Author Topic: Interval vs maximal training?  (Read 8847 times)

Re: Interval vs maximal training?
« Reply #25 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:41:42 am »
If you can find somewhere to do a 20 minute test then you might be able to get a better FTP result outside than in, but finding somewhere that you can pedal hard without stopping/coasting for 20 minutes is quite tricky. 1 hour of normalized power is not a FTP test, though it might give a rough indication.

Re: Interval vs maximal training?
« Reply #26 on: 10 December, 2020, 03:15:55 pm »
Oh well - you were all right, of course. Just started a new TR block with a ramp test which gave an FTP of 243, so significantly over the last one.  Surprising, as I haven't done any structured training over the last few weeks - just a couple of longish rides and messing about with VR apps.

I think some of it has to do with getting used to the ramp test itself. This time I made a concerted effort to slightly accelerate into each new level to avoid the sudden "drag", and of course the ear-bleeding tunes and caffeine.

I've long given up on the IQ2 debacle, so fitted a 4iiii left power crank (black Friday deal) to the Van Nic, so both road bikes now show power, which will make the coming year more stat-filled than ever  ;D

EDIT: I can confirm that the TR sessions are considerably more "challenging" since the increased FTP  ::-) ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping