Author Topic: Compost bin from pallets  (Read 1695 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Compost bin from pallets
« on: 16 December, 2008, 06:39:03 pm »
I've finally managed to source enough pallets and horse manure to make building a double bin worth while.

But it's occured to me how does the stuff stay inside the pallets? It's pretty full of sawdust and I don't reckon the sheer weight as the pile grows will keep inside the pallets.

Does one line it with something?
A shitter and a giggler.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Compost bin from pallets
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2008, 07:38:59 pm »
It's got to breathe a bit, I'm just going to pile it up and let the natural tangliness of garden waste hold it together...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:10:23 pm »
Last one we made was a triumph of engineering genius using a crowbar, a hammer and some nails. We pried all the planks off the pallets except for the most outerly ones, we then re-applied said planks with very small gaps between them. The result being 5 Heath Robinsonesque fence panels and some firewood. The panels were put together thus:

|_|_| (plan view)

and the whole thing was carried across the garden to it's final resting place - this will provide entertainment for any neighbours you may have, or you might want to consider creating in-situ.

We had a couple of pieces of plywood at the front of each bay with a neat sliding mech (grooves) using some of the waste wood.

The closer spacing of the planks and the front bits kept all the compost in the bins and also prevented rats from nesting in them.

The excess wood got split as kindling and chucked in the wood shed where the rats had taken refuge  :(.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:04:36 am »
I've seen them lined with carpet and stuff and given how much sawdust is in the manure i'm collecting i may well try and fill the gaps with something otherwise i feel sure it will be washed away.

a cover seems like a good idea and a front for that matter.
A shitter and a giggler.