Author Topic: Creamy Poached Calves Brain smoothie  (Read 6067 times)

Re: Creamy Poached Calves Brain smoothie
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:00:46 am »
I know a good restaurant near Bezier that is a butchers by day and a restaurant by night. Not one for the veggies amongst us. Has quite a few challenging dishes for the English palate.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pete

Re: unspeakable, uneatable
« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:15:11 am »
Now ... I recall episodes from my early childhood ... that I wish I hadn't.

My father occasionally used to bring home some disgusting stuff that I think was calf's brains.  He had a penchant for that sort of thing.  I mistook it for cauliflower, on my plate, at first.  On being enlightened by my parents, I was nauseated, as well I might, and most folks on here would have been.  However, parenting being - what it was - in those days in the 1950s, I was forced to gulp down the muck - if I left stuff on the plate I got a beating.  I probably threw it up afterwards, but wasn't punished for that...

I think that there were at times, other horrors on the dinner table besides this.

I think I've said enough.  Can we now lay this nauseating thread to rest?

Tiger

« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »
Andouillette...
Pigs rectum sausage smoked over oak chips and when heated up smells like a pig farm after heavy rain...

Andouillette is indeed quite possibly the most foul thing ever created and passed off as food. I can still remember eating one years ago - in the hope that it was just an aquired taste. It leaves a foul lingering aftertaste of pigpoo or skanky meat.  Only a Frencperson would eat such filth.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:06:31 pm »
I imagine some pretty odd pieces of animal go into cheap sausages and meat pies ("100% beef" means it came from a cow, no more, no less) but once they're minced and well flavoured, you don't notice.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:20:53 pm »
Andouillette...
Pigs rectum sausage smoked over oak chips and when heated up smells like a pig farm after heavy rain...

Andouillette is indeed quite possibly the most foul thing ever created and passed off as food. I can still remember eating one years ago - in the hope that it was just an aquired taste. It leaves a foul lingering aftertaste of pigpoo or skanky meat.  Only a Frencperson would eat such filth.

I've only eaten it once, and it was helpfully hidden in a gratin.  It tastes okay, but it smells like sewers, which is slightly offputting. 

« Reply #30 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:09:52 am »
Andouillette defeated me too. That and the duck's gizzard sallad.

« Reply #31 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:17:30 am »
Hmm... andouillette :-) You're making me fancy a trip to France!

Tiger

« Reply #32 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:24:18 am »

Gizzards are OK I reckon - they are one of the things I buy loads of when we go to France for shopping as they are not found much here. Over there any good supermarket has vacuum packed gizzards ready to toss into ones salad.

« Reply #33 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:48:25 am »
I know a good restaurant near Bezier that is a butchers by day and a restaurant by night. Not one for the veggies amongst us. Has quite a few challenging dishes for the English palate.

Where's that? Thanks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:56:41 am »

I've seen Liz and Phil cheerfully eat this  :sick:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #35 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:56:49 am »
La Boucherie

Searching for  a web page for it revealed on another forum that the owners retired last year and now it is is rented out to another restaurateur so it may not be as good as it used to be.

« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2008, 12:31:47 pm »
I ate a snail yesterday, never had one before. Tasted like soil.   Seemed a shame to waste it since I trod on it in the dark after coming home pissed.

« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »
La Boucherie

Searching for  a web page for it revealed on another forum that the owners retired last year and now it is is rented out to another restaurateur so it may not be as good as it used to be.

Many thanks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 29 August, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »
Andouillette defeated me too.

IRTA.. Oh never mind!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #39 on: 01 September, 2008, 02:05:14 pm »
I've only eaten it once, and it was helpfully hidden in a gratin.  It tastes okay, but it smells like sewers, which is slightly offputting

Hell, you don't even need meat for that.  Ever tried a Durian?  Smells of sewers, tastes of boiled onions, and possibly almonds, with the consistency of slightly fibrous custard.  I'm being generous here, you understand?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #40 on: 01 September, 2008, 04:12:45 pm »
I have tired durian :sick:  I couldn't get the taste from my mouth for the rest of the day.  It's amazing how smelly (non-rotten) fruit can be.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tiger

« Reply #41 on: 01 September, 2008, 04:46:30 pm »
I have tired durian :sick:  I couldn't get the taste from my mouth for the rest of the day.  It's amazing how smelly (non-rotten) fruit can be.

I thought  durian was one of the finest things I have ever eaten.  It smells no worse than brie which also tastes simply wonderful.

« Reply #42 on: 01 September, 2008, 09:30:29 pm »
Durian smell of rotting meat ! Thai airports have big posters up telling you in no uncertain terms you cant bring one on a plane.

Tiger

« Reply #43 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:24:10 am »
Brie smells of long dead things too. But tastes heavenly. Always makes me think - who was the first person, who onsmelling something so totally vile it makes you want to gag, thinks 'Hmm - I bet that tastes good!'.
In Iceland they like to eat rotting sharkmeat that has been fermeted for months until it pongs like brie. Apparently though it tastes like rotting shark meat.

Che

« Reply #44 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »
I imagine some pretty odd pieces of animal go into cheap sausages and meat pies ("100% beef" means it came from a cow, no more, no less) but once they're minced and well flavoured, you don't notice.
I had assumed beef meant meat, as in skeletal muscle. I'm willing to stand corrected, however.

« Reply #45 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »
I had assumed beef meant meat, as in skeletal muscle. I'm willing to stand corrected, however.

It certainly means lung, lips, gonads etc along with muscle.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #46 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:54:29 pm »

Try a search for MRM, or mechanically recovered meat, then see if you stop eating burgers, pies and sossidges
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #47 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:23:19 pm »
Not I.  I'll boil up a carcass to make stock, soup and stew - MRM's no different.  Less wasteful!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.