Author Topic: Reading images off an EOS-1D MkII  (Read 3549 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Reading images off an EOS-1D MkII
« on: 10 May, 2021, 11:08:25 pm »
I've got my hands, temporarily, on a Canon EOS-1D.

I rattled a few frames through it. I can see them on the (tiny) LCD screen when pressing Display and scroll through them by pressing Select and twiddling the wheel.

However when I plug the camera into my Ubuntu machine via USB or put the SD card directly into it there are no images. I can't even see a date related folder.

I've yet to try it on a windows machine and suspect it may be a formatting issue or some proprietary protection of some sort.  Meanwhile, any clues?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Reading images off an EOS-1D MkII
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2021, 05:45:56 am »
Canon products are notorious for their lack of Linux-friendliness. I have a Canon printer bought in 2005 or 2006, still working now. The only way I managed to make it works with Linux machines is to run a virtual machine within the Linux OS, run an old Windows xp on the virtual machine, and send PDF files of everything I wish to print to a shared public storage space. A very fine printer otherwise :)

A

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Reading images off an EOS-1D MkII
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2021, 01:04:51 pm »
Cracked it (for one card at least). They had been placed in a folder which had been created by using the card in a different camera, so I assumed the photos in it were all from that camera.

Must look under things in future. #boy_looking.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)