Author Topic: Hammocks  (Read 3028 times)

Hammocks
« on: 05 October, 2020, 02:16:50 pm »
I'm planning a night out in Kielder Forest this coming weekend and find myself considering taking a trap and hammock rather than the tent.

So at this time of year in a hammock should a Matt be used or is there no need?

Re: Hammocks
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2020, 10:38:16 pm »
Yes, you'll need some insulation underneath you.

Mats insulate OK, but they can migrate out from underneath you during the night if you are a restless sleeper, so you wake up cold, with the mat up the side of the hammock. You don't need a soft/thick mat, so closed cell foam mats similar to this are fine, and can be found in Wilkos and similar places, though it's not really the season for finding one locally. I'd be inclined to consider two taped together edge to edge in order to get round the moving out from under problem. It would be a bit bulky to carry though.

Some hammocks have pockets to keep a mat below you (a double-layer over the bottom).
Some people use quilts suspended underneath the hammock on elastics (needs to be a relatively close fit, rather than hanging loose with a big gap).

Have you considered using a bothy? (all closed due to covid)

Another thought - there may be a suitable double-side removable tape you can use to keep a mat in place.

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:43:42 am »
A couple of weeks ago my bottom got very cold.

I was sleeping in  a hammock.

« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:38:09 pm »
I've been look at some outdoor sites online at work today which have all emphasised the need for bottom insulation.  The consensus seems to favour purpose made under quilts, I’m not going to rush out and buy one of those at this stage but I have been outside this evening experimenting with sleeping mats.

The Thermarest prolite mat is just too slippy and moves around all over the place but the cheap Mountain Warehouse equivalent seems more inclined to stay put. 

I tried improvising a bottom quit using a cheap square sleeping bag and some cloths pegs but the mat seem to work beter.

Anyway, I’m still planning a 2 day ride with the hammock, the forecast is 4C and clear skies so I might even get away without using the trap, (though it’s still coming with me). 

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2020, 09:58:47 am »
I really enjoy hammock camping. It's good fun and a real novelty for mini GC. However, I don't find it to be a lighter option. Once you factor in the tarp, the hammock, under quilt and sleeping bag/quilt.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2020, 10:39:45 am »
If people want a cheap but robust hammock, I can recommend the Prometheus Design Werx hammocks.  They can cope with a lardarse like me...  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2020, 10:15:46 pm »
I really enjoy hammock camping. It's good fun and a real novelty for mini GC. However, I don't find it to be a lighter option. Once you factor in the tarp, the hammock, under quilt and sleeping bag/quilt.

Yes, I've rapidly discovered for myself that it isn't a lighter option.

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2020, 09:25:56 pm »
I quite enjoyed my night out in the hammock. The self inflating matt was a pain but when I tried to do without I quickly got a cold bum, the under-quilt is probably the way forward.

Loverly to wake up to the view in the photo below.

IMG_0444 by Joe B, on Flickr

IMG_0449 by Joe B, on Flickr

« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2020, 09:02:09 am »
looks fun. Nice spot.

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:07:50 pm »

Yes, I've rapidly discovered for myself that it isn't a lighter option.

Whilst it’s not the lightest option I personally think it’s the most flexible option for wild camping.

The problem with tents is you need a flat space, yet I’ve had the hammock up on slopes I could hardly stand up on, bits of scrub land by the roadside and in plenty of woodland where there was no chance of pitching a tent.

I’d go for the hammock every time over a tent or bivvy, you defiantly need some form of insulation underneath though (as you do in a tent).