Author Topic: Moules  (Read 2029 times)

Treewheeler

Moules
« on: 19 July, 2008, 03:07:21 pm »
3.60 euros per kilo down on the seafood waterfront stalls.
I eat 2 kilos because I can but normally 1.7 kilos for 2 persons.
You now need.
1 small glass of dry white wine.
A couple of small shallots cut fine
Parsley and pepper.
Keep lid on pot to steam the moules until all are open.
Takes 3-5 min.
Discard those what don't open.
 Bon appitite!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Moules
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2008, 03:23:40 pm »
Darn you just made me soooo hungry, and don't forget a good bottle of beer to go with that.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2008, 06:02:16 pm »
Darn you just made me soooo hungry, and don't forget a good bottle of beer to go with that.

No!  A bottle of Pouilly Fume goes best with moules.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:33:22 pm »
You can't eat moles!

Oh sorry, I misread.

Last moules I ate, in Le Havre while watching a criterium, were washed down with  a good white Burgundy. We were enjoying ourselves so much we nearly missed a second ferry.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »
I Prefer a good yeasty but not (puke) cloudy Belgian Trippel beer

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2008, 12:37:23 pm »
You have a big appetite there, Tuggo!

We find that 1Kg (in the shell) is quite enough for two people, three if you add a side dish.  Our recipe is more or less the same as yours, (indeed is there a better way of cooking moules?) except that I think my wife chops a small amount of fresh tomato into the liquor.  One has to be careful not to overdo the herbs and seasoning - in fact hardly any required.  And we eat them with lashings of garlic bread, but once again going easy on the garlic...

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:46:01 pm »
Frites?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

goatpebble

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2008, 07:05:26 pm »
Almost a year ago we ended a long and interesting route across the Valais, from Andermatt to Lake Geneva. After we had found a campsite, showered and changed into clothes which did not make us smell like rancid goat, we found a simple cafe. Moules and endless chips, salad, too many beers, and for not much more than a tenner each.

It seemed stupidly cheap. Our table looked across the water, and we had a good meal, which we could not really enjoy, because it meant that our walk, and all the high passes, might now just be memories. If we had the chance, then we would have wanted to just start again.

After that we just had the nostalgia for Travel-lunch, with ice forming on our tent.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:11:07 pm »
Years ago, I remember staying somewhere along the south coast in France and having a lovely cheesy moule concoction.  I've never seen anything similar since.  Anyone got any ideas for a recipe?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:32:28 pm »
A couple of years ago I was out duck hunting with a friend. Not much luck in that department so we raked in some mussels. Cooked them up on the stove with wine and garlic and ate them with samphire as the sun was setting over Chichester Harbour. A good meal which also involved some whisky...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:15:42 am »
So visit to the abbey in Croydon then?

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:20:22 am »
Moules du Chili Congelées is the way to go. Yummy.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tiger

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:49:41 pm »
We had moules in an oyster creek on the West Coast of France - moules set end up in a spiral on a wood board and then covered in a big mound of pine needles. Pine needles sety on fire - glorious 2m high flaming pyre for about a minute then the ashes brushed off. Moules then eaten with Muscadet and frites. 
Awesome.  satsifies all the senses. I think the cornish do something similar with straw.

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:32:40 pm »
Moules marinieres is just lovely; and so simple!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse