Author Topic: Cross body straps for DSLR  (Read 4989 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Cross body straps for DSLR
« on: 23 January, 2021, 06:36:59 pm »
I'm thinking about getting one.
Anybody got any recommendations (or ones to avoid?)
I note you can pay £20-25 for something on Amazon or >3x that from a camera accessories brand...
Cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Cross body straps for DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:38:03 pm »
I'm thinking about getting one.
Anybody got any recommendations (or ones to avoid?)
I note you can pay £20-25 for something on Amazon or >3x that from a camera accessories brand...
Cheers  :thumbsup:

Why not get a normal one and keep telling it bad jokes?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
 ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2021, 02:12:46 pm »
If you haven't already tried it, you can use a standard strap, like the ones that come with a camera, and wear across the the body, like a shoulder bag. Which is what I do.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2021, 02:46:03 pm »
Thanks hubner, I have been doing that but find it gets stuck when I want to access the camera really quickly, such as when some exciting wildlife appears momentarily in a blink and you'll miss it sort of way.

« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2021, 04:00:03 pm »
In ancient times when cycletourists used compact and half-frame cameras (that were a lot more compact than your dslr but probably no lighter) the technique used was to have the normal camera strap as a halter round the neck with the camera held close to the chest by a strap passing round the user's back. Given a suitable clip (like a dog leash clip for example) the camera could be released to be brought to the eye very quickly (and reattached equally quickly, useful for chasing after a fast moving group). Whether you would find the bulk of the dslr uncomfortable for this method I can't tell (I would be more worried about the damage costs in an accident or fall).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2021, 04:10:34 pm »
I like Couch Guitar Straps. They have some made from recycled seatbelts. So they are wide enough, quite comfy. And quick to slide up and down your shoulder to use the camera.
Not too expensive, but will add on a bit for postage and import fees.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2021, 05:24:18 pm »
In ancient times when cycletourists used compact and half-frame cameras (that were a lot more compact than your dslr but probably no lighter) the technique used was to have the normal camera strap as a halter round the neck with the camera held close to the chest by a strap passing round the user's back. Given a suitable clip (like a dog leash clip for example) the camera could be released to be brought to the eye very quickly (and reattached equally quickly, useful for chasing after a fast moving group). Whether you would find the bulk of the dslr uncomfortable for this method I can't tell (I would be more worried about the damage costs in an accident or fall).

Thanks, but it's not for cycling, and I don't like the weight of the strap on the back of my neck, which is why I'm going cross-body. So Amazon should be bringing me one of these tomorrow.
https://customslr.com/products/glide-strap

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »
I've just searched for camera straps for cyclists and seen Black Rapid recommended on various forums.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=black+rapid+camera+strap+cyclist&iax=images&ia=images

There are a few different formats, including a long strap worn over the shoulder, either with or without a stabiliser strap. Another type is a harness with clips at waist level for cameras. A camera on the hip seems sub-optimal for cycling. Some kind of chest rig might be better though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2021, 08:26:00 pm »
The Black Rapid curve breathe made it to the last two for consideration but ultimately I decided I preferred the design of the camera to sling attachment arrangement of the CustomSLR model.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:31:55 pm »

This post got me thinking that I'd like a chest bag for carrying a compact camera while I'm cycling or walking. 'Chest rigs' are a thing, it seems. They take the form of a pouch a little larger than a bumbag with a neck strap and a chest strap for stability. They're fashionable among young men as a sort of man bag and so they're readily available. Ordered one and will be trying it out soon.

« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »
The "Rolls Royce" of outdoor camera carrying were the Camera Care Systems padded pouches, which could be worn on a hip belt or shoulder harness.  The company is sadly defunct, but 2nd hand stuff is still available on Ebay.   These days I just carry an X100 slung over my shoulder on a thin neoprene strap. 

When I carried an SLR & spare lenses they were fine in a bar bag over rough terrain (Iceland & India), but not the best for instant access.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark