turn off the heat and stir briefly before electing to stand for a minute or so.  I prefer my scrambled eggs not to "set".

A rich tomato ketchup or tomato chutney sets off sourdough toast and scrambled eggs a treat.

citoyen

« Reply #130 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:30:15 pm »
I had my scrambled eggs drizzled with truffle oil this morning. Yum!

The truffle oil came in a Christmas foodie gift hamper, seems like as good a use for it as any.

« Reply #131 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:48:12 pm »
  I prefer my scrambled eggs not to "set".

I recall Anthony Worrall Thompson characterising Delia Smiths (unset) scrambled eggs as “baby sick”  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #132 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:20:41 am »
Frying pan with a dash of garlicky olive oil.
Nothing else added.
Served with a generous squirt of tomato ketchup.

« Reply #133 on: 25 January, 2021, 01:50:00 pm »
I don't mind mine done in the pan or microwave but the way I hate them is the way they do them in every hotel in the world - rubbery.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #134 on: 25 January, 2021, 02:16:06 pm »
I don't mind mine done in the pan or microwave but the way I hate them is the way they do them in every hotel in the world - rubbery.

You need to up your hotel game. I've had some truly excellent scrambled eggs in hotels.

They're usually fine as long as they're freshly made to order. I imagine you're thinking of the Premier Inn-style breakfast buffet, with eggs made in bulk and left steaming under the lid of their stainless steel serving tray, ending up both rubbery and swimming in water, and not even a liberal coating of brown sauce can make them edible.  :sick:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #135 on: 26 January, 2021, 02:02:57 pm »

If you think hotel scrambled eggs are bad you don't want try hospital versions thereof!   :sick:

That said, when I stayed the night in one of our hospitals the scrambled eggs were excellent... the advantage of having a chef and kitchen preparing things from fresh.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #136 on: 26 January, 2021, 02:12:02 pm »

You need to up your hotel game. I've had some truly excellent scrambled eggs in hotels.

They're usually fine as long as they're freshly made to order. I imagine you're thinking of the Premier Inn-style breakfast buffet, with eggs made in bulk and left steaming under the lid of their stainless steel serving tray, ending up both rubbery and swimming in water, and not even a liberal coating of brown sauce can make them edible.  :sick:

Always go to the 'egg station' where the little cheflette will cook your eggs under your keen supervision (or you can wander off to battle with the coffee robot). I avoid the hot buffet on account of it's curious lukewarm nature. I'm not sure what route baked beans take to China, but they didn't benefit from it.

That said, I normally just take all the baguettes and all the cheese and construct numerous cheese sandwiches.

« Reply #137 on: 03 March, 2021, 10:04:58 am »
2 duck eggs scrambled with butter, mixed with some diced ham & a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes.   :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #138 on: 04 November, 2021, 07:42:46 am »
Today I added celery to them. The celery was okay but would have been better chopped up a little smaller. But, probably for reasons unconnected with the celery, the eggs themselves were perfect. Wonderful texture and no sticking. Really not sure how I did it.  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #139 on: 04 November, 2021, 08:29:29 am »
The Inlaw Paw's recipe: Take six large eggs and smash them against the wall...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #140 on: 04 November, 2021, 08:57:52 am »
As Andy, but a dash of double cream instead of milk (it's a keto thing).

The magic is in the stirring like mad, on and off the heat to keep a creamy constituency.

My heathern side sometimes adds some grated cheese...

« Reply #141 on: 04 November, 2021, 09:24:51 am »
Today I added celery to them. The celery was okay but would have been better chopped up a little smaller. But, probably for reasons unconnected with the celery, the eggs themselves were perfect. Wonderful texture and no sticking. Really not sure how I did it.  :-\

Celery seeds toasted first in the pan are successful, too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #142 on: 04 November, 2021, 09:28:07 am »
I've never tried celery seeds. In fact I don't think I've ever seen them. Where do you get them? But the root is the overlooked best part of the celery IMO (never tried it in scrambled egg though; not yet!)

« Reply #143 on: 04 November, 2021, 10:44:03 am »
I thought most supermarkets stock on the spice shelf, but a quick search didn't turn it up in Tesco or Sainsbo, it's a great staple for adding on soups to lift the flavour. And, aren't you talking about Celeriac? That's not actually the celery root.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #144 on: 04 November, 2021, 11:13:47 am »
It's the root of a variety of celery, I thought?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #145 on: 04 November, 2021, 11:35:38 am »

Yes, céleri-rave here. Celeriac in English.

All of a sudden I'm thinking of Milton' chum Skinner.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #146 on: 04 November, 2021, 02:36:46 pm »
*note to self: never allow Cudzo to make scrambled eggs for you*

« Reply #147 on: 04 November, 2021, 04:39:41 pm »

True, but Celeriac isn't from edible celery and edible celery root isn't edible. They are varieties, thobut.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #148 on: 04 November, 2021, 04:45:20 pm »
*note to self: never allow Cudzo to make scrambled eggs for you*

True, but Celeriac isn't from edible celery and edible celery root isn't edible. They are varieties, thobut.
Well Citoyen, now I know what sort of scrambled eggs I should make you.  :demon:

Ham, didn't realise they were that different. Celery is obviously a more interesting plant than I suspected!

« Reply #149 on: 04 November, 2021, 04:58:12 pm »
If I remember correctly, the taxonomy (as in the latin behind Celery/Celeriac) is derived from which part you eat. Oh, and celery can be bloody awkward to grow.